Time to Rant abvout this.

/ Time to Rant abvout this. #1  

MiserableOldFart

Platinum Member
Tractor
NH Workmaster 40, Kubota GR2120
I'm sure it has been done before, but I just want to rant about the idiocy that one end of the drive line of an implement is standardized while the other is not. Now, I realize that the drive line you use for a post hole digger is not the same length as the one you use for a rotary cutter, but still, One drive shaft should be able to fit a number of implements on a given tractor.. Why not standardize BOTH ends to the same spec? Then, most people would only need one or two shafts for their whole collection of implements? And it wouldn't be that difficult to standardize the distance from the hitch pins to the implement shaft on about 90% of non post hole diggers, either! Then the only adjustment you'd need for a given tractor is to cut the drive line once.

I spend way too much time greasing and fixing drive line shields than I'd like, lol.

/ Time to Rant abvout this. #2  
Rant away! Problem is there is no universal PTO shaft! The closest is the tractor connection and even there you can have options.

/ Time to Rant abvout this. #4  
I dont think it's avout the drive shafts I think it's more avout all these different implements, they are always at a different distant from tractors and I dont think theres anything that can be done avout that........

/ Time to Rant abvout this. #5  
I dont think it's avout the drive shafts I think it's more avout all these different implements, they are always at a different distant from tractors and I dont think theres anything that can be done avout that........

Mate, did you clean your keyboard and switch the 'B' with the 'V'? :laughing:

/ Time to Rant abvout this. #6  

Well duh! But is it not apparent to a blind man that when the implement takes a different connection, you must have a different yoke in the implement end?
Or who would expect a tiller (gear box very close to the tractor) to use the same length PTO shaft as a mower (finish or rotary cutter) since the distance from the tractor to the gear box is much greater?
Try using a shaft that can not compress because it is too long! Dig deep in the old bank, cause you just messed up some expensive stuff!

/ Time to Rant abvout this. #7  
Well duh! But is it not apparent to a blind man that when the implement takes a different connection, you must have a different yoke in the implement end?
Or who would expect a tiller (gear box very close to the tractor) to use the same length PTO shaft as a mower (finish or rotary cutter) since the distance from the tractor to the gear box is much greater?
Try using a shaft that can not compress because it is too long! Dig deep in the old bank, cause you just messed up some expensive stuff!

And then you have the optional 3PH QA 'systems' available (JD iMatch, Pat's, etc...) that add more length to the shaft.

And then each tractor itself is different... as an example a "Cat 1" tractor can be multiple HP's = size and height, what tyres are mounted, length of 3ph arms?

There are just too many variables and configurations to have a 'standard' length(s).

/ Time to Rant abvout this. #8  
Competing manufacturers may have incentive to standardize on each other's designs, or they may have incentive to intentionally not standardize on them. Depends on the company.

For example, the green giant knows that people will buy their equipment (and pay a premium for it) just because it's green. A manufacturer in that position might find it most lucrative to use a different kind of setup from everyone else. When the green gear that you have, only wants to play nice with other green gear that you have, then you're more likely to buy more green gear than to stray from the path.

Conversely, an up & coming player would probably find it more lucrative to make their gear compatible with green gear, to attract customers looking for a less expensive alternative to green. Or to make their gear universal, adaptable to any color.

/ Time to Rant abvout this. #9  
Well lets see on just the tractor end in the US;
1 1/8" 6 spline,
1 3/8" 6 spline,
1 3/8" 21 spline,
1 3/4" 21spline.
Then the implement end;
shear pin,
over running clutch,
slip clutches,
ratcheting slip clutch,
splined 6, 20, 21,
clamped,
through bolt,
flanged,
and I know I missed a few.
Then HP rating at speed (540/1000).
And then the various lengths required for different types of implements,
mounted,
semi-mounted,
towed.
It is a wonder that even the tractor end has become somewhat standardized with just 3 different main types,
of course with the push to switch to electric generator/motor power systems who knows what will happen.

/ Time to Rant abvout this. #10  
Mate, did you clean your keyboard and switch the 'B' with the 'V'? :laughing:

:thumbsup::laughing: Go figure even when its spelt wrong I spelled it wrong, according to the OP it should've been spelt this way> abvout, must be a NY way of spelling.