Clamp on bucket forks ? Recommendations

/ Clamp on bucket forks ? Recommendations #1  

CalG

Tractor
Hurlimann 435, Fordson E27n, Bolens HT-23, Kubota B7200
I'm looking to purchase a set of 42 inch length clamp on bucket forks. for misc and log handling.

Amazon has 'em, ebay has 'em, (small money too! $135) I'm sure the local tractor supply has 'em too.

Any to look for? Any to stay away from?

It's not a big tractor, 35hp with an Allied 195 loader.

/ Clamp on bucket forks ? Recommendations #2  
I used to have a set of heavy duty clamp on forks from Titan Attachments. Reasonable quality, good price and they did the trick. I would spend the cash on forged forks not tube forks. The forged ones are thinner, stiffer and stronger.

Clamp on forks are better than no forks, but they are often a pain. Never the right spread, not parallel, they move when you side load them and of course you cant see them due to the bucket.

/ Clamp on bucket forks ? Recommendations #3  
If you've found them on Amazon and Ebay you are on the right track. I've seen identical forks advertised by local dealers at double the price.

I don't remember the brand I bought but be sure to get the side-to-side accessory that clamps on to keep them parallel.

I have a sheet of plywood cut down to mount on a bedframe perimeter for stiffness, then that nailed to a pallet. It's ideal for carrying bulky stuff around on the forks - pruning debris, apple harvest bushels, lifting furniture up to the loft over the tractor stall. A very handy accessory.

Photo - an earlier smaller version of that pallet platform, in this case on a rear forks assembly I made.

/ Clamp on bucket forks ? Recommendations #4  
I have a set of Titans I bought for my old JD pin attach loader and they are better than nothing. Upgraded to MTL pallet forks when I got the LS and they are much easier to use and have more carrying capacity as they are SSQA so the load is closer to the pins.

If I were you, I would save up for a proper set assuming you have a SSQA.

It might make it easier to mount a camera for use as they are difficult to see.

/ Clamp on bucket forks ? Recommendations
I have a set of Titans I bought for my old JD pin attach loader and they are better than nothing. Upgraded to MTL pallet forks when I got the LS and they are much easier to use and have more carrying capacity as they are SSQA so the load is closer to the pins.

If I were you, I would save up for a proper set assuming you have a SSQA.

It might make it easier to mount a camera for use as they are difficult to see.

The Allied loader is not SSQA configuration. It's a pin on bucket.
Otherwise I would not be looking for the clamp on type forks.

From the Titan literature, the forged forks are over 80 lbs. each. That's a lot of lifting capacity to give away.
The tubular style (less expensive) forks weigh about 1/2 that.
I wonder how the clamping elements compare between forged and tubular?.

/ Clamp on bucket forks ? Recommendations #6  
clamp on forks are better than nothing but not close to as useful as a real set of SSQA forks

/ Clamp on bucket forks ? Recommendations #7  
$135 is a reasonable price. They may work for your needs, if not you aren’t out much.

/ Clamp on bucket forks ? Recommendations #8  
From the Titan literature, the forged forks are over 80 lbs. each. That's a lot of lifting capacity to give away.
The tubular style (less expensive) forks weigh about 1/2 that.
Another aspect to consider is a pair of 80 lbs each forks plus a crossbar semi-permanently mounted that keeps them parallel, will be a PIA to mount for a one-off 5 minute lift if you don't need them continually. If you need the greater capacity and the bucket is strong enough to lift that maximum, fine. But at that weight, buying more than you need greatly increases the inconvenience factor.

Here's what I bought, for a smaller tractor. 1500 lb capacity Titan forks with stabilizer bar, from palletforks.com. In 2013 they cost $169, shipping included.

Titan 43" LW Clamp on Pallet Forks 1,5 lb Capacity w/ Stabilizer Bar

At 100 lbs total weight, that's as much weight as I want to drag into position to use them for a moment, if I've left them on uneven ground. (When stored on a flat floor they are easier to mount but you still have to lift each fork to slide it full-depth onto the bucket).

Another aspect to consider is a pair of 80 lbs each forks plus a crossbar semi-permanently mounted that keeps them parallel, will be a PIA to mount for a one-off 5 minute lift if you don't need them continually. If you need the greater capacity and the bucket is strong enough to lift that maximum, fine. But at that weight, buying more than you need greatly increases the inconvenience factor.

Here's what I bought, for a smaller tractor. 1500 lb capacity Titan forks with stabilizer bar, from palletforks.com. In 2013 they cost $169, shipping included.

Titan 43" LW Clamp on Pallet Forks 1,5�� lb Capacity w/ Stabilizer Bar

At 100 lbs total weight, that's as much weight as I want to drag into position to use them for a moment, if I've left them on uneven ground. (When stored on a flat floor they are easier to mount but you still have to lift each fork to slide it full-depth onto the bucket).

Thanks for the reference. Titan forks on order.

The Titan forks arrived yesterday.

All boxed up, that steel is heavy. I'm happy not to have purchased the extra mass of the forged solid forks.

The 43" length may be best for pallets, but they may be a bit much for the Allied 195 loader bucket. I'll need to give a watchful eye to keep from tearing things up. I'm sure at full length they will be too much for handling logs. I might cut them off, or order out a set of the 30" units. I'm sure they will handle turning the compost pile and moving brush ;-)

The best solution would be a bigger tractor and loader:) but that is a different issue that I don't need to go into.