Cub Cadet GT2542 doesn't hold charge

/ Cub Cadet GT2542 doesn't hold charge #1  

lmhcubbie

Tractor
Cub Cadet GT2542
My 2006 Cubbie just recently quit starting with the key and I have to jump start it every time. As soon as I turn it off --- it's dead again! Starts fine when jumped just doesn't hold the charge. Any thoughts out there? thx

/ Cub Cadet GT2542 doesn't hold charge #3  
Welcome to the TBN! Yep, have the battery charged and load tested. Take a meter and look for voltage at the battery whilst it is running and report back.

/ Cub Cadet GT2542 doesn't hold charge #4  
The first and simplest solution is as stated above. Remove the battery, charge it, and have it load tested. If in fact the battery is good either your tractor is not charging the battery or you have excessive drain on the system when you are not using the tractor.

/ Cub Cadet GT2542 doesn't hold charge
The battery is new about 3 months old. If the ignition is wobbly would that cause the problem?

/ Cub Cadet GT2542 doesn't hold charge #6  
You can take the throw parts at it approach, but it gets costly. Or grab a basic multi-meter and perform a draw test and a couple of charging system tests. Assuming that a battery is good as it is 3 months old may not be a good place to start. If you want to work through this, we can help guide you through to a point. Posting the engine model and spec would be a great place to start.

/ Cub Cadet GT2542 doesn't hold charge #7  
The battery is new about 3 months old. If the ignition is wobbly would that cause the problem?

New as in dry charged when you bought it or 'new' as sitting on a shelf for a long time? Most flooded cell batteries aren't really new when you buy them. They are used but idle.

/ Cub Cadet GT2542 doesn't hold charge
Hello again
New problem with mower this AM. Usually when I jump it, it starts right up. Today, I jumped it again and it tried to turn over but couldn't. Now it just makes a "wheezing" noise but never started.
I forgot to tell you, the engine is a Kohler 22hp and cub cadet GT2542 tractor 2008 & before 14A-2D2G710 with hydro transmission. Also, I bought the battery off the shelf at Orschel

/ Cub Cadet GT2542 doesn't hold charge #9  
Hello again
New problem with mower this AM. Usually when I jump it, it starts right up. Today, I jumped it again and it tried to turn over but couldn't. Now it just makes a "wheezing" noise but never started.
I forgot to tell you, the engine is a Kohler 22hp and cub cadet GT2542 tractor 2008 & before 14A-2D2G710 with hydro transmission. Also, I bought the battery off the shelf at Orschel

Was the battery dusty on top when you bought it? Sounds like the Bendix is hanging up now. Wack the starter with a mallet a few times and see it it frees up. If not, it's new (or rebuilt) starter time.

Ever change the oil in the hydro? They do have a change interval and most have spin on filters as well. Don't have a clue what Orschell is.

When you purchased the battery did you bother to trickle charge it before installing? Most if not all off the shelf new batteries need to be 'topped off' before installing.