Battery disconnect switch

/ Battery disconnect switch #21  
I just love people chiming in on electrical matters. Should start with Moma always said . . .

It's on my list of things to do, add disconnects. Especially on my Steiner, where the battery cables go through the articulation point along with the fuel lines.

Good to know that the OEMS are putting it on the GND. Usually that's just easier and safer for exposed terminals.

Note, cheap chinese disconnects (like from Princess Auto/HF) can give you grief.

/ Battery disconnect switch #22  
On all are komatsu equiptment its on the ground side, also it is a keyed switch

/ Battery disconnect switch #23  
Keep in mind people this whole thing started when OP objected to fact in some applications it is necessary to disconnect positive side of battery and alternator/generator output to shut down a running engine....

Not merely to disconnect battery from electrical system to prevent theft or battery drain or to remove short circuit hazard when wrenching around battery... To remove short circuit hazard ALWAYS remove negative (ground) cable first also avoiding crossing negative and positive terminals with wrench when disconnecting.....

Dale

/ Battery disconnect switch #24  
Keyed? Or a Generic key or just a plastic paddle thing?

/ Battery disconnect switch #25  
It ads only 2 connections on the switch.
Dont forget the make/break connection of the switch itself. So three sources of greater resistance than the cable. Or five if you count the crimp terminals. ... It will be very lossy in comparison, but we would be comparing near zero to only several times near zero if all connections were optimal. Then of course we have to ensure connections and switch performance are stably optimal. A little resistance/heat will cascade a failure mode aggravated by every cycle of high current.

/ Battery disconnect switch #26  
Definitely. Use a junky switch and you will have created trouble for yourself. It also depends what you are switching. A liittle Jap diesel or a D9?

/ Battery disconnect switch #27  
Current flow is same in hot lead and ground.... Amperage flow (current) is a loop originating and terminating at battery... This is why ground and positive battery main leads are same gauge wire...

Your comment is not valid...

Dale

I think Lou is right about the instructions.
You are right about amperage flow loops.
Voltage is also a rating. 12VDC isn’t much to overcome with insulation, but it’s something. My ATV’s disconnect is just two bare metal bars with insulation between them and a common removable screw that threads and connects both as the “disconnect”.
This is not rated for the positive post, battery is under seat, you’d fry your...on every bump.

Last edited:
   / Battery disconnect switch #28  
Current flow is same in hot lead and ground.... Amperage flow (current) is a loop originating and terminating at battery... This is why ground and positive battery main leads are same gauge wire...

Your comment is not valid...

Dale

I believe that you are somewhat in error,
while current flow may remain the same the wattage does not nor does the voltage,
The wattage is what is doing the work.
Additionally many times the negative battery leads are not the same size as the positive,
on a negative ground system.

/ Battery disconnect switch #29  
I believe that you are somewhat in error,
while current flow may remain the same the wattage does not nor does the voltage,
The wattage is what is doing the work.
Additionally many times the negative battery leads are not the same size as the positive,
on a negative ground system.

38 years in DC power system's some systems at 24 VDC and some at 48VDC, some just a few amps current some capable of 10,000 amps (or more) .... Conductors were always same gauge wire from maybe 20 gauge solid to multiple runs of 750,000 CM cable for positive and matching number of cable runs for negative, prefer to use theory current flow is same in all conductors, it make system easier to design, maintain and keep functional... And does not add confusion to discussion...

Each cell puts our about 2.17 volts and there is 24 cells in string and can produce thousands amps till chemical reaction is depleted in short circuit conditions.

IMG_1452-300x225.jpg

On this racking there is two strings of batteries producing 50 volts per strings.... Probable good for 500 AH rating per string depending on battery specifications...

Dale

Last edited:
   / Battery disconnect switch #30  
About the same number of years in Industrial Controls, Electronic, Pneumatic, Steam, Hydraulic and Electrical in power plants, petro chemical, water, paper, pharmaceutical.
From low voltage DC to 13,500 AC.
From #28 to 500MCM as well as 1/8" to 1" tubing.
I prefer what works reliably at the lower cost.