BBQ Lump coal choices!

/ BBQ Lump coal choices!
I think I am referring to those uniform, cast, egg sized things.

Some place around here, apparently doing a great business of selling various species of wood for BBQ. What's the diference between simply cooking over wood and cooking over charcoal? Doesn't the meat dripping and burning on the heat source contribute most of the flavour? AND, whatever you put on the meat? Seems to me, what you cook it over is quite down on the list of what matters for flavour. Obviously, smoking meat would be a different story.
Yes, those precast things are briquettes and they are contaminated with fillers/binders.

On cooking over lump charcoal (charred natural wood)... absolutely this smoke is what gives the food a wonderful flavor. That smoke can impart flavor to quickly cooked steaks, seafood, or to slow cooked ribs, brisket, etc. The fat drippings are no benefit IMO as they just cause flare ups and as such it is difficult to control the char on the meat.

Because flare ups are a problem, people will use offset cookers, indirect heat, or grill grates that prevent them.

/ BBQ Lump coal choices! #32  
My little Coleman grill is really good having few flareups. What you say, almost suggests that one would have no flavour benefit from cooking over a propane grill. Many people would disagree.

PERSONALLY, like so many other "trends" and "fads" I think this cooking over flavoured wood is much, just that.

/ BBQ Lump coal choices!
My little Coleman grill is really good having few flareups. What you say, almost suggests that one would have no flavour benefit from cooking over a propane grill. Many people would disagree.

PERSONALLY, like so many other "trends" and "fads" I think this cooking over flavoured wood is much, just that.
I will heartily disagree. And I am not talking about flavored woods. I am talking about charred wood (lump charcoal). There is a HUGE difference between propane and lump charcoal. I challenge you to prove it to yourself.

Find me a competition BBQer that uses propane instead of lump charcoal or wood.

Here is a short video of how lump charcoal is made:

How Royal Oak Lump Charcoal Is Made - YouTube

/ BBQ Lump coal choices! #34  
Find me a NASCAR crew that uses Harbour Freight Tools. I hope you understand what I am trying to say. I guess, you have to use a hundred dollar brush, fifty dollar tongues and wear a thirty dollar chefs hat. All adds to the flavour! Much is in the mind. lol

I BBQed over fire for years. I wish I had not gotten rid of my Ball-B-Que that I had rigged up with a rotiserie (sp?) to do whole chicken. I miss that lengthy process, but it seemed imparactical for the work involved.

Reminds me of a (otherwise) very smart person I know, that once suggested that I do chicken on the BBQ, by wrapping in foil! Need I say more?

/ BBQ Lump coal choices! #35  
I will heartily disagree. And I am not talking about flavored woods. I am talking about charred wood (lump charcoal). There is a HUGE difference between propane and lump charcoal. I challenge you to prove it to yourself.

Find me a competition BBQer that uses propane instead of lump charcoal or wood.

Here is a short video of how lump charcoal is made:

How Royal Oak Lump Charcoal Is Made - YouTube

I'm with you. I also add cured Mesquite, Pecan and Blackjack Oak chunks to my charcoal to get the additional smoke flavor. I've eaten some pretty good steaks my Mom cooked with in the broiler, and brisket cooked in the oven, but give me my charcoal and wood smoke!

/ BBQ Lump coal choices! #36  
It's like, tell me what I'm eating and I'll tell you how it tastes. I will never forget at about age twelve, my Father and I were invited to dinner here at neighbors. Thought I was eating the best steak I had ever had. Turned out it was Beef Heart. I was mortified and ready to vomit!

/ BBQ Lump coal choices!
It's like, tell me what I'm eating and I'll tell you how it tastes. I will never forget at about age twelve, my Father and I were invited to dinner here at neighbors. Thought I was eating the best steak I had ever had. Turned out it was Beef Heart. I was mortified and ready to vomit!

Ha ha. Yeah sometimes best not to know before you try. Might discover a delicious food that your normal biases would prevent you from the pleasure. Of course it can go the other way too! Do you feel lucky?

/ BBQ Lump coal choices! #38  
I think I see trends and fads everywhre I look. As for food, a while back it was stir fries, then flat bread, wraps and panimis (sp?). But the really BIG one is Chipotle! Chipotle this and chipotle that!

/ BBQ Lump coal choices! #39  

I love beef heart, but haven't seen any in the stores for 40 years.

/ BBQ Lump coal choices! #40  
I thought I could go to Habitat or thrift stores and find a replacement charcoal BBQ to do my whole chicken. You used to be able buy them new for 29.95 and used for five bucks at a garage sale! Or FREE like my last one. Not any more with this trend!

We once had this Hibachi fad a long time ago. EVERYONE had to have a hibachi! There was even a movie, "The Hibachi Papers" lol