PT-422 Electric Conversion.......Done!

/ PT-422 Electric Conversion.......Done! #1  

Predator Trac

Tractor
Repowered PowerTrac 422, Mahindra 4530, IH 666, Ferris 3100, Kubota RTV-1100
I have not posted in some time, but I thought the group might be interested in this. Electric conversions have been talked about on here a few times. Here is my successful conversion story.

I have now gone through two engines in my 422, the factory engine threw a rod mowing on slope and the Harbor Freight replacement just ran crappy. The HF engine would surge at certain throttle positions and would take out the Lovejoy inserts.....then the couplings would run and chew on themselves.

I had some electric drive components that never got used for another project, so I decided to put them into the 422. I replaced the HF engine with a ME1004 motor which has very comparable specs, 21HP peak, 8.5HP continuous, 3700RPM no load RPM, 3100 full power RPM. I paired this with a 400A brushed motor controller. I CNC machines an adapter to mount the new motor to an off the shelf pump mount which attaches to the original PT pump stack.

I got a smokin deal on some 100AH lead acid marine batteries, so I installed four of them. The grouped battery is 48V 100AH. 4.8kWh theoretical, but about 2.4kWh usable. I am happy with the performance and longevity, but lithium batteries will be going in soon just to extend runtime. The added batteries, motor, and metal parts decently outweigh the old engine and it is all located in the rear of the machine, so my puckerability went down. I even broke my link arm up front when I tried to lift 1100lbs of concrete.

The biggest question I get is, of course, runtime. I use this as a little loader, forklift, and ride giver. I get about an hour of full runtime before it is time to get back to the garage and charge. I have a four channel charger onboard and it will charge from dead to full in about four hours. Everything stock still works, PTO, lights, hydraulic cooling fan. The motor speed is controlled by the stock throttle tied into a 5k potentiometer in back.

I know this would be terribly impractical for mowing or trenching......but is great for anything involving the bucked, fork, grapple, hole auger........It is quiet, my wife even likes to drive it now.

The thread is getting a little rambly, in conclusion, I have been building a swimming pool and using this almost daily since April. I have racked up around 100kWh on the power meter and am happy with the conversion.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Tyler

20200515_203455.jpg 20200515_202335.jpg 20200419_104011.jpg 20200226_160613.jpg 20200228_154156.jpg 20200228_154202.jpg 20200313_114021.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
   / PT-422 Electric Conversion.......Done! #3  
Looking good, will new batteries you plan to install be as large as present ones and what do you think the run time will be?

/ PT-422 Electric Conversion.......Done!
The new lithiums will be a slightly different form factor, but they will double runtime at a minimum. If I can wiggle enough in, I will quadruple it.

/ PT-422 Electric Conversion.......Done! #5  
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: that's very impressive, and I am glad that it works so well for you! Thanks for the great photos of the conversion.

All the best,

Peter

/ PT-422 Electric Conversion.......Done! #6  
Wow! That is impressive! What a high quality retro fit well done👍 I will be waiting to hear how the lithium batteries work for ya. Thanks for the pictures and information.

/ PT-422 Electric Conversion.......Done! #7  
Fantastic!!!
I did the same with a gravel two wheel tractor and I love it.
Chevy Volt batteries are my choice. Be carful not to leave the tractor turned on. I learned the hard way.
Absolutely love your work!

/ PT-422 Electric Conversion.......Done! #8  
There are some who say that Power Trac is better than any CUT ever made. We may now be witnessing an E-Power Trac that is better than any Power Trac ever made ;)

/ PT-422 Electric Conversion.......Done! #9  
I just need the address to send my 42x for conversion.
Well done.

/ PT-422 Electric Conversion.......Done! #10  
Now some questions...

I think you mentioned the motor is controlled by the throttle lever. So does that mean the motor is running the whole time, just like when powered by the gas engine?

Did you leave the hydraulic cooler fan on the thermostat? No point in running it unless it's needed.