Budget grass for larger yard?

/ Budget grass for larger yard? #11  
It may not be what you are looking for but check out Hard Fescue. I got mine from one of the mail order, on line places. It's a slow growing grass that is very hardy and thrives in poor soil. No fertilizer needed. It's more of a meadow grass but looks pretty good. Although it's a clumping grass, if you sow it evenly it doesn't have a clump appearance. I have it around my pond. I mow it once a month or so to knock down any weeds that come up. I have other poor grass areas that I'm going to reseed to hard fescue.

/ Budget grass for larger yard? #12  
It may not be what you are looking for but check out Hard Fescue. I got mine from one of the mail order, on line places. It's a slow growing grass that is very hardy and thrives in poor soil. No fertilizer needed. It's more of a meadow grass but looks pretty good. Although it's a clumping grass, if you sow it evenly it doesn't have a clump appearance. I have it around my pond. I mow it once a month or so to knock down any weeds that come up. I have other poor grass areas that I'm going to reseed to hard fescue.

There are a lot of different types of fescue. I think what you are referring to is what I prefer in waterways. Very strong root system. Wide blade grass.

/ Budget grass for larger yard? #13  
Here is a description of hard fescue. It's a fine leaf grass:

Hard fescue

It doesn't like high heat or drought, but otherwise it's the perfect low maintenance grass cover.

/ Budget grass for larger yard? #14  
Good stuff Kenny. Never heard of it. Sounds like a good choice for a heavily treed area??

/ Budget grass for larger yard? #15  
Hi,
My wife and I bought 8 acres to build on, and the loggers are finishing up this week. I had about 2 acres cleared clean for a yard, and an acre for a food plot. I plan to plant perennial seed in the food plot, but what type of grass should I plant in the yard area? I've always heard St augustine or centipede grass for my area (south east arkansas, just west of the delta), but holy crap are those expensive to do for large areas. A 1 lb bag of centipede grass covers 1,000 Sq ft and costs $30. I'm looking at around 150,000 Sq ft, so I'd need about 150 pounds. That's $4,500 for grass, and I don't even like to mow. St augustine only seems to come as plugs or sod, and that's crazy expensive to do 2 acres. Bermuda is a little better, at 2 lb per 1,000 square feet, I'd need 300 lbs, but $60 gets 15 lbs, so $1,200 or so.

I'm looking for something to prevent erosion mostly. Slow growing and weed choking would be nice, but not needed.

Thanks for any input!

You really have only one choice. Bermudagrass. You are in south Arkansas, so any of the cool season grasses will not survive your summer. Don't waste money on any fescue, Kentucky blue grass, ryegrass, etc.

There are several kinds of bermuda available. If you will be mowing this as a lawn, DO NOT use plain old common bermuda. It would be the cheapest, but is better suited for pasture or hay, and not for a lawn, and you would have to mow it more often.

Be sure to get a 'turf type' bermuda seed. There are several good varieties available, and some come as a blend of 3 or 4 varieties. The cost will be around $12-$18 per pound, but it will still be your cheapest and best option. These varieties are bred for lawns and athletic fields and will not have as much upward growth.

Try to get the seed down between your last frost, and about mid June so that it has time to establish before next winter. Small seedlings will not survive a hard freeze.

St. Augustine is only available as sod or sprigs and will cost a lot more to establish.

Centipede seed will cost less, but will take a lot longer to establish. And Centipede will not tolerate as much traffic and/or drought.

I have been building and establishing athletic fields for many years and I only use bermuda

/ Budget grass for larger yard? #16  
You really have only one choice. Bermudagrass. You are in south Arkansas, so any of the cool season grasses will not survive your summer. Don't waste money on any fescue, Kentucky blue grass, ryegrass, etc.

There are several kinds of bermuda available. If you will be mowing this as a lawn, DO NOT use plain old common bermuda. It would be the cheapest, but is better suited for pasture or hay, and not for a lawn, and you would have to mow it more often.

Be sure to get a 'turf type' bermuda seed. There are several good varieties available, and some come as a blend of 3 or 4 varieties. The cost will be around $12-$18 per pound, but it will still be your cheapest and best option. These varieties are bred for lawns and athletic fields and will not have as much upward growth.

Try to get the seed down between your last frost, and about mid June so that it has time to establish before next winter. Small seedlings will not survive a hard freeze.

St. Augustine is only available as sod or sprigs and will cost a lot more to establish.

Centipede seed will cost less, but will take a lot longer to establish. And Centipede will not tolerate as much traffic and/or drought.

I have been building and establishing athletic fields for many years and I only use bermuda

Good stuff!!!

What is the preferred application method?

How about seed rate?

/ Budget grass for larger yard? #17  
Some of the hardiest "Lawns" are the ones that the owner just mowed what came up. If there was grass there before it will grow back. Weeds don't like being mowed. Grass seem to thrive.

Once you tentatively decide on a grass variety or a grass mixture, collect soil for soil tests in three or four places.

Unless the soil pH is near optimum and other nutrients, especially nitrogen, is sufficient you can spend big bucks on seed and your labor and have very low seed germination. It happened to me, planting Argentine Bahia without a soil test and with minimal rain after planting.

PH was a little high, nitrogen was minimal, then erratic moisture and my germination was "0".

That is the advantage of " If there was grass there before it will grow back. ", it is adapted. Some relatively cheap pasture fertilizer, something like 16-4-8 @ $15/50 pounds may be all you need to tune up the returning, adapted grass.

/ Budget grass for larger yard? #18  
Good stuff!!!

What is the preferred application method?

How about seed rate?

The seed can be spread with any small spreader. The rate is 2 lbs per 1000 sq. ft., which works out to about 100 lbs per acre.

Once you tentatively decide on a grass variety or a grass mixture, collect soil for soil tests in three or four places.

Unless the soil pH is near optimum and other nutrients, especially nitrogen, is sufficient you can spend big bucks on seed and your labor and have very low seed germination. It happened to me, planting Argentine Bahia without a soil test and with minimal rain after planting.

This is also very good advice. Proper pH and fertilizer will help bermuda get established faster. And rainfall, or irrigation will also help any grass establish much faster.

/ Budget grass for larger yard? #19  
The seed can be spread with any small spreader. The rate is 2 lbs per 1000 sq. ft., which works out to about 100 lbs per acre.

"Gulp", hard swallow, $1,500 per acre? Or did I miss something?

I spent $650 on one acre and struggled with that.

My Nephew runs a Sod Farm. He said "Do you want a pasture or a lawn?" If you want a lawn put down the proper amount of seed based on variety and don't pay any attention to cost."

/ Budget grass for larger yard? #20  
"Gulp", hard swallow, $1,500 per acre? Or did I miss something?

I spent $650 on one acre and struggled with that.

My Nephew runs a Sod Farm. He said "Do you want a pasture or a lawn?" If you want a lawn put down the proper amount of seed based on variety and don't pay any attention to cost."

Your nephew is correct.