How To Mow Farther Toward Treeline

/ How To Mow Farther Toward Treeline #1  

drizler

Platinum Member
I致e got the typical tree line burdock scrub encroachment that痴 been going on forever. I don稚 hay the field but I do mine with a 5 foot brush hog deck behind my Massey. Tell me is there anyway to get my deck to offset further To one side about buying any special gear? I keep ripping loose my rear light on that side and have had enough of it. I do plan on relocating both lights to the inside of the ROPS which will help but I壇 really like to get the hog off to the side as well. IDEAS.??

/ How To Mow Farther Toward Treeline #2  
I just back into that stuff. Takes longer, but it works.

/ How To Mow Farther Toward Treeline #3  
Old 9 foot sickle bar mower would work

/ How To Mow Farther Toward Treeline #4  
You can just your 3-point a little to one side but how far is the question.

Two thoughts: (Thinking out loud AGAIN) !

1) Is your Brush Hog wider than your tractor ?
The Brush Hog is wider by 6", and with a little side adjustment it can be sticking out almost that amount.

2) What about a shield around the Taillight ?

Also, I too back into scrub with the Brush Hog raised as high as it will go,I low it slowly and USUALLY it cut pretty good. A couple of passes and the bush is gone. Not sure it is a good practice or not but it works for me and now I read that someone else does it...seville009 !
Once the big stuff is backed over, then I stat the usual back and forth movement and after about the this cutting the bushes are gone, some of the smaller, 3/4" - 1", scrub is cut up to fine pieces.

/ How To Mow Farther Toward Treeline
You can just your 3-point a little to one side but how far is the question.

Two thoughts: (Thinking out loud AGAIN) !

1) Is your Brush Hog wider than your tractor ?
The Brush Hog is wider by 6", and with a little side adjustment it can be sticking out almost that amount.

2) What about a shield around the Taillight ?

Also, I too back into scrub with the Brush Hog raised as high as it will go,I low it slowly and USUALLY it cut pretty good. A couple of passes and the bush is gone. Not sure it is a good practice or not but it works for me and now I read that someone else does it...seville009 !
Once the big stuff is backed over, then I stat the usual back and forth movement and after about the this cutting the bushes are gone, some of the smaller, 3/4" - 1", scrub is cut up to fine pieces.

Too bad as far as I can get to the side itç—´ just even with the edge of the tire. Probably the best thing I致e ever done that tractor with is dismount the entire ROPS. That let me finally get up underneath much farther than you imagine. Even the bottom uprights snag on everything and there is no way to keep from bashing my lights. Theyæ±*e. just far enough to the side that, I couldn稚 quite keep branches off of the light. As for the shield itç—´ nothing more than a false sense of security. I致e that light on enough times that I finally started using adhesive silicon so it値l break off easier. I can now sit there with that battery powered trimmer and knock off most of that overhang that I couldn稚 quite reach before. It値l work well enough and the chainsaw the bigger stuff.
I do have a Very sharp BXpanded Piranha tooth bar that works on some of it. Unfortunately those 1 to 2 inch saplings 10 or just fold over and scrapes across the top much of the time. Between them all it値l happen, just take time.
Before That ROPS Goes back on the lower part it痴 going to be modified. I知 going to cut that mounting plate off that sticks out and put them facing inwards. That way the light unit will be far less easily damaged. I don稚 do much road driving anyways and never at night.

/ How To Mow Farther Toward Treeline #6  
So how wide is your tractor and the Brush Hog ?

If the Brush Hog is not wider than the tractor, IMHO..., I think you need a larger one.

My Tractor is abut 58" wide and my Brush Hog is 60", this works for me, it is only two inches wider BUT it will adjust to one side or the other and extend the cut by about 2 additional inches.

Is that enough, for your application or maybe a wider cutter is needed, $$$, but sometimes it is just better to get another wider one than fool around with something that isn't going to work no-how !

/ How To Mow Farther Toward Treeline #7  
Trade the brush hog in for an offsetting flail mower, I have whats called a ditch bank unit that swings out on an arm. Can cut vertical too. It mulches the grass and does not leave clumps Will get to about 4 feet from the edge of the tire. Some will reach further depending on your tractor. Many have reported they can cut faster with the flail too.

/ How To Mow Farther Toward Treeline #8  
Trade the brush hog in for an offsetting flail mower, I have whats called a ditch bank unit that swings out on an arm. Can cut vertical too. It mulches the grass and does not leave clumps Will get to about 4 feet from the edge of the tire. Some will reach further depending on your tractor. Many have reported they can cut faster with the flail too.

What he said ^ :thumbsup:

I have an offset flail on order and should get next week. I bought it for your exact need as well as pond edges and some vertical trimming.

/ How To Mow Farther Toward Treeline #9  
I have(had) a very similar problem.Six foot brush hog and loosing cab lights.With my brush(10-12' tough stuff) backing in just lifts the hog up+I have miles of hedge rows and backing in isn't practical.
I hired a Skid Steer and FECON head and he beat back mine and now I can keep up.

/ How To Mow Farther Toward Treeline #10  
MK Martin has an offset 3 point hitch with the pto built in to work with your existing 3 point implements, they have it in a 60' and an 84";
MK Martin | Axis Tool Arm