Adding a slipper clutch to a Betstco Flail Mower?

/ Adding a slipper clutch to a Betstco Flail Mower? #1  

DarkHelmet

Tractor
Mahindra 2538 HST Cab
Just got my mower and I love it, but on my first time out the shear bolt broke. Not really sure why because I didn't hit anything and engaged the PTO at about 1200RPM and rolled it up.

This brought me to thinking about changing out my PTO shaft for one with a clutch. First of all my present PTO shaft is too long and would have to be cut down anyway, but it would save me having to deal with shear bolts. Anyone else try this with their flail mower? Good idea or bad idea?

Thanks

/ Adding a slipper clutch to a Betstco Flail Mower? #2  
About your flail mower,

you should only be engaging it at the low engine idle, As far as a slip clutch some units have them and 95% do not and the
impairment will become evident if you have to mow thick brush that has not been mowed in a long time.
It will save you blowing out a set of belts when it stalls on heavy brush and that's all.

/ Adding a slipper clutch to a Betstco Flail Mower? #3  
Don't give up on the shear bolt system yet. If it becomes a recurring problem, maybe. Slips have their own set of issues. Buy 1/2 dozen bolts and and keep a couple of wrenches in your toolbox. It should be a rare event to shear a bolt.

/ Adding a slipper clutch to a Betstco Flail Mower? #4  
Shear bolts are quick and easy. They’re just grade #2 bolts, right?

/ Adding a slipper clutch to a Betstco Flail Mower? #5  
Sheared one bolt, one time. Put it in gear at higher rpm. Replaced and now engage it at idle and bring it up. I also keep extra bolts in tool box. One bolt per year, I can handle.

/ Adding a slipper clutch to a Betstco Flail Mower? #6  
slip clutches are only used on high quality equipment, it costs a bit more for a good quality slip clutch vs. shear bolts, this is one reason why the lower end equipment uses shear bolts.. the other is sales of shear bolts!..

/ Adding a slipper clutch to a Betstco Flail Mower? #7  
I think a slip clutch is a great idea. They do require more maintenance than shear bolts, but getting at the shear bolt to replace it is a pain even if the replacement itself is simple.

Only reason I haven't gone that route is my Betst flail is brand new and I haven't sheared a bolt, yet. If it becomes too aggravating, slip clutch it will be.

I can't believe those pooh-pooing the idea have actually tried a slip clutch, I just don't see the downsides they do.

/ Adding a slipper clutch to a Betstco Flail Mower? #8  
Just got my mower and I love it, but on my first time out the shear bolt broke. Not really sure why because I didn't hit anything and engaged the PTO at about 1200RPM and rolled it up.

This brought me to thinking about changing out my PTO shaft for one with a clutch. First of all my present PTO shaft is too long and would have to be cut down anyway, but it would save me having to deal with shear bolts. Anyone else try this with their flail mower? Good idea or bad idea?

Thanks

I installed a slip clutch on my Kubota B7510HST to handle a 4-ft Yanmar 1200 rototiller. Had to shorten the PTO shaft and use longer lower arms on the 3 point hitch to get it fitted. Borrowed those arms from my 1964 MF135 diesel.

Rototiller Bota-2.JPGRototiller Bota-1 (1).JPGRototiller attachment.JPG

Good luck

/ Adding a slipper clutch to a Betstco Flail Mower? #9  
I think a slip clutch is a great idea. They do require more maintenance than shear bolts, but getting at the shear bolt to replace it is a pain even if the replacement itself is simple.

Only reason I haven't gone that route is my Betst flail is brand new and I haven't sheared a bolt, yet. If it becomes too aggravating, slip clutch it will be.

I can't believe those pooh-pooing the idea have actually tried a slip clutch, I just don't see the downsides they do.

=======================================================================================

I have a Hilliard slip clutch on my Mathews Company Lawn Genie pick up mower and it works very well but its a motorized flail mower that operates at 3,300 RPM reduced to 2200 RPM at the flail mower rotor.

A PTO slip clutch is more beneficial for a ground engaging implement like a rototiller or power harrow.

As long as the flail mower is run properly there is no need for one.