Yanmar YT3 series (YT347/YT359) IHMT/I-HMT Transmission workings

/ Yanmar YT3 series (YT347/YT359) IHMT/I-HMT Transmission workings
Has the tractor continued to be good for you? Does it still have three mechanical ranges like a traditional HST?

Aside from heat buildup and possible efficiency advantages, I still think a standard HST is more productive, since shuttle action is never required. Particularly the Grand L Kubota which is the same size as this tractor and has hydro-dual speed.

Troverman, I'm at 315 hrs and I love the tractor. You should grab a copy of the specs for the two tractors and go through them spec by spec to see that the YT359 compares head to head with the Grand L 6060(as well as the equivalent Deere). Some of the features of each will mean more or less to you, depending on your use of the tractor. The dual pedal and rocker control HST systems have been creeping up in compact tractor horsepower. It used to be that you would not find such transmissions and controls on a 60hp. Yanmar and Kubota have drawn a different line. The controls on the YT359 resemble controls on higher horsepower tractors and I've found this to be a non-issue. Everybody's needs are different, so you need to try them both out, compare, evaluate and decide. For me, I could get a comparable tractor, made by the same company that for many years made all the lower horsepower John Deere tractors, for substantially less money. I felt it was a better over-all value and met my needs at least as well as the equivalent Deere or Kubota.

/ Yanmar YT3 series (YT347/YT359) IHMT/I-HMT Transmission workings #12  
For me, I could get a comparable tractor, made by the same company that for many years made all the lower horsepower John Deere tractors, for substantially less money. I felt it was a better over-all value and met my needs at least as well as the equivalent Deere or Kubota.
You nailed it. Both JD and Kubota were more money for less tractor when I was looking at them too.

I sold my Yanmar built JD 770 with around 1,800 hours on it. I had zero issues with that machine during the 13 years I owned it.

/ Yanmar YT3 series (YT347/YT359) IHMT/I-HMT Transmission workings #13  
I currently have a Grand L60 tractor. Don't get me wrong- I'm not saying anything negative about the Yanmar, just that I think ultimate productivity is a tad better with HST. Otherwise, I'm fascinated by the IHMT trans. I've had a Kubota Glideshift in the past as well.

Last edited:
   / Yanmar YT3 series (YT347/YT359) IHMT/I-HMT Transmission workings #14  
I currently have a Grand L60 tractor. Don稚 get me wrong- I知 not saying anything negative about the Yanmar, just that I think ultimate productivity is a tad better with HST. Otherwise, I知 fascinated by the IHMT trans. I致e had a Kubota Glideshift in the past as well.
If I was using the machine to make a living with ( thousands of hours of use a year), then I'd say the Kubota is probably a better machine. Personally, I'm not using my tractor to make a living with so I'm okay with it taking a little more extra time.

/ Yanmar YT3 series (YT347/YT359) IHMT/I-HMT Transmission workings #15  
In Yanmar's literature, I see two different PTO ratings - "at zero speed" and "at working speed." What's that all about?

/ Yanmar YT3 series (YT347/YT359) IHMT/I-HMT Transmission workings #16  
Depends on how you define productivity.

I know the Yanmar does a better job with less heat on heavy loads and earth work.

Being able to dial in the tranny for RPM and Speed is amazing for field and mowing work.

I have used both HST setups and the shuttle Yanmar has. For all the work I do it's a wash. Rock the petal or flip the shuttle, neither need a clutch and both work. Further with the A/B mode of the Yanmar I never have to play with the throttle.

Chris

/ Yanmar YT3 series (YT347/YT359) IHMT/I-HMT Transmission workings #17  
Depends on how you define productivity.

I know the Yanmar does a better job with less heat on heavy loads and earth work....Chris

The Yanmar's ability to generate less heat under heavy loads may be true, but I guess I'm not seeing HST transmissions blowing up doing the same work...so is it really an advantage?

/ Yanmar YT3 series (YT347/YT359) IHMT/I-HMT Transmission workings #18  
In Yanmar's literature, I see two different PTO ratings - "at zero speed" and "at working speed." What's that all about?
I am not sure what they are referring to. I run my tractor at 2,600RPMS when I'm using the PTO.

Can you provide a link to the doc you found ?

/ Yanmar YT3 series (YT347/YT359) IHMT/I-HMT Transmission workings #19  
   / Yanmar YT3 series (YT347/YT359) IHMT/I-HMT Transmission workings #20  
I am honestly not sure what the spec means. Maybe, it is the PTO HP ratings at idle and then at 2600 RPM's.

Another thing I do like about the Yanmar is that it isn't turbocharged. IMHO - that is one more possible thing that could break. I know turbo's are pretty reliable but I'll take a 4 cylinder non-turbocharged engine over a 3 cylinder turbocharged engine any day of the week at sea level.

The only knock that I have on the tractor so far is that the 3 point links could be longer. That problem is solved with a quick hitch but that opens up another can of worms.