Website concerns that I need advice on

/ Website concerns that I need advice on #1  

EddieWalker

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Several, all used and abused.
Welcome

This is the website for a club that my wife and I belong to that helps out the breed of dogs that we show with AKC. It's a registered charity that holds events a few times a year and then sends checks to different groups and people that are doing good things for Akita's in need.

Over the years the Board of Directors has lost track of what was happening to the money. Mostly it was just accepted the everyone was honest and did what was best for the breed. Last year my wife and another member started to audit the expenses and they found some issues.

The person running the website has not provided any receipts or invoices on what the website costs or who it is with. Today she tried to take $250 out of the PayPal account to reimburse herself for the website. She does this every year. 2017, 2018, and now 2019. After telling her that she no longer has access to the PayPal account and that she has to submit an invoice to be reimbursed for her out of pocket expense on the website, she emailed a copy of a picture of a Paypal bill that she paid for the hotakitaclub registration for 2019-2021, which is for two years. This raised more red flags and we're wondering why she has been paying this every year if it's supposed to be for two years?

How do you find out who owns the website and what they charge for it? Or what a normal fee would be for such a simple website that really doesn't do anything?

/ Website concerns that I need advice on #3  
Domain Information
Domain:
hotakitaclub.com
Registrar:
PDR Ltd. d/b/a PublicDomainRegistry.com
Registered On:
2015-09-05
Expires On:
2020-09-05
Updated On:
2019-09-01
clientTransferProhibited
Name Servers:
ns1.thecloudwebsiteserver.com
ns2.thecloudwebsiteserver.net
ns3.thecloudwebsiteserver.org
Registrant Contact
Name:
Domain Admin
Organization:
Privacy Protect, LLC (PrivacyProtect.org)
Street:
10 Corporate Drive
City:
Burlington
State:
MA
Postal Code:
US
Phone:
+1.8022274003
Email:
email@privacyprotect.org

/ Website concerns that I need advice on #4  
I love the assumption of guilt. She runs it.......at the next meeting have the treasure ask to see the site that charges the funds. The history should be fairly clear from there. Direct communication is always best.

Every board member has the same fiduciary responsibility. So a lack of accounting for several years doesn’t suddenly get pushed onto one person- everyone shares the blame for this.

Sounds like a bunch of rats on a sinking ship.

/ Website concerns that I need advice on
I love the assumption of guilt. She runs it.......at the next meeting have the treasure ask to see the site that charges the funds. The history should be fairly clear from there. Direct communication is always best.

Every board member has the same fiduciary responsibility. So a lack of accounting for several years doesn’t suddenly get pushed onto one person- everyone shares the blame for this.

Sounds like a bunch of rats on a sinking ship.

Why do you think that I'm assuming anything? We have a long list of things that she has spent money on that have nothing to do with helping out Akita's.

Since I do not understand websites, I was hoping for advice on how to figure out what one should cost. Does $250 per year sound right? Does the copy of the PayPal bill that says the payment is for two years sound right? and why has she spent this amount in 2017 and 2018 if it's an every other year?

Our concern is that she is also running a website for her personal kennel and using the funds from the Akita Rescue to pay for her personal stuff.

We are just starting to try and figure out what is going on with the website. She was blocked from access to the Paypal account because she has not produced receipts or a reason for spending $400 on custom collars and leads for dogs under 20 pounds. My female Akita weighs 92 pounds and my male is 110 and growing. We are also waiting for a receipt or invoice on why she spent $600 on aquarium supplies. So far, we cannot figure out that one.

Not sure why you consider us "rats" on a sinking ship? We did manage to donate over $2,000 to a variety of shelters the first half of this year, so we're not big time or anything like that, but maybe we'll get better and no longer be considered "rats" by some.

/ Website concerns that I need advice on #6  
$250 yr for website could be ok, could be too much. It depends on level of service. Are they hosting email or other services?

/ Website concerns that I need advice on #7  
$250 yr for website could be ok, could be too much. It depends on level of service. Are they hosting email or other services?
Exactly, in many cases if you sign up for paid web hosting, they will pay for your domain so the length of time that the domain is registered for is not necessarily an indication of how much it is costing each year for domain registration.
If you're doing web hosting and email and some background services to have interactive pieces on the site and an easy path to program with interface, $250 a year is not unreasonable for web hosting.

Aaron Z

/ Website concerns that I need advice on #8  
Eddie, you guys have already lost faith in her. Thrre's no recovery from this. Replace her if you have the authority.

/ Website concerns that I need advice on #9  
I pay about $70 including the domain name.

One thing I noticed is some conflicting information on the registrar in the WhoIs file. I saw something about $35/year for a .com which is ridiculous when most are $10 or less. But then they also said they don't sell to individuals, so I got confused.

I wasn't able to ID the webhost though to see what their published rates are.

/ Website concerns that I need advice on #10  
One idea for the future is that some of the organizations that I belong to send out (or make available) to members the meeting notes which INCLUDE all expenses (and financial transactions) that have occurred since the last meeting. They are presented and approved (or not) at that meeting and that information is included in the notes. The "public" record of the finances helps keep everything above board and keeps everyone aware of the money. Keep up the good work!