Do you actually plow snow with your UTV? for multiple seasons?

/ Do you actually plow snow with your UTV? for multiple seasons? #1  

milkman636

Veteran Member
Tractor
Bobcat CT335 + John Deere 1023e (former owner of Kubota BX2370-1, John Deere 5210, and Ford 2000)
I've been shopping for a UTV lately. One of the things I want it to be capable of doing is pushing snow. I live in Michigan and take care of snow on a couple properties with a tractor currently, and I'll be adding another with 300' of sidewalk to the routine next winter. I see lots of reviews of new purchases, but very little feedback from experienced owners. In my mind a Kubota RTV with a hand throttle kit and V-plow setup appears to be up to the job. But, I enjoy riding around on quads and stuff and want a little fun factor too. Is there anybody out here with a cool setup that has the capability to run 40+ mph, push 8" of snow (not at the same time of course), and has held up for a few years of doing it? Can a SxS be fun and still really do the job without breaking?

/ Do you actually plow snow with your UTV? for multiple seasons? #2  
Look at the frame and suspension components size as well as the axle and hubs,
then compare them to a 1/2 ton pickup most of which the manufactures will state not to be used for plowing.
Just my take on the issue, some people do use them.

/ Do you actually plow snow with your UTV? for multiple seasons?
It seems like most UTV manufacturers are selling plow packages for UTVs now. If ford or GM offered me a factory plow on my half ton I'd expect it to be designed for the job. That's why I'm hoping for some feedback from actual owners. Fun and useful seems like an attractive combination.

/ Do you actually plow snow with your UTV? for multiple seasons? #4  
I used a plow on a Polaris 800. I live in Michigan.

You will need chains.

You cannot push up large mounds of snow like you can with a plow truck.

I bought a beater plow truck after the first year. Cost was $3500. Likely the least expensive solution. I would get it stuck trying to push up a tall pile about 3 times a year....operator error and a poor designed mount.

I now use both a front mounted blade and pull blower on a good sized tractor. I got tired of 8’ banks of snow.

/ Do you actually plow snow with your UTV? for multiple seasons? #5  
just my take on it. The more you beef up one area lacking, the more stress you impose on the whole machine. Until you end up with some VERY expensive repairs.

A tractor is supposed to be built to do work. MOST UTVs are not. They are delicate by comparison and have tiny drivetrains. Built mostly to move themselves around. My opinion only.

And pushing snow is usually not the problem. It's dealing with freeze/thaw cycles and having frozen banks. Your driveway becomes like a frozen narrow louge sp?.

Last edited:
   / Do you actually plow snow with your UTV? for multiple seasons? #6  
Wheres ArlyA when you you need him ? .............................:snowman:

:D

/ Do you actually plow snow with your UTV? for multiple seasons? #7  
I've been shopping for a UTV lately. One of the things I want it to be capable of doing is pushing snow. I live in Michigan and take care of snow on a couple properties with a tractor currently, and I'll be adding another with 300' of sidewalk to the routine next winter. I see lots of reviews of new purchases, but very little feedback from experienced owners. In my mind a Kubota RTV with a hand throttle kit and V-plow setup appears to be up to the job. But, I enjoy riding around on quads and stuff and want a little fun factor too. Is there anybody out here with a cool setup that has the capability to run 40+ mph, push 8" of snow (not at the same time of course), and has held up for a few years of doing it? Can a SxS be fun and still really do the job without breaking?

I have plowed with an RTV 1100 for about 10 years, does a great job...Not gonna get 40 MPH even with a turbo and a super charger though--LOL

I used a plow on a Polaris 800. I live in Michigan.

You will need chains.

You cannot push up large mounds of snow like you can with a plow truck.

I bought a beater plow truck after the first year. Cost was $3500. Likely the least expensive solution. I would get it stuck trying to push up a tall pile about 3 times a year....operator error and a poor designed mount.

I now use both a front mounted blade and pull blower on a good sized tractor. I got tired of 8’ banks of snow.

Thanks for the feedback shooterdon. I just sold my ATV and in the market for a UTV anyway. Clearing a sidewalk will be completely new territory for me and I'm trying to find a good tool for the job. A plow truck may be a bit big, like my current tractor setup. I'm just reaching out for more real world experience, like yours,before I get dialed in on equipping an UTV to push snow.

I have plowed with an RTV 1100 for about 10 years, does a great job...Not gonna get 40 MPH even with a turbo and a super charger though--LOL

Thanks timswi. I figured the RTVs would be the best UTV for the job. Do you have a hand throttle in your RTV? I've seen it on some and was curious about it. Knowing that HSTs perform better with is higher engine speed, I figured that a hand throttle would be a useful option to get things moving in heavy snow. The dealer I talked with last week seemed puzzled by my questions about it. Speed is the only concern I have about the RTV. I'd like to be able to at least stay within earshot of my kids on the dirt bikes.

/ Do you actually plow snow with your UTV? for multiple seasons? #10  
My son's work purchased a RTV last year($38K) and he says it is a beast for moving snow but certainly not fast.I plow mostly with my tractor but just purchased a 2020 Yamaha Kodiak that I am putting a plow on for this winter.Previously plowed with a 400cc ATV and it did a decent job.I have a Yamaha Viking also;no plow but I am sure at 1200 lbs.it would push a lot of snow.