The Log house Project begins........

/ The Log house Project begins........ #2,331  
$27 is a decent price. I bought 300 of them for my build and figure I milled out another 100 longer or specialty ones. Cedar certainly is now my favorite wood to build anything,.... especially a house.
:

Interesting comparison for me as when I built my log cabin in early '60's I negotiated and paid $2.00 each for mine and that was pealed and delivered across the lake, The logger floated them together tied up up as a raft.
Gave him $100. late fall as down payment balance in spring COD.
He signed a 'contract' with his " X ". Being as how this is all crown land in the area it was all profit to him.

/ The Log house Project begins........ #2,332  
I lied....it's not completely "done"....but it's close enough. Yes, with the threat of golfball sized man killin hail and massive Tornado's here, I finished the door by installing TNMike's forged straps down at the shop. I then layed it on the forks for transport up to the house. No help(as usual), so I figured..."what the heck, git r done".
The install went well and I still need to trim out the door and make a threshold, put acorn nuts on the inside bolt ends, then paint them flat black. I scuffed up the door a bit sliding on the forks, but some Tung oil will take acre of that:
What are the acorn nuts for on your front door? Did you use all thread with the screws I saw in the photo.
hugs, Brandi

/ The Log house Project begins........
#2,333  
Mine averaged 90 lbs.

The acorn nuts went on the end of the bolts used to go thru the door then the metal straps.....just nicer looking than regular nuts.

#2,334  
Interesting comparison for me as when I built my log cabin in early '60's I negotiated and paid $2.00 each for mine and that was pealed and delivered across the lake, The logger floated them together tied up up as a raft.
Gave him $100. late fall as down payment balance in spring COD.
He signed a 'contract' with his " X ". Being as how this is all crown land in the area it was all profit to him.

Mine were $20 ea, so for 50ish years I reckon that inflation was not too bad then ;)

/ The Log house Project begins........ #2,335  
Mine averaged 90 lbs.

The acorn nuts went on the end of the bolts used to go thru the door then the metal straps.....just nicer looking than regular nuts.

90 pounds? That’s the logs you built with? Wow, mine average 2800 pounds each.

#2,337  
Somehow, I lost this thread on my feed. Good to see you back motorseven. Are you all healed up?

Yep, new total knee replacement on 9 May is doing fantastic. Since I hit my $10K deductible, I scheduled the other knee for 26 Nov...it will be 'free'.
Man, I gotta split some firewood before then........:eek:

/ The Log house Project begins........ #2,339  
Yep, new total knee replacement on 9 May is doing fantastic. Since I hit my $10K deductible, I scheduled the other knee for 26 Nov...it will be 'free'.
Man, I gotta split some firewood before then........:eek:
Good to hear from you. I’ve been debating knee replacement for several years. Just too chicken to go for it.

/ The Log house Project begins........ #2,340  
Good to hear from you. I’ve been debating knee replacement for several years. Just too chicken to go for it.

My 90 year old mom says she regrets hers, but I wonder just how bad her real knee would have been 18 years later......