Disc Harrow Can I buy a big disc harrow and reduce by removing blades

/ Can I buy a big disc harrow and reduce by removing blades #1  

Weekend Strada

Tractor
Case IH JX75T
Newbie here. Bought a second hand 75hp. I reckon I should be getting a 16 x 24 disc harrow.

There is a great deal on a 20x24 second hand which I know is too much.

Any experience or recommendation if I can get the big harrow and remove 2 discs each row (one on both sides)? Thanks in advance.

/ Can I buy a big disc harrow and reduce by removing blades #2  
I don't know for sure, but I would try. Disks are priced very much to size and if you can get a bigger one cheap, go for it. Then you have SPARE disks and bearings too. Is it adjustable for angle of attack?

/ Can I buy a big disc harrow and reduce by removing blades
They're not, but the angle of attack isn't extreme. The way I was seeing it is that the frame would be big. But my guess is that the frame isn't as a problem as much as the friction of the disc into the soil?

/ Can I buy a big disc harrow and reduce by removing blades #4  
You often want EXTRA WEIGHT. People add all kinds of ballast.

I have a chunky 70 HP large frame JD. I am looking for a double 8 foot 3ph disk. For landscaping, the 3ph feature would be good, I think. Back up and lower if need be.

Got it. Let's see if I can close the deal then. Many thanks.

/ Can I buy a big disc harrow and reduce by removing blades #6  
Are you looking at a 20' disk for a 75hp tractor?

/ Can I buy a big disc harrow and reduce by removing blades #7  
Before you start tearing that new purchase apart - give it a try. You could be pleasantly surprised at what that big Case will pull.

/ Can I buy a big disc harrow and reduce by removing blades #8  
I've owned a few old raggedy disc harrows and it seems like I'd understand your description but I have to ask what 20x24 stands for. Is the harrow 20 ' wide and 24' long, are there 20 disc on front and 24 discs on the back, or do the numbers mean something else?
Because you say you are a newbie, I also have to ask whether you plan to break ground with this harrow or smooth ground that has already been broken with a turn plow or heavy duity disc. In my area, heavy disc harrows with wide spaced disc are used for the first plowing of a season and a lighter disc with closer spaced discs is used to smooth what the heavy disc turned over.

That would be 10discs, two rows each disc 24 inches. Front will be scalloped. Trailing type. I plan to pass first a 3 disc plough and then use this to break up the sods. Furrower as final pass for corn planting. Soil is on the hard side, it will be the first time we are running machinery over it. We just took over the area after decades undisturbed.

And thanks for your patience actually!