Stihl MS291 help

/ Stihl MS291 help #1  

Shaneard

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford 4630, Two IH 140's, John Deere A
A friend of mine bought this saw off ebay back in February and just got around to cranking it yesterday. He text me and says "it's not oiling, can you look at it?". Me liking a good challenge said yes. I took the cover off and saw this heat rash around the drum. He ordered a new clutch, needle bearing, drum, etc. What is that piece of wire around the crankshaft? Is it an oil slinger to keep excess oil off the clutch? I told him never buy anything with an engine off ebay again. He may have learned his lesson this time, for my sake I hope he did :laughing:

IMG_7265.jpg

/ Stihl MS291 help #2  
What is that piece of wire around the crankshaft?

View attachment 606840

Some Stihl, adjustable and non-adjustable, saws run their oilers off the wire driven worm gear that locks into the notch in the clutch drum. As such, they do not oil until the clutch is engaged. The 291 have what are called 'variable displacement' oilers, but they are not adjustable.If cutting in real cold weather i have diluted bar oil useing Rapeseed ( canola oil ) for better flow , provideing all holes/paths etc are free and clean etc . Thats where imo the metal caseings heat up and give better oil flow than some of the plastic caseings with non adj oilers. I'am no expert but do own a ms291 . Many others here that repair or cut for a living could give you better answers or advise .

/ Stihl MS291 help #3  
Bull breaker is right. That little wire is the drive for the oil pump.

I bought a ms460 off ebay last winter. It also need a bar oiler. The saw cuts and runs great. Saved roughly $250 off buying used localy.

I checked out alot of junk on ebay before i got this one.

/ Stihl MS291 help #4  
The clutch drum should have a little notch in it and the spring (the part you referenced) fits into it. As said before it drives the oiler. I have included the parts list for the 291. The pdf says 271, but is also for the 291. If you send me an e-mail address, I can e-mail you the service manual for the 291.

You may also want to look into a full chisel chain (yellow link). If he has an 18 inch bar this should be the part number 3639 005 0074.

Here is a Stihl link on the full chisel

RAPID Super (RS) | Extremely Fast-Cutting Saw Chain | STIHL USA

Attachments

• MS271_parts_list_best.pdf
    618 KB · Views: 249
   / Stihl MS291 help #5  
Looks like someone ran the saw with the chain brake engaged and cooked it a bit.

/ Stihl MS291 help
Thanks for the help everyone, especially for the manuals! I have installed a new clutch, drum, needle bearing, oil pump, oil hose, and worm gear. Still trying to figure out why it's not getting oil to the chain.

/ Stihl MS291 help #7  
Check the oil passage holes in the bar and make sure that the wire on the pump engages into the slot on the clutch drum. I had a 029 Super (same saw as the current 291) years ago that did have an adjustable pump, make sure it is turned up.

/ Stihl MS291 help #8  
Did you check the pickup in the tank? You should be able to fill the tank and oil should drip out the hose without the pump on. Make sure that wire is good and engaged into the clutch and gear. I think they stopped making these adjustable to cheapen them up a bit. I would prime the pump too, shouldn't have too, but doesn't hurt.

/ Stihl MS291 help #9  
Service manual for a MS 290.

Attachments

• MS290, MS310, MS390 sm.pdf
    2.6 MB · Views: 258