Rural Internet

/ Rural Internet #1  

Dwellonroof

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 3046r
I thought I seen a post about getting internet for a vehicle and using it at home but I couldn't find the post.
I have a pole barn at another location and would like to get internet access but the only option is Hughes Net so I thought I would ask here what you are using.
BTW I'm wanting to install an old computer and put Blue Iris on it with 2 or 3 2mp cameras so I can keep an eye on things without breaking the bank. I'm wanting to do it this way because I have BI at home and it works great for me.

/ Rural Internet #2  
I'm using internet beamed from the top of a mountain by a local provider. This one IS a small local company. Verizon does offer some kind of internet through their phone system as do most other phone service providers. It may not be cheap but if you don't move a lot of data it can be an affordable option. There's a special internet adapter to connect to the computer and you may have to use their software to access it.

/ Rural Internet #5  
I use Verizon hotspot on my smartphone, it's rather slow at times but better than nothing. Hughesnet and ViaSat has not lived up to their promises according to friends who have tried them.

/ Rural Internet #7  
Yes, that's it.
When I go to att web site they ask for a vehicle vin number though.

They just want to confirm you own a vehicle with an OBDII socket. The Mobley draws power from that but adapters are readily available or easily made.

/ Rural Internet #9  
I thought I seen a post about getting internet for a vehicle and using it at home but I couldn't find the post.
I have a pole barn at another location and would like to get internet access but the only option is Hughes Net so I thought I would ask here what you are using.
BTW I'm wanting to install an old computer and put Blue Iris on it with 2 or 3 2mp cameras so I can keep an eye on things without breaking the bank. I'm wanting to do it this way because I have BI at home and it works great for me.

Dunno anything about Blue Iris. For rural Internet we're using Verizon 7730 Hotspot. If you are willing to wait a year, Starlink may revolutionize rural Internet: https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/rural-living/418734-starlink.html?highlight=