Buying Advice Skid steer vs loader tractor vs telehandler

/ Skid steer vs loader tractor vs telehandler #31  
contest? A tractor loader can move 2 bales, one front, one (or more, size dependent) on rear. Of course, you could use just a trailer.

If you feel so inclined to move bales 2 at a time build a double fork for the CTL. The rear of the tractor can’t put bales in a bale ring, load/unload wagons or stack them in a barn so you’re pretty limited with that option.

/ Skid steer vs loader tractor vs telehandler #32  
If you feel so inclined to move bales 2 at a time build a double fork for the CTL. The rear of the tractor can稚 put bales in a bale ring, load/unload wagons or stack them in a barn so you?*e pretty limited with that option.

TWO BALES easy peasy... 3 hay.jpg

/ Skid steer vs loader tractor vs telehandler #33  
The small Merlo with pto and three point has me salivating. Hi flo hydraulics on the boom would be great for a front blower. The possibilities and versatility seem endless.

/ Skid steer vs loader tractor vs telehandler #34  
The small Merlo with pto and three point has me salivating. Hi flo hydraulics on the boom would be great for a front blower. The possibilities and versatility seem endless.
A used one popped up today in our area. Tried to gather a few specs. It's a bit difficult to get them. The 30.6 weighs around 14000 lbs, lifts about 6600, reaches out horizontal around 10ft with about 3000lbs. Reaches around 18 ft high at 3000lbs.
3 pt lift is around 8000 lbs.
Can't remember the hydraulic flow. But it seems like they are not designed to operate machinery with continuous flow at the boom. The long lines are killing flow rates on top.

/ Skid steer vs loader tractor vs telehandler #35  
Guess that's why I've only seen them doing snow control with a blade or pusher. Did see a pic of one with a conventional rear blower. Has the lift capacity for a healthy self powered blower. Visions dancing in my head.

/ Skid steer vs loader tractor vs telehandler #36  
Yes, I would still be surprised. In my travels throughout the US, the telehandler is rarely seen here in non-construction use., relatively speaking. In Europe, they seem to be more mainstream. Here it痴 more of a niche application, again, solely from my observations, with, obviously, some strong devotees!

You would not have surprised if you had seen the pictures in this thread: Compact telehandler

And this one: https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/277824-tree-puller-post3284102.html#post3284102

/ Skid steer vs loader tractor vs telehandler #37  
How large is the farm? How many livestock and what types?

The issue still is do you get the best machine for the main task you have, or do you compromise with one that can do a bunch of things but not as well. The tractor will be the most versatile. The CTL will be the best at moving things with the loader (bales, silage, etc). It is also a rough ride. The treads offer no cushion for bumps, rocks, etc. You feel them all on hard ground. The Telehandler is also great at moving but it isnt as maneuverable as a CTL in tight places and often more expensive.

Just based on what you have said I would consider Tractor, Telehandler, CTL in that order.

/ Skid steer vs loader tractor vs telehandler #38  
The Merlo is just a pipe dream for me. 160 acres, of that 100 is rented out. So just the home site, quite a bit of bush and slough, no livestock or hay. Lots of open space to romp around with a fun toy.

/ Skid steer vs loader tractor vs telehandler #39  
60 acres would be more than enough room for a Merlo to life a happy live.

/ Skid steer vs loader tractor vs telehandler #40  
Compact telehandler would be an all purpose dedicated loader for farm use.

I've run skidsteer loaders, great in small barns and tight places, useless in the mud, I would not have one as an "only loader" on a farm.

4x4 farm tractor with front end loader most versatile. Utility open station for ease of getting on and off.

The OP has a 444 IH, a 50 HP hydro 4x4 with loader would do the same work and still be usable in the field. I'd settle for any 4x4 shuttle tractor compared to a crash box 8F 2R 2wd 444.