Hydraulic Hose Fittings Wearing Into Seat

/ Hydraulic Hose Fittings Wearing Into Seat #1  

snymat68

Platinum Member
Tractor
RK24H, Gravely 8123
When the backhoe is removed from my RK24, the only real way to "stow" the tractor-side hydraulic hoses out of the way is to tuck them up behind the seat. This keeps them out of the way of the 3pt.

The problem is that 40+ hrs of the fittings rubbing against the seat back has caused them to wear into the plastic. You can see black plastic "dust" on the circled fitting in the picture.

I came up with a simple fix, using the existing fasteners on the seat, to prevent a hole from wearing completely through.

03.png

01.jpg

02.jpg

/ Hydraulic Hose Fittings Wearing Into Seat #2  
Is it necessary to connect the hydraulic lines when the backhoe is removed, I haven't seen this in the manual. I have removed my backhoe several times and never connected them together on my RK 24.

/ Hydraulic Hose Fittings Wearing Into Seat
Is it necessary to connect the hydraulic lines when the backhoe is removed, I haven't seen this in the manual. I have removed my backhoe several times and never connected them together on my RK 24.
Yes definitely. The two big lines connect. The small one gets capped.

/ Hydraulic Hose Fittings Wearing Into Seat #4  
I have put probably 30hrs on my tractor without the backhoe attached and have not connected the hydraulic lines together, just did my 50hr service and haven't seen any I'll effects. Do you think I have done any damage, and why is this not clearly stated in the manual? All my hydraulic lines have caps for them so I assumed you cap them off when not in use.

I have put probably 30hrs on my tractor without the backhoe attached and have not connected the hydraulic lines together, just did my 50hr service and haven't seen any I'll effects. Do you think I have done any damage, and why is this not clearly stated in the manual? All my hydraulic lines have caps for them so I assumed you cap them off when not in use.
I'm pretty sure those allow the oil to circulate for the 3pt hitch to function properly.

/ Hydraulic Hose Fittings Wearing Into Seat #6  
I haven't used the three point hitch other than the mid mount mower using it and it seemed to work like it should.

I haven't used the three point hitch other than the mid mount mower using it and it seemed to work like it should.
From another forum not specific to our tractors but it still applies...

"The looping of the lines completes your power beyond circuit, this is why it is very important to shut off your tractor before disconnecting lines, then reconnect and start tractor. If you stop the flow of power beyond it must use the internal pressure release which strains the system and heats the fluid like a boiler."

Basically, without connecting those lines together you're deadheading the fluid and forcing it through the spring loaded relief orifice. You definitely need to connect them. I'm surprised your tractor hasn't been making a squealing sound every time you raise the deck from forcing the fluid through the relief.

/ Hydraulic Hose Fittings Wearing Into Seat #8  
Thanks for the info, I haven't had any issues but will definitely connect them from now on. Hopefully at just over 50hrs I haven't done any damage. I can't believe this is not made clear to people who are buying these tractors.

/ Hydraulic Hose Fittings Wearing Into Seat #9  
Thanks for the info, I haven't had any issues but will definitely connect them from now on. Hopefully at just over 50hrs I haven't done any damage. I can't believe this is not made clear to people who are buying these tractors.

I'm sure you'll notice more power on your tractor and a change on the engine sound (as in not loaded) once you connect the lines. Pumping 4.2 GPM at 1800 PSI will eat about 5 hp from the engine.