How To Mow Farther Toward Treeline

/ How To Mow Farther Toward Treeline #12  
Save money and modify the cutter you already have.

Mount your 3-point A-frame on a sliding tube. Here's the first example I found.

https://farmimplements.com.au/implement/h-range-rotary-cutter/

Or make a set of alternate mounting points like this. The pins are in the offset position.

alternate-offset-3pt-mounts.jpg

Bruce

/ How To Mow Farther Toward Treeline #14  
The dealer that had it when I looked at one wanted several thousand for it, it has been a while but I want to say around 4 but don't quote me on that it was more then I wanted to pay and it couldn't handle my 8 ft brush hog.

/ How To Mow Farther Toward Treeline #15  
I like the suggestion of getting a sickle mower. Those aren't cheap either.

How far off to the side do you want to offset your 8' brush hog?

/ How To Mow Farther Toward Treeline #16  
Every few years I just take an excavator and bat down the long limbs that stick out into the fields looking for light, and while I am there, dig up any brush that is encroaching. Once you do it, you can then mow further back.

I figured it out, and the first year I did this, I gained an extra 7 acres on one field alone. I did not think that was right so I did the math again...yep 7 acres!

It was 50 feet from the rockwall to where the hay was mown, and it is exactly one mile around this field. 50 ft times 5,280 feet equals 264,000 square feet. At 43,000 square feet to the acre, I took back 7 acres of land! Over the years I have really increased the amount of fields I have.

/ How To Mow Farther Toward Treeline #18  
I like the suggestion of getting a sickle mower. Those aren't cheap either.

How far off to the side do you want to offset your 8' brush hog?

I wanted to offset the whole 8 ft anyway maybe a bit more plus be able to tilt up and down, just like a heavy duty offset at less cost.

/ How To Mow Farther Toward Treeline #19  
I致e got the typical tree line burdock scrub encroachment that痴 been going on forever. I don稚 hay the field but I do mine with a 5 foot brush hog deck behind my Massey. Tell me is there anyway to get my deck to offset further To one side about buying any special gear? I keep ripping loose my rear light on that side and have had enough of it. I do plan on relocating both lights to the inside of the ROPS which will help but I壇 really like to get the hog off to the side as well. IDEAS.??

Is that your backhoe in your profile picture? I use my backhoe to remove saplings and branches where I want to mow so I can get in close to the tree and maintain it. Ounce you have all the underbrush removed, it's pretty easy to either break off the low hanging branches with the backhoe, or for a cleaner look, get the chainsaw out and make it pretty. It's time consuming, so I only do so much at a time, but once it's done, it's super easy to maintain afterwards.

/ How To Mow Farther Toward Treeline #20  
IMG_0050.jpgIMG_0225.jpg59355485580__BBC8A2E1-337E-4242-9AEB-00D060C9390D.JPGIMG_0218.jpg
I have(had) a very similar problem.Six foot brush hog and loosing cab lights.With my brush(10-12' tough stuff) backing in just lifts the hog up+I have miles of hedge rows and backing in isn't practical.
I hired a Skid Steer and FECON head and he beat back mine and now I can keep up.

I do this for customers.
I rent a machine and cuts back years of field overgrowth. It's expensive, though. Cheapest weekly rental I could find was $3000/wk. Ssometimes I can use the wing of my CX-15, but even with 4-5' of overhang, it's not enough.
I had to do some of my own fields over the years and I'm really cheap, so reluctantly I bought a Stihl FS560 brush cutter and cut the brush myself (mostly autumn and Russian olive, stickers and vines). I pull the brush pieces into openings where I could pile it up in small piles, then grind it up with my Kubota M-135x and 15' Deere CX-15 into wood chips. If the chips end up in the field, I take the hay rake and whisk the chips off the grass and into the woods.

I have had a lot of success doing this and have turned at least 30 acres of wasteland back into the productive farm fields they once were. I'm doing a large area of brush now. It's been fantastic exercise for my health and I'm gaining more and more bales of hay, so it pays for itself in the long run.

Sorry for the sideways picture. I find this website incredibly difficult for uploading photos.

Attachments

• 59319729441__61F68F6A-5AB5-4E64-820D-010895862358.JPG
    59319729441__61F68F6A-5AB5-4E64-820D-010895862358.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 148
Last edited: