2018 Emax 20s HST loader and backhoe vs max26 xl loader and backoe

/ 2018 Emax 20s HST loader and backhoe vs max26 xl loader and backoe #1  

Dave126

Tractor
none
I am looking to purchase a tractor. My use would be around the yard for landscaping, a little snow in winter, maintaining the gravel driveway and some trenching. However I would like to clear a piece of land and install a new driveway. It is currently wooded with softwood and the soil is clay. It has some large trees and lots of dead fallen trees that would need to be hauled from the area. I will have to bring in 15 to 20 trucks of rock, gravel, topsoil and sand to complete project.

I rented a John Deere 1025r last year for a couple of weeks but only put a minor dent in what I would like to do. I did find the 1025r very capable for most of what I done so far, I dug a 140ft trench 2-3ft deep. Cleared a small piece of land with dense brush and small trees mostly under 4 in, approximately 800sq ft. I did find the roots a bit of a challenge. I do understand that a big machine should be used for the wooded area but time is on my side for this project and don't mind some hard work.

The Mahindra dealers is my area are RV dealers or motorcycle dealers and one is selling off their tractors and no longer going to be a dealer. The other dealer is a couple of hours away. I believe the service will be almost non existent.

Emax 20s is $20500.00

Max 26 is $26,500.00

BX23s and 1025r in my area are both around $26,000.00 and both have lots of dealers.

So here are the questions.

Should I just stay away because of dealer situation.

Will the Emax 20s do the job for most things, lift a full bucket of sand, gravel and carry it 200 ft. Dig trenches like the 1025r and remove some roots.

Is the MAX 26 going to be a huge difference when using backhoe for clearing land a root removal.

Is the John Deere more like the Emax 20s or Max 26 or something in between.

I do worry about the lower HP on the Emax 20s but I am not sure if it will make much of a difference.

Is the engine on the Max 26 a better engine than all the others.

I like the price of the Emax 20s and if this would do what the 1025r can do, I would sway that way.

If I have to pay $5000.00 more, the decision get harder.

Appreciate any input.

/ 2018 Emax 20s HST loader and backhoe vs max26 xl loader and backoe #2  
I see a lot of eMax models come in on trade at the local Deere and Kubota dealers, and I have to say they seem to be stripped down cost-cutter tractors. I suspect they are meant to attract buyers at a low price point, and nothing more. The Max 26 and 28 are much nicer tractors and a lot more capable. My neighbor has had a Max 28 for about 6 years and it's been pretty good, with only one minor electrical problem that plagues a lot of the Max models (moisture collects in connectors on the wiring harness and can cause a range of issues).

The BX is the gold standard for a sub-compact, and the Deere is also quite good. Massey makes a good sub-compact too.

For your uses, I would suggest going bigger. Save yourself the trouble of realizing that in a few years and having to sell/trade at a loss. There are reasons for a sub-compact, but not for anything you mentioned.

/ 2018 Emax 20s HST loader and backhoe vs max26 xl loader and backoe #3  
Basically, get the largest model that you can comfortably afford. You most likely will not regret it. Otherwise, look up both models on the Mahindra USA website and compare the specs. FEL Lift capacity of the 26xl is more than double the emax20. Things like that will make A LOT of difference. Check the 3 point capacity, backhoe digging forces, PTO horsepower, how its built, etc. Watch some YouTube vids on both. I wouldn't want anything less than my Max26xl for similar needs as you're looking for. The only reason I didn't go to bigger was because the next biggest size,1526, wouldn't as easily change out backhoe to mower, etc. I'm very happy with mine, but glad I didn't settle for the Max24 or smaller.

Last edited:
   / 2018 Emax 20s HST loader and backhoe vs max26 xl loader and backoe #4  
All of those prices are high for my area, not sure where you are.

No dealer support would be a show stopper for me unless one was within a reasonable drive.

You can get a MF GC1723E TLB near me for $16,500.

Also, the work tasks you describe are screaming for a larger tractor, not a SCUT.

/ 2018 Emax 20s HST loader and backhoe vs max26 xl loader and backoe
First of all, thanks for all the help. I have only ever used one tractor before and it was the 1025r.

So many fourms and videos about don't go to big or don't go to small. This brand is just as good! or you we reget it!

Everyone is definitely recommending a bigger tractor. I understand that I may be pushing the limit with a small tractor but I am thinking about after all the work is done and its just for maintenance. The larger tractor may not be as good for going over the lawn or adding a mower later. The property is not real large.

I guess the clearing of the wooded area would be the greatest challenge of a small tractor. Maybe a rental for this is the best bet.

The 1025r that I rented last year was capable for most of work that I done last year and would be very capable for the maintaining afterwards. One of may concerns is would the Emax 20s keep up or come close to the 1025R? It is $5000.00 cheaper!

Would the Max 26xl be much of a upgrade over a 1025R if any? According to what I read, it seems to be better and they are both the same price. Its just the no dealer in my area makes me a little uncomfortable and the deater is an RV dealer.

Would the Max 26xl be better at removing roots over the 1025r?

I did not get a chance to look at the MF GC1723E TLB. I am assuming that they are close to the spec of the 1025R and pricing is around the same. I will check this out.

I did look at the LS MT122 with backhoe but they wanted $26,000. It ruled that one out.

How the mitsubishi engine in the Max 26xl compare to the engine in the 1025R?

The 1025R cleared the land where the greenhouse is.
yard1.jpg

yard2.jpg

yard3.jpg

The land that I may want to clear is where the largest trees are in the left side of the picture. This will probably take a real excavator but the land is lower in that area and I may be able to cover a lot of them.
yard4.jpg

/ 2018 Emax 20s HST loader and backhoe vs max26 xl loader and backoe #6  
WHAA.... $26,000 for an MT122? That’s ridiculous... you can get the MT125 TLB delivered to you door anywhere for $16,500, include a mid mower for $17,600. They were trying to rip you off... I bought my XG3025 TLB with a heavy box blade and heavy PHD for $21,500 delivered 650 miles! Oh, also had 2 rear remotes installed at that price!

WHAA.... $26,000 for an MT122? That痴 ridiculous... you can get the MT125 TLB delivered to you door anywhere for $16,500, include a mid mower for $17,600. They were trying to rip you off... I bought my XG3025 TLB with a heavy box blade and heavy PHD for $21,500 delivered 650 miles! Oh, also had 2 rear remotes installed at that price!

Sorry, forgot to let people know that I am in Canada. $26,000 Canadian is $17,900 US.

/ 2018 Emax 20s HST loader and backhoe vs max26 xl loader and backoe #8  
Ahhh.... that ‘splains it....

/ 2018 Emax 20s HST loader and backhoe vs max26 xl loader and backoe #9  
First of all, thanks for all the help. I have only ever used one tractor before and it was the 1025r.

So many fourms and videos about don't go to big or don't go to small. This brand is just as good! or you we reget it!

Everyone is definitely recommending a bigger tractor. I understand that I may be pushing the limit with a small tractor but I am thinking about after all the work is done and its just for maintenance. The larger tractor may not be as good for going over the lawn or adding a mower later. The property is not real large.

I guess the clearing of the wooded area would be the greatest challenge of a small tractor. Maybe a rental for this is the best bet.

The 1025r that I rented last year was capable for most of work that I done last year and would be very capable for the maintaining afterwards. One of may concerns is would the Emax 20s keep up or come close to the 1025R? It is $5000.00 cheaper!

Would the Max 26xl be much of a upgrade over a 1025R if any? According to what I read, it seems to be better and they are both the same price. Its just the no dealer in my area makes me a little uncomfortable and the deater is an RV dealer.

Would the Max 26xl be better at removing roots over the 1025r?

I did not get a chance to look at the MF GC1723E TLB. I am assuming that they are close to the spec of the 1025R and pricing is around the same. I will check this out.

I did look at the LS MT122 with backhoe but they wanted $26,000. It ruled that one out.

How the mitsubishi engine in the Max 26xl compare to the engine in the 1025R?

The 1025R cleared the land where the greenhouse is.
View attachment 646623

View attachment 646624

View attachment 646625

The land that I may want to clear is where the largest trees are in the left side of the picture. This will probably take a real excavator but the land is lower in that area and I may be able to cover a lot of them.
View attachment 646626

The Max 26xl in terms of weight, loader lift and other features is definitely and upgrade compared to the 1025R.
The JD is a nicer machine.
Take a look to the Max 26XLT, which is the upgraded newer version of the same machine.
Fender mounted loader controls, new look, better seat with arm rest.
The max is a Japanese Mitsubishi made tractor with Ansung Attachments.
Don't want to throw a wrench at you but...you might be able to get the Mahindra 1626 or a Kioti CK2610 for almost the same price, maybe 1 or 2 $k more, and they are more capable in every sense of the word.

Good luck.

The Max 26xl in terms of weight, loader lift and other features is definitely and upgrade compared to the 1025R.
The JD is a nicer machine.
Take a look to the Max 26XLT, which is the upgraded newer version of the same machine.
Fender mounted loader controls, new look, better seat with arm rest.
The max is a Japanese Mitsubishi made tractor with Ansung Attachments.
Don't want to throw a wrench at you but...you might be able to get the Mahindra 1626 or a Kioti CK2610 for almost the same price, maybe 1 or 2 $k more, and they are more capable in every sense of the word.

Good luck.

Thanks, that is the type of input I am looking for. The newer Max 26XLT is not in stock and they are clearing the units out because they are no longer going to be a Mahindra dealer. The newer Max would be thousands more. However they do have a Mahindra 1626 for $4000.00 less than the Max 26xl but it does not have a backhoe. A backhoe is a must for me and they don't have a backhoe to fit in stock and I really don't want to spend over $7000.00 for the backhoe.

If I knew that the backhoe off the Max 26xl would fit on the 1626. I would probably make them an offer if they swap it over.

Don't anyone know if the backhoe is interchangeable?

All the units are left over 2018