Has haggling died?

/ Has haggling died? #51  
I grew up around the car business and it was very rare a person came in paid sticker.

Sometimes you can't make the deal and timing can be a huge factor...

Never offer more than you can live with to avoid buyers remorse.

Sometimes it comes down to making an offer and leave it at that.

Dad was always good at the art of a deal... buy the kids suits for a wedding and get socks thrown in...

Never know until you ask?

/ Has haggling died? #52  
I don't buy or sell very often, and I hate dealing with people, so no haggling for me. A couple of examples: I had a truck to sell. KBB valued it at about $1.5k. It had 200k miles, had some issues. I put it on CL for $1.5k OBO, expecting to get offers in the $1k - $1.2k range. I received an e-mail that offered me $500, and the guy assured me that was a "reasonable offer." Ugh. Whatever. I pulled the listing and put it up on ebay instead. Yeah, that meant I had to pay ebay's fee and paypal's fee, but at least that would let the market set the price. It sold for $2.2k, over four times his "reasonable offer."

I also had an older and kind of unique gun to sell. It had interchangeable barrels, with options for up to four different calibers. I found a complete set that sold for $600. Mine was incomplete (only had 3 of the 4 possible barrels) and had some other issues. I took it to a gun show. When people asked about it I started at $400, fully expecting to be talked down to about $300 or even $250. I had no counter offers. One guy even laughed at me as he walked away. I put it up on an auction site knowing that I'd have to pay a FFL about $25-$50 to ship it, plus the auction fee, but at least it would sell. When the auction ended, it sold for about $750, well over what I expected.

So in these cases I had to deal with extra entities (auction companies, FFLs, paypal, etc.) and pay their fees, but the benefit of a much wider buyer audience more than made up for those expenses.

/ Has haggling died? #53  
I don't buy or sell very often, and I hate dealing with people, so no haggling for me. A couple of examples: I had a truck to sell. KBB valued it at about $1.5k. It had 200k miles, had some issues. I put it on CL for $1.5k OBO, expecting to get offers in the $1k - $1.2k range. I received an e-mail that offered me $500, and the guy assured me that was a "reasonable offer." Ugh. Whatever. I pulled the listing and put it up on ebay instead. Yeah, that meant I had to pay ebay's fee and paypal's fee, but at least that would let the market set the price. It sold for $2.2k, over four times his "reasonable offer."

I also had an older and kind of unique gun to sell. It had interchangeable barrels, with options for up to four different calibers. I found a complete set that sold for $600. Mine was incomplete (only had 3 of the 4 possible barrels) and had some other issues. I took it to a gun show. When people asked about it I started at $400, fully expecting to be talked down to about $300 or even $250. I had no counter offers. One guy even laughed at me as he walked away. I put it up on an auction site knowing that I'd have to pay a FFL about $25-$50 to ship it, plus the auction fee, but at least it would sell. When the auction ended, it sold for about $750, well over what I expected.

So in these cases I had to deal with extra entities (auction companies, FFLs, paypal, etc.) and pay their fees, but the benefit of a much wider buyer audience more than made up for those expenses.

Yup....always the same.
The international exposure on E-Bay is always better....but, some items are too heavy/bulky to ship economically.
I sold a used diesel vehicle for twice the price offered locally, to a buyer in the Bahamas, and had a competing bidder in Germany.

/ Has haggling died? #54  
Yup....always the same.
The international exposure on E-Bay is always better....but, some items are too heavy/bulky to ship economically.
I sold a used diesel vehicle for twice the price offered locally, to a buyer in the Bahamas, and had a competing bidder in Germany.
What was it? A old Volvo Diesel? :D
I might be giving ebay a try on a truck I need to sell. Local calls are all lowball BS in first few weeks....

/ Has haggling died? #55  
Yup, I have had good luck on eBay; buying 2 motorcycles and 3 trucks. No haggling, just bidding.

Now, in Canada, it's kijiji. So far, just a boat (I haggled $100 on a weak battery) but I have plenty of saved searches.

I agree with Gale: new purchases seem to be "order-taking" but buying or selling used items has many more variables--age, condition, etc.

Buying new, I try to shop the promotions eg. factory incentives, rebates, Spring Power Package on the tractor implements.

My new Mahindra 2638 TLB was not a 'package deal' but the dealer put together a nice discount for me.

In the end, I did not haggle, although I did catch 2 small math errors on the invoice.

He gladly acknowledged his errors and corrected the numbers.

I don't sell much, I seem to keep what I buy.

:tractor: ding beep

On the other hand, my wife is a haggling queen on the local buy & sell. LOL

Last edited:
   / Has haggling died? #56  
What was it? A old Volvo Diesel? :D
I might be giving ebay a try on a truck I need to sell. Local calls are all lowball BS in first few weeks....

Not a Volvo.....it was a 1986 GMC Jimmy 6,2L diesel.
29 years old,165K miles, in excellent condition.

/ Has haggling died? #57  
Not a Volvo.....it was a 1986 GMC Jimmy 6,2L diesel.
29 years old,165K miles, in excellent condition.

Whoa!!! A very cool retro ride! I like those things! :thumbsup:

/ Has haggling died?
to continue the loss of haggling. I just bought a "new" land plane. looks like it was sitting for 2+ years, Can you move on the price at all "No" and that was it. with a 14 week lead time from most manufacture's I was thrilled to even get it, but again. 0 Haggle. EA literally told me they are "relentlessly" selling every attachment they had. Take with this what you will.

/ Has haggling died? #59  
to continue the loss of haggling. I just bought a "new" land plane. looks like it was sitting for 2+ years, Can you move on the price at all "No" and that was it. with a 14 week lead time from most manufacture's I was thrilled to even get it, but again. 0 Haggle. EA literally told me they are "relentlessly" selling every attachment they had. Take with this what you will.
It's the age-old supply-and-demand situation.

Building supplies are up 50-200% in the last year. Finally trickling down to finish-grade hardwoods - Hard Maple and Poplar went up 50-100% in 2 weeks.

Thankfully, I had confirmed POs in November for 5 T/Ls of HM at 2150. More thankfully, the mill is honoring those even though current pricing is at 3500 or even more.

/ Has haggling died? #60  
Saw an interesting piece on Youtube. Never tell them you are going to pay CASH or they will not give you a discount as they (especially vehicle dealers) make their money on financing and other Gimmicks, so if they know they won't be making that money, they won't reduce the price.
I say it depends on the circumstances. Cash discounts or x.x% financing is generally known in advance. Do the math. At 0% or 0.9% an auto or tractor dealer isn’t making money on financing. I ask for their best price, try to haggle a little, then ask the cash price. Shopping the monthly payment is asking to get burned. Price, financing, insurance and any trade-in are separate items, don’t let the salesperson mix them.