Case/IH 685 3-Point Lift Control Tension Adjust, DIY Knobs, Labeling

/ Case/IH 685 3-Point Lift Control Tension Adjust, DIY Knobs, Labeling #1  

Argonne

Gold Member
Tractor
JD2210, Ford 4400, Case IH 685, Terramite T7, JD 6x4 M-Gator
Little of everything here:

First off, the 3-point lift lever on my 685 requires about 40 lbs of force to move. I assume (hope) that there is a simple tension adjustment for that, but I thought I would ask before I went exploring and broke something. Is the bolt through the "puck" holding the lift and other lever used for tension adjust, or is it somewhere else? (See pic with arrow).

Secondly, the labels for the controls are long gone. The owner's manual is really no help as it covers a bunch of models, none of which seem to apply exactly to this Brit made model. Is it possible that someone with a 685 could take a pic of your controls and upload it? I want to label them so next time I need draft I don't need to figure it out again.

Finally, as you can see, I have several knobs missing. Has anyone figured out an adequate and cheap DIY method of re-installing knobs on these types of levers?

20190719_103426-picsay.jpg 20190719_103446.jpg

Attachments

• 20190719_103426.jpg
    20190719_103426.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 388
   / Case/IH 685 3-Point Lift Control Tension Adjust, DIY Knobs, Labeling #2  
Get knobs from Case IH. They are rubber and just push down onto the shank. They were $10 each or so when I got some a few years ago.

#1 Raise Response (missing round knob) #2 PTO

#3 Draft Control (missing square knob) #4 Position Control

#5 Remote Valve

Never had to adjust my 3pt tension.

/ Case/IH 685 3-Point Lift Control Tension Adjust, DIY Knobs, Labeling #3  
This picture may help. 763C7ACF-FA63-4B14-BAA4-59E491F7A747.jpeg

/ Case/IH 685 3-Point Lift Control Tension Adjust, DIY Knobs, Labeling #5  
584 with ZF axle and dual remotes?

I don't own a 84/85 series, but I am shopping for a tractor and those series and the 95s, are some of the tractors I'm considering.

IIRC the picture is from a 685XL, but not sure it was on Tractor House a while back. I saved the picture because I wanted to know what the levers operated.

Yes it has dual remotes. I have seen some with three remotes.

/ Case/IH 685 3-Point Lift Control Tension Adjust, DIY Knobs, Labeling #6  
I don't own a 84/85 series, but I am shopping for a tractor and those series and the 95s, are some of the tractors I'm considering.

IIRC the picture is from a 685XL, but not sure it was on Tractor House a while back. I saved the picture because I wanted to know what the levers operated.

Yes it has dual remotes. I have seen some with three remotes.

Not an XL since it has the open station metal shrouding that is left in place when an add on cab like a SIMS or Laurin is fitted.

Has the 4x4 lever which wasn't used for the inline axle on the 85 series here either. They used an electric switch.

Have single remote on a 95 series here, does have the slots for 3 though.

/ Case/IH 685 3-Point Lift Control Tension Adjust, DIY Knobs, Labeling #7  
Tention adjust at the nut whre the leverpivots. Just a little tighter helps a lot

/ Case/IH 685 3-Point Lift Control Tension Adjust, DIY Knobs, Labeling
Thank you all. I finally found a pic of the stock decals and solved my labeling question. When I posted (and for a day or so) the IH parts site was down. As for the tension adjust, the adjuster nuts are all rounded off. I was trying to get them off with penetrating oil and vice grips (didn't want to use heat not knowing the composition of the friction washers), but they wouldn't budge. The good news is, all of that penetrating oil I sprayed in there freed up the lever to exactly the tension it needs to be, so life is good.