Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #12,361  
Does that lip on the edge of the deck get in the way of opening the door on the side of the welder?

That was a problem I didn't expect when I cobbled together a welder stand on wheels - so I let the stand go when I sold that welder.

I like your cabinet better.

I flipped the shelf over on my welder cart when I assembled it to avoid that problem.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #12,362  
Must be at the discretion of the store. I've been told as recently as a couple months ago that I can't use a coupon on an item that's on sale.

Possibly, but I think Eric Smidt runs way too tight an enterprise to leave that to a store's discretion! In fact, I think HF is so computerized now that the register will automatically decline to honor a coupon on an item that is ineligible for any reason at the time. Even the store managers are limited in what they can override.

I do know that when there's a weekend "sidewalk sale" going on, the generic coupon can't be used on an item that happens to be listed in the "sidewalk sale" flyer. I learned that a few months ago when I picked something off the shelf not realizing it was also featured as a sidewalk sale item.

Love them or not, the HF business model is pretty impressive as it continues to evolve. It is a real American success story that started as a father and son small business. Ironic, since their core business has always been selling non-American made goods, principally from Asia. :)

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #12,363  
The laser is interesting. You turn it on and off by pushing a button. So it's extremely easy to leave it on thinking it'll shut off when you stop cutting. ... it's easy to forget to turn it off ...]
For anything with a laser guide light I think its essential to remove the battery before storage, every time.

I ruined the new Ryobi battery ($40 to replace) that came with my Ryobi jigsaw, I think because I jumbled other tools on top of the jigsaw in storage and that turned the switch on.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #12,364  
Love them or not, the HF business model is pretty impressive as it continues to evolve. It is a real American success story that started as a father and son...
Kinda scary as a lesson too. After Eric became manager he brought in modern MBA and marketing types then booted Dad and Dad's old buddies out of the company. There's some history there. Eric, like *****, had been sent away to boarding school or something when he was little. 'Be kind to your kids, for they will be choosing your rest home'. :)

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #12,365  
A quick heads-up for anyone thinking of buying a big-ticket Central Machinery item like a vertical milling machine, mini metal lathe, stationary metal bandsaw, floor-mounted drill press, etc. HF has recently started excluding its Central Machinery brand from some of its 25% and 20% coupons. Example is the current 25% "Friends and Family" coupon. I suspect that's soon going to become a regular exclusion. However, I found this on the coupon data base site, good only for two days, Dec. 31, 2019 - Jan. 1, 2020:

View attachment 632450

I was half thinking about ordering their 9-speed vertical knee mill, but finally lay down til the feeling passed. :laughing:

You can buy as real Series 1 Bridgeport used in good condition for about the same money. All one has to do is check spindle runout and table leasdscrew lash and that is easy to do. Lots of Series 1's out there. Bridgeport parts are readily available. The China knee mill, not so much.

Overall, HF machine tools are substandard in quality and a little shopping will net you the real McCoy. Bridgeports have ABEC Class 2 bearings in the headstock and are adjustable for pre load. The China Mills aren't (adjustable nor quality bearings).

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #12,366  
For anything with a laser guide light I think its essential to remove the battery before storage, every time.

I ruined the new Ryobi battery ($40 to replace) that came with my Ryobi jigsaw, I think because I jumbled other tools on top of the jigsaw in storage and that turned the switch on.

You don't keep them in separate storage containers?? All of mine are separated. Piling tools up loose is a good way to break them!

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #12,367  

It's a corded jigsaw so as long as it's plugged in the laser will stay on unless you push the button to turn it off. Maybe when I turn the lights off in the shop it would be easier to see.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #12,368  
My latest HF tool that doesn't suck is the Chicago Electric Welding Cabinet (Item #62275). I was very pleasantly surprised at how sturdy and well-designed it is. It has three drawers. The top one has nice metal dividers for consumables like tips and such, but it doesn't pull out as far as the others. There is a storage bin in the bottom perfect for a welding helmet. It also has a platform on the back for a gas bottle.

For anyone interested, I made a video covering the specs, assembly and my first impressions of it:

I'll do an update on it down the road to report how it's holding up.

I have used this cart for several years and it is solid. Nice drawers and the bottom flip up door holds 3 or 4 HF 4.5in disposable grinders.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #12,369  
I have used this cart for several years and it is solid. Nice drawers and the bottom flip up door holds 3 or 4 HF 4.5in disposable grinders.

Found the smoke in another one this afternoon. Wasn't a HF, was a Porter Cable. Man did it stink but I did my typical thing, held the switch on until she sputtered to a stop. on a cloud of stinky smoke.

Always good to have spares on hand........:D

Beginning to think the Chinese cannot make a reliable motor.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #12,370  
You can buy as real Series 1 Bridgeport used in good condition for about the same money. All one has to do is check spindle runout and table leasdscrew lash and that is easy to do. Lots of Series 1's out there. Bridgeport parts are readily available. The China knee mill, not so much.

Overall, HF machine tools are substandard in quality and a little shopping will net you the real McCoy. Bridgeports have ABEC Class 2 bearings in the headstock and are adjustable for pre load. The China Mills aren't (adjustable nor quality bearings).

Kind of the same with all their power equipment!