PT-422 Electric Conversion.......Done!

/ PT-422 Electric Conversion.......Done! #11  
Nice adjustable top link. :D Kinda weird though, the break looks like it has rust in it, like maybe the weld may not have been to spec.

Too bad the lovejoy is wasting so much room, but i can see it was a bolt on so why invent the wheel... I wonder if you could fab a rack to mount the batteries in and go higher up into the hood area?

I have to say, i'm very impressed! Fantastic!

/ PT-422 Electric Conversion.......Done!
Good morning everyone. I apologize for ditching some of the questions. We got hit by a nasty wind storm in central Iowa and I have not spent much time at my desk. Here are a couple more pictures of the batteries, charger, and throttle.

To address the throttle question. The motor has infinite speed control and when it is at the lowest setting, the motor controller will turn off. When using the machine, if I jump off, I throttle to 0% and everything dies. When I am ready to go again, I adjust the throttle and everything comes back to life.

back.jpg

batteries.jpg

charger.jpg

mess.jpg

throttle.jpg

/ PT-422 Electric Conversion.......Done! #13  
So impressed. I hope all is well in your world regarding the windstorm. We have friends in Dubuque and they were reporting that the mid part of the state was flattened and it is going to be an awful on the farmers

/ PT-422 Electric Conversion.......Done! #14  
I have not posted in some time, but I thought the group might be interested in this. Electric conversions have been talked about on here a few times. Here is my successful conversion story.

I have now gone through two engines in my 422, the factory engine threw a rod mowing on slope and the Harbor Freight replacement just ran crappy. The HF engine would surge at certain throttle positions and would take out the Lovejoy inserts.....then the couplings would run and chew on themselves.

I had some electric drive components that never got used for another project, so I decided to put them into the 422. I replaced the HF engine with a ME1004 motor which has very comparable specs, 21HP peak, 8.5HP continuous, 3700RPM no load RPM, 3100 full power RPM. I paired this with a 400A brushed motor controller. I CNC machines an adapter to mount the new motor to an off the shelf pump mount which attaches to the original PT pump stack.

I got a smokin deal on some 100AH lead acid marine batteries, so I installed four of them. The grouped battery is 48V 100AH. 4.8kWh theoretical, but about 2.4kWh usable. I am happy with the performance and longevity, but lithium batteries will be going in soon just to extend runtime. The added batteries, motor, and metal parts decently outweigh the old engine and it is all located in the rear of the machine, so my puckerability went down. I even broke my link arm up front when I tried to lift 1100lbs of concrete.

The biggest question I get is, of course, runtime. I use this as a little loader, forklift, and ride giver. I get about an hour of full runtime before it is time to get back to the garage and charge. I have a four channel charger onboard and it will charge from dead to full in about four hours. Everything stock still works, PTO, lights, hydraulic cooling fan. The motor speed is controlled by the stock throttle tied into a 5k potentiometer in back.

I know this would be terribly impractical for mowing or trenching......but is great for anything involving the bucked, fork, grapple, hole auger........It is quiet, my wife even likes to drive it now.

The thread is getting a little rambly, in conclusion, I have been building a swimming pool and using this almost daily since April. I have racked up around 100kWh on the power meter and am happy with the conversion.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Tyler

View attachment 665491 View attachment 665490 View attachment 665489 View attachment 665485 View attachment 665486 View attachment 665487 View attachment 665488

Thanks for sharing your awesome project details. Your talents are great.

/ PT-422 Electric Conversion.......Done! #15  
Could you invert pump and motor and be able to put 4 batteries in instead of two?

/ PT-422 Electric Conversion.......Done! #17  
Could you invert pump and motor and be able to put 4 batteries in instead of two?
Or one could rotate the motor-pump stack vertically and stack the batteries too. All a matter of how much work one wants to put in!

As crazy as this sounds, Tesla once considered a "power trailer" for the Model Y that would essentially be a tow-behind battery bank. Could do that here too!

/ PT-422 Electric Conversion.......Done! #19  
Or we could mount the generator in the frame....wait, then you get one of these!

/ PT-422 Electric Conversion.......Done! #20  
I have not posted in some time, but I thought the group might be interested in this. Electric conversions have been talked about on here a few times. Here is my successful conversion story.

I have now gone through two engines in my 422, the factory engine threw a rod mowing on slope and the Harbor Freight replacement just ran crappy. The HF engine would surge at certain throttle positions and would take out the Lovejoy inserts.....then the couplings would run and chew on themselves.

I had some electric drive components that never got used for another project, so I decided to put them into the 422. I replaced the HF engine with a ME1004 motor which has very comparable specs, 21HP peak, 8.5HP continuous, 3700RPM no load RPM, 3100 full power RPM. I paired this with a 400A brushed motor controller. I CNC machines an adapter to mount the new motor to an off the shelf pump mount which attaches to the original PT pump stack.

I got a smokin deal on some 100AH lead acid marine batteries, so I installed four of them. The grouped battery is 48V 100AH. 4.8kWh theoretical, but about 2.4kWh usable. I am happy with the performance and longevity, but lithium batteries will be going in soon just to extend runtime. The added batteries, motor, and metal parts decently outweigh the old engine and it is all located in the rear of the machine, so my puckerability went down. I even broke my link arm up front when I tried to lift 1100lbs of concrete.

The biggest question I get is, of course, runtime. I use this as a little loader, forklift, and ride giver. I get about an hour of full runtime before it is time to get back to the garage and charge. I have a four channel charger onboard and it will charge from dead to full in about four hours. Everything stock still works, PTO, lights, hydraulic cooling fan. The motor speed is controlled by the stock throttle tied into a 5k potentiometer in back.

I know this would be terribly impractical for mowing or trenching......but is great for anything involving the bucked, fork, grapple, hole auger........It is quiet, my wife even likes to drive it now.

The thread is getting a little rambly, in conclusion, I have been building a swimming pool and using this almost daily since April. I have racked up around 100kWh on the power meter and am happy with the conversion.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Tyler

View attachment 665491 View attachment 665490 View attachment 665489 View attachment 665485 View attachment 665486 View attachment 665487 View attachment 665488
Any chance that I can get a specific list of components used? IE: model of controller, model of potentiometer, etc. My brother and I plan to convert an 18 HP Power Trac. Any info would be greatly appreciated.