Caught my first one

/ Caught my first one
Eastern box turtles are getting rare around here. We used to see several each summer. I've only seen two in the last 20 years.

I believe that's the primary turtle that I'm always removing off the roads around my area. Always seem to be all over the place.

EDIT- after looking, and something I never knew, the Eastern Box turtle is the official state reptile of North Carolina. Guess it's them I've been moving across the road LOL

/ Caught my first one #43  
This box turtle came strolling through my BILs yard today.
IMG_20190615_190612204.jpg

My daughter said it hissed at her and I shared my new found knowledge that turtles don't hiss. :)

/ Caught my first one #44  
Makes them less scary to kids when they hear that, too. :laughing:

/ Caught my first one #45  
We get small turtles with a deathwish crossing the road, if you pick them up they pee on you and the stink lasts a long time.

/ Caught my first one #46  
I was going to help, but it hissed and was sticking it's head out way farther than I expected.
No way was I going to grab on and test the limits on how far! :eek:So just how far can they reach around with that snapper?

When I was a kid we would catch many painters and snappers and the only safe way we knew to pick up a snapper was by the tail. That worked well as long as you held him far enough away from your body! I have since learned that this method is not good for the turtle but it didn't seem to do them any harm back in the day.

/ Caught my first one #47  
I move snappers with a shovel, there's supposed to be one in each truck although sometimes I use one and forget to put it back.Years ago I came across one laying on her back in the middle of the road, most likely thanks to some Bozo who thought he was funny. All that I had was a backpack so I used it to protect my hands while I picked it up and set it in the ditch. It was pretty dried out but I had done all that I could do.
Why is it that I will help out a turtle, but not snakes which on occasion I have found who stayed out too long into the fall and got caught in the snow?

/ Caught my first one #48  
I move any turtle when I see them on the road.. Just have to be careful with the snappers..

/ Caught my first one #49  
Why is it that I will help out a turtle, but not snakes which on occasion I have found who stayed out too long into the fall and got caught in the snow?

Never saw a snake in the snow.. I have a bunch that scare the crap out of me every time I open my shed doors.. Northern water snakes, kind of aggressive to.. I normally send them on there way but once in a while I get a fat four footer that I have to dispatch because they won't leave without a fight..

/ Caught my first one #50  
My wife and I found a little garter snake sitting on a paved bike path trying to get some heat when there was an inch or two of snow on the ground a couple years back. It wasn't gonna work. The thing couldn't hardly move. I found a pile of warm leaves near the path and put it under them. Was a lot warmer in there with my hand, so maybe it had a better chance. Freak weather kills a lot of stuff. Plants and animals.