ADD-A-Grapple ??????

/ ADD-A-Grapple ?????? #1  

Dan Lamb

Silver Member
Tractor
Branson 2400h TLB/ cab
Hey Gentlemen ,
Have been looking at the grapples for a year and have made a choice on a Wildcat grapple , but I see the add-a -grapple advertisements from some company痴 products-attachments do any of you guys have one what痴 your pros - cons have not seen any posts on them , Thanks , Dan

/ ADD-A-Grapple ?????? #2  
I'm not familiar with either brand. Checked out the web site for both. Add-a-grapple is a bucket grapple. Wildcat is a standard grapple. Either choice will require added hydraulics. Either a third function system or extension from your rear hydraulics - if your tractor has this.

There are advantages to both. The add-a-grapple uses and keeps the bucket. The Wildcat eliminates the weight of the bucket and gives added lifting ability.

I have a heavy duty grapple( Land Pride SGC 1560 ) and WR Long third function on my M6040. Since I installed the grapple five years ago - I've never changed back to use my bucket.

I have never heard anybody on TBN say that their choice was wrong or didn't work as they expected.

There are really HD grapples, such as the one I have, and there are lighter grapples. They all have their place and function.

A suggestion - whatever you decide - look for a unit that has grease-able joints. Properly maintained they could extend the grapples useful life.

If you go with a standard grapple - look for a unit that will connect easily with whatever connection system is currently on your FEL.

Check carefully on overall grapple weight vs strength. Extra heavy grapples may not necessarily mean extra strong grapples.

Remember - the heavier the unit you choose - the less you will be able to lift. My Kubota M6040 with grapple.

View attachment 635397

Last edited:
   / ADD-A-Grapple ?????? #3  
BTW - whatever you choose - consider the added protection by modifying your OEM grill guard. Sticks, stobs & limbs have a nasty habit of damaging your grill, radiator or battery. This is my modified OEM grill guard.

View attachment 635400

/ ADD-A-Grapple ?????? #4  
I added a Green's Machine Thumb and tooth-bar;works well for me.Doesn't open as much as a full grapple but very useful and less expensive.The Thumb is easily removed by four bolts.Most expensive part was the third function.
Adding a grill guard is also advised.

Attachments

• with grapple.jpg
    with grapple.jpg
    522.2 KB · Views: 317
   / ADD-A-Grapple ?????? #5  
Give you some ideas on cost.

Heavy duty Land Pride SGC 1560 grapple( 60" wide ) --- $3175

WR Long third function valving system ------------------- $1195

These are 2014 prices and include the cost of dealer installation.

/ ADD-A-Grapple ?????? #6  
If this is indeed for the Branson 2400, which is a SCUT, a 60" heavy duty grapple might be a bit too much. :)

Those WR Long kits seems awful expensive. You can get a 12V solenoid valve and a subplate for about 200$. A couple hoses and fittings, you could do it for 400$ maybe.

I spent about 180€ (200$) for the entire hoses, fittings and QDs for my homemade loader.

/ ADD-A-Grapple ?????? #7  
I also have the "Thumb" by Greens Machine. Shop Online It works well for me. It's an add on grapple, you bolt/weld a mounting bracket to your bucket, the grapple can be removed from the bucket with a couple of pins leaving only the bracket on your bucket. Cost is around $400-$450 depending on size.

Since you have a smaller machine, pay attention to the weight of whatever attachment you buy, as an attachment that is too heavy will quickly eat into your lifting capacity.

/ ADD-A-Grapple ?????? #8  
Give you some ideas on cost.

Heavy duty Land Pride SGC 1560 grapple( 60" wide ) --- $3175

WR Long third function valving system ------------------- $1195

These are 2014 prices and include the cost of dealer installation.

This is the exception. The other end of the grapple spectrum would be an MTL or similar and home brew diverter or reroute rear remote.

I have less than $1500 in my home brew diverter and MTL grapple. The grapple I bought is too heavy for a lightweight tractor but I don't think you could tear it up with 80 hp.

I think the thumb to add on a bucket can be had for less but it's usefulness will depend on your need. If you don't have a quick connect bucket I see a bucket thumb as the easiest solution.

/ ADD-A-Grapple ?????? #9  
on my 2400H I built my own thumb style grapple for approx $350 in parts. Tines are ripper teeth from by box blade. Cylinder is 1 1/2 bore by 6 inch stroke I had the diverter (not shown)so this is not included in that price.

Attachments

• grapple.jpg
    grapple.jpg
    912.2 KB · Views: 300
   / ADD-A-Grapple ?????? #10  
No doubt about it. There are ways to go that are DEFINITELY less costly. And, for that matter, an 820# grapple like mine, might set the Branson right on its nose.

My point being - there are unlimited choices. Don't hang your hat on any one brand or model.

I looked at grapples for over a year before making my decision. There WAS a grapple manufacturer just a bit north of me - ANBO. They would make anything you wanted as long as it was engineeringly wise and structurally sound. This company is now closed.

I choose Land Pride because it was sold, serviced and backed by Kubota. I've found that Class 2 implements or equal will last me longer, work better and function perfectly on my Kubota M6040.

Yes, Class 2 implements will cost more. But sometimes you will actually get what you pay for.