Your towing rigs and trailers

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #3,631  
I had a 1 ton dump truck. It was convenient for a lot of stuff, but it was still limited on weight capacity. I also used it as a plow truck and it wasn't the best for that (visibility sucked and DRW didn't grip as well as SRW). And it just wasn't convenient to drive in general. It just wasn't ideal for my uses. I have switched to a SRW 1 ton with gooseneck. I have a 14k dump trailer and a 20k deck-over. These suit my purposes much better. The standard bed is okay, but I plan on replacing it with a flatbed as soon as I can afford the materials and time to build it. A flatbed will just work better for what I'm using the truck for. I'll build some stake pocket sides for the flat bed for when I need sides, and a removable rack for when I need to haul long items.

301744_384985691537157_1027148591_n.jpg20180515_190633.jpg20180908_110238.jpg

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #3,632  
I had a 1 ton dump truck. It was convenient for a lot of stuff, but it was still limited on weight capacity. I also used it as a plow truck and it wasn't the best for that (visibility sucked and DRW didn't grip as well as SRW). And it just wasn't convenient to drive in general. It just wasn't ideal for my uses. I have switched to a SRW 1 ton with gooseneck. I have a 14k dump trailer and a 20k deck-over. These suit my purposes much better. The standard bed is okay, but I plan on replacing it with a flatbed as soon as I can afford the materials and time to build it. A flatbed will just work better for what I'm using the truck for. I'll build some stake pocket sides for the flat bed for when I need sides, and a removable rack for when I need to haul long items.

View attachment 670684View attachment 670678View attachment 670679

I agree the 1 tons are a little light on payload. Dump bodies should be a 450 class minimum. My 6500 truck has sure spared my ton truck a lot of abuse.

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #3,635  
At the show. '56 White WC22PLT, White 250A six cylinder flathead engine, 5 speed Clark OD trans, Eaton 2 speed electric shift rear axle.

Attachments

• IMG_2861.JPG
    IMG_2861.JPG
    645 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_2866.JPG
    IMG_2866.JPG
    687.6 KB · Views: 140
   / Your towing rigs and trailers #3,636  
I had a question about a trailer. Kinda in the market for a trailer (sometime 2021) and have used lots of different trailers from tandem deck overs to utility carts. Never used a gooseneck.

Needs pulling 9500lbs plus the trailer.

The trailer that’s got my attention is the drive over fender trailer because one tractor I have is over 90” wide on the rear. IMG_6772.JPG

Most the tractors I have can fit inside 82”. I have a Mahindra 5555 with a 7ft bush hog so the total rig is over 25ft. I was thinking the mega style ramps so I could let stuff hang off the rear a little if it’s too long to fit on the trailer or I’d be buying a 30ft trailer lol. Sure-Trac (I’m sure others also) has what they call a universal ramp which isn’t as long as the mega ramps. IMG_6771.JPG

So I was thinking 14k, 22ft drive over fenders (102” wide) with the shorter mega ramps and 2ft dove tail. Thoughts? Seems this trailer would not only be cheaper than a standard deck over, lower loading height would be a plus and it’s 1000lbs plus lighter than deck overs I have seen. That 22ft trailer would be around 3500lbs. Lighter trailer is easier on the truck.

I don’t really want to go goose neck because I wanted a more universal trailer that’s capable of hauling my biggest tractors the few times a year I take them to shows or pulls. The rest of the time a standard equipment trailer works just fine.

Thoughts? Good idea or waste of money? Feedback if you have a similar trailer I’m describing.

Last edited:
   / Your towing rigs and trailers #3,637  
I had a question about a trailer. Kinda in the market for a trailer (sometime 2021) and have used lots of different trailers from tandem deck overs to utility carts. Never used a gooseneck.

The trailer that’s got my attention is the drive over fender trailer because one tractor I have is over 90” wide on the rear. View attachment 672383

Most the tractors I have can fit inside 82”. I have a Mahindra 5555 with a 7ft bush hog so the total rig is over 25ft. I was thinking the mega style ramps so I could let stuff hang off the rear a little if it’s too long to fit on the trailer or I’d be buying a 30ft trailer lol. Sure-Trac (I’m sure others also) has what they call a universal ramp which isn’t as long as the mega ramps. View attachment 672384

So I was thinking 14k, 22ft drive over fenders (102” wide) with the shorter mega ramps and 2ft dove tail. Thoughts? Seems this trailer would not only be cheaper than a standard deck over, lower loading height would be a plus and it’s 1000lbs plus lighter than deck overs I have seen. That 22ft trailer would be around 3500lbs. Lighter trailer is easier on the truck.

I don’t really want to go goose neck because I wanted a more universal trailer that’s capable of hauling my biggest tractors the few times a year I take them to shows or pulls. The rest of the time a standard equipment trailer works just fine.

Thoughts? Good idea or waste of money? Feedback if you have a similar trailer I’m describing.

canyou get the mega ramps with the drive over fender? I called two ish years ago and spoke to someone who said that you could get the drive over fenders with regular stand up ramps or the standard 82" between fenders and mega ramps. if you can that's awesome and i will be looking into doing the same thing. also do you have enough space under the bushhog to flip the ramps over and lay them flat?

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #3,638  

The trailer that痴 got my attention is the drive over fender trailer because one tractor I have is over 90 wide on the rear. View attachment 672383

Most the tractors I have can fit inside 82? I have a Mahindra 5555 with a 7ft bush hog so the total rig is over 25ft. I was thinking the mega style ramps so I could let stuff hang off the rear a little if it痴 too long to fit on the trailer or I壇 be buying a 30ft trailer lol. Sure-Trac (I知 sure others also) has what they call a universal ramp which isn稚 as long as the mega ramps. View attachment 672384

So I was thinking 14k, 22ft drive over fenders (102 wide) with the shorter mega ramps and 2ft dove tail. Thoughts? Seems this trailer would not only be cheaper than a standard deck over, lower loading height would be a plus and it痴 1000lbs plus lighter than deck overs I have seen. That 22ft trailer would be around 3500lbs. Lighter trailer is easier on the truck.

I don稚 really want to go goose neck because I wanted a more universal trailer that痴 capable of hauling my biggest tractors the few times a year I take them to shows or pulls. The rest of the time a standard equipment trailer works just fine.

Thoughts? Good idea or waste of money? Feedback if you have a similar trailer I知 describing.

Consider that you probably do not want to haul a tractor with the weight on the fenders even if they are adequate for driving over when loading. Often the problem with your proposed solution is that you can't get the tractor in the correct spot for weight balance without having a tire up on a fender. Your situation might allow it, but do be aware of that potential complication. Our non-deck over delivery trailers (we have deck over as well) all have drive over fenders as they are really tough which is a bonus when or if you bump them loading and on the rare occasion when we plan poorly and send the wrong trailer we have at least a chance of still loading up a wide rolling load.

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #3,639  
I would get the regular ramps so you can let the tail wheel stick between them. Here’s a load that I couldn’t have done with mega ramps. My backhoe sticks off to. I used to have a GN trailer with mega ramps. They were great for loading a skid steer which you can’t see backing off but for a tractor I don’t see the benefits outweighing the downsides. ( more cost, more weight, and much heavier to fold up and more restrictive on length.)

Attachments

• IMG_9109.JPG
    IMG_9109.JPG
    392.8 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
   / Your towing rigs and trailers #3,640  
Consider that you probably do not want to haul a tractor with the weight on the fenders even if they are adequate for driving over when loading. Often the problem with your proposed solution is that you can't get the tractor in the correct spot for weight balance without having a tire up on a fender. Your situation might allow it, but do be aware of that potential complication. Our non-deck over delivery trailers (we have deck over as well) all have drive over fenders as they are really tough which is a bonus when or if you bump them loading and on the rare occasion when we plan poorly and send the wrong trailer we have at least a chance of still loading up a wide rolling load.

I didn’t plan to haul with weight on the fender. I figure if I back the Massey 98 up on the trailer I can better balance the load. The rest of the tractors fit in between fenders. Well my Bush Hog won’t it’s 7ft wide.