Eggs are better then cash

/ Eggs are better then cash
We started hearing from people we know at the hospitals and the University that the County Judge was going to issue a Shelter In Place order for everyone in our County. We are pretty well stocked up, but I decided to cancel work and get a couple bales of hay and extra feed for our animals. I also stocked up on frozen veggies, flour, sugar, cooking oil and mosquito spray. Most things where limited to just one per customer. As I was leaving, the crowds started showing up and the parking lot went from a quarter full, to packed. Word got out and the panic has begun.

Nobody really knows what Shelter In Place means, or how that will affect us. I have a job that I can do at home for a client that's worth $700 when it's done, so that will help. My wife is working from home and still getting paid, so that's another plus. If it last two weeks, we should be fine. If it goes longer, it might get interesting.

I've also stocked up on gas for the lawn mower and diesel so I can bush hog. I'm hoping that I'll get ahead on my mowing and be productive while this lasts.

Gas is $1.54 and Diesel is $2.14 right now.

91095067_10222172563365747_6145477848384667648_o.jpg

/ Eggs are better then cash #72  
One slight advantage for Bay Area folks is having gone through several shelter in place due to horrific smoke conditions and then the days where the electricity was shut off...

I can see how it would take it to the next level... especially with fewer places to go for supplies in small community...

Gas today in San Leandro $2.55 gallon...

I was sent home yesterday at 10 am which is fine... but the phone just keeps ringing from suppliers and service people asking how to get in...

Don't think it was thought out having no one there... the Administrator went in this morning 6 am to 10 am... but, having no one there is making a mess of logistics...

Back when I was salaried it would just be the norm... being sent home as hourly to reduce overhead and spending hours working from home was not expected... but I help where I can...

Freight company is trying to deliver a 100k order of needed medical equipment... no one there to receive ;-(

/ Eggs are better then cash #73  
I remember at my last employer when they did cuts to non-essential personnel. Semi's started to show up with deliveries. They'd terminated the dock guys. :confused3:

At one of my first jobs at an airport, the owner told the manager to make cuts, so he told me at 8:00am on a Saturday to finish the day out, and then I was terminated. So I left at 8:01. 9:00 the owner calls to ask me why the charter planes weren't fueled up and out of the hangars and where was I? I told him "Frank" let me go. He asked me to come back. I told him I already had another job (I did. I grabbed the newspaper and saw an ad for a water safety instructor at the Y, applied and got it). He thought I was joking, until he didn't. Frank got a spanking and I got a raise! :laughing:

/ Eggs are better then cash #74  
I remember at my last employer when they did cuts to non-essential personnel. Semi's started to show up with deliveries. They'd terminated the dock guys. :confused3:

At one of my first jobs at an airport, the owner told the manager to make cuts, so he told me at 8:00am on a Saturday to finish the day out, and then I was terminated. So I left at 8:01. 9:00 the owner calls to ask me why the charter planes weren't fueled up and out of the hangars and where was I? I told him "Frank" let me go. He asked me to come back. I told him I already had another job (I did. I grabbed the newspaper and saw an ad for a water safety instructor at the Y, applied and got it). He thought I was joking, until he didn't. Frank got a spanking and I got a raise! :laughing:

:thumbsup::thumbsup::D

I love a good ending..

/ Eggs are better then cash #75  
It warms my heart...

Once in my career I was told not to come back.

I was under the gun to return a rental truck for the company and delayed responding to a page because I would not have been able to return the truck and my car would have sat in the rental yard over the weekend leaving the company on the hook for the truck on my credit card.

When I returned I had a message the boss wanted me in her office immediately...

I went in and she asked if I had received a page... I said yes and then went on to say so I deliberately ignored it... I said no... only prioritized it... almost no one had a cell in 1996.

She said nothing is more important... unless I was in a coma lying in a hospital bed... I innocently said I disagree and she said OK and that I no longer work here... I handed over the pager and cleared out my locker...

First thing Monday I called my travel agent to book 6 weeks in Europe...

About 20 minutes later morning I get a call from the boss asking if I am feeling OK???

I said yes and she asked why I didn't come to work... I said you terminated me...

She said things are sometimes said in the heat of the moment and not to take everything so seriously???

She asked if I would be coming in today and I said I can... she said great... see me when you get here.

Lucky it was within my reservation cancellation period... or was it???

As for eggs... I didn't break any or need or even want to throw any ;-0

Last edited:
   / Eggs are better then cash

How big was the raise?

/ Eggs are better then cash #77  
How long will eggs last in the refrigerator? The amount of eggs that I buy don't last long enough to find out.
When we were over loaded with eggs, for long term storage we broke them into ice cube trays, froze them, then popped the eggs out, storing them in plastic bags in the freezer.

Just take them out as needed, put in the fry pan and with a low fire and they will melt in the pan and cook up just fine. For baking or scrambled, just thaw them and use them...

Frozen, they will easily keep for months...

SR

/ Eggs are better then cash #78  
We have kept some 3 months unwashed and they were still good. We do not wash any , even the ones we sell. I explained why and no seems to mind

/ Eggs are better then cash #79  
When we were over loaded with eggs, for long term storage we broke them into ice cube trays, froze them, then popped the eggs out, storing them in plastic bags in the freezer.

Just take them out as needed, put in the fry pan and with a low fire and they will melt in the pan and cook up just fine. For baking or scrambled, just thaw them and use them...

Frozen, they will easily keep for months...

SR

That's a very good idea. Never heard of anyone doing that.

/ Eggs are better then cash #80  
How big was the raise?

I believe it was either 50 cents or a buck at most. Big money back then. Especially for a weekend job. :)

Thinking about it, I had some pretty decent responsibilities for an 18 year old kid. Show up early, review the flight schedule, pull the planes out of the hangars, add requested amount of fuel, stock with catering (donuts and drinks), and stage them in order of departure time. These were all small planes. Cessna 310's, 421's, Piper Navajo, Rockwell Turbo Commander, Beech King Air and 18. Plus a bunch of 2 and 4 seat trainers. Get the planes on their way. Tend to the trainers as they came and went throughout the day. Take care of any T-hangar and tie-down customers. Refuel customers. Stuff like that. We had a tug, but I only used it on the Turbo Commander and Beech 18. I could move the rest by hand.

Unstacking the hangar in the mornings and re-stacking it at the end of the day was the most nerve wracking. Trying to fit as many planes in the hangar in the reverse order that they'll be used the following day without bumping them into each other or the walls.

Anyhow, the owner was the father of a good friend of mine in grade and high school and he and I always had a good relationship, so he offered me a job the summer after high school. First day on the job was an air show! Got to refuel numerous war birds first day on the job. Great memories. :thumbsup: