BBQ Lump coal choices!

/ BBQ Lump coal choices! #51  
I light my lump with a MAPP torch, it takes about 20 seconds and you're good to go. Trouble is my wife doesn't like it either. You do have to be careful if you get some lump that sparks as you can get a shower from it.

/ BBQ Lump coal choices! #52  
What is the 'uptime' (time when you can cook) on the Trager and does it do a good job on say thick Elk steaks? Finally, what is the fuel consumption? Wood pellets for them are quite expensive. Reason I ask is, my wife is adverse to lighting chunk charcoal (even with a chimney starter so the Pellet grill is a viable option.

Don't know if I'd get a Trager, they are the most expensive and there are other makers out there now.

My Lord do I love Elk . . . more soon for us . . .

/ BBQ Lump coal choices!
What is the 'uptime' (time when you can cook) on the Trager and does it do a good job on say thick Elk steaks? Finally, what is the fuel consumption? Wood pellets for them are quite expensive. Reason I ask is, my wife is adverse to lighting chunk charcoal (even with a chimney starter so the Pellet grill is a viable option.

Don't know if I'd get a Trager, they are the most expensive and there are other makers out there now.
Ya know, I have never really timed it to get my Traeger to max temp (450degF). Maybe a little faster than the lump char and a chimney but not like turning on propane. I only use my Traeger for slow cooking chicken, ribs, etc.

Yes there are cheaper pellet grills and thinner walls. My Traeger doesn't hold heat all that well and on cold days it struggles. I have seen blankets to help smokers hold their temps.

The problem with my pellet bbq is that 450deg isn't hot enough to cook steaks the way that I like so I was still using propane until the elements finally were burnt beyond recognition. Once I got my PK Grill, it was retired.

I do understand someone not wanting to use a chimney and dump a bunch of red hot charcoal. Hi temp BBQ gloves and being careful not to lose any hot coals overboard is important.

/ BBQ Lump coal choices! #54  
Ya know, I have never really timed it to get my Traeger to max temp (450degF). Maybe a little faster than the lump char and a chimney but not like turning on propane. I only use my Traeger for slow cooking chicken, ribs, etc.

Yes there are cheaper pellet grills and thinner walls. My Traeger doesn't hold heat all that well and on cold days it struggles. I have seen blankets to help smokers hold their temps.

The problem with my pellet bbq is that 450deg isn't hot enough to cook steaks the way that I like so I was still using propane until the elements finally were burnt beyond recognition. Once I got my PK Grill, it was retired.

I do understand someone not wanting to use a chimney and dump a bunch of red hot charcoal. Hi temp BBQ gloves and being careful not to lose any hot coals overboard is important.
Sooo you can get a great steak off of it?

Good info Dragon really good . . . wife said next month I'm good to go . . . :cool2:

/ BBQ Lump coal choices!
I light my lump with a MAPP torch, it takes about 20 seconds and you're good to go. Trouble is my wife doesn't like it either. You do have to be careful if you get some lump that sparks as you can get a shower from it.
Wow Jim! I don't know to get a pile of lump red hot in 20sec? I like them completely on fire before spreading them. I use a 'tumbleweed' and and a chimney. That takes 15 to 20 min. I might have to experiment with a torch but still can't believe I will be good to go anywhere near what you are advertising.

/ BBQ Lump coal choices! #56  
I'm not saying it is ready to cook but enough lump is lit to get things going and in another 20 min. or so It will be up to temp and ready to go. I first heard about this on the old Greeneggers site and there are a lot of people who use it. I've tried the chimney and starter cubes etc. but find this works best for me.

/ BBQ Lump coal choices!
I'm not saying it is ready to cook but enough lump is lit to get things going and in another 20 min. or so It will be up to temp and ready to go. I first heard about this on the old Greeneggers site and there are a lot of people who use it. I've tried the chimney and starter cubes etc. but find this works best for me.
I gotcha... I thought you were ready to cook. I think my wife would much prefer your method. She is paranoid about the chimney.

/ BBQ Lump coal choices! #58  

I have three sets of welding gloves at the house with 3 seperate uses 1 set stays with my lump charcoal for use with the smoker. 1 set lives on the utensil stand for the wood stove. And finally the last set is used for welding

/ BBQ Lump coal choices!
I have three sets of welding gloves at the house with 3 seperate uses 1 set stays with my lump charcoal for use with the smoker. 1 set lives on the utensil stand for the wood stove. And finally the last set is used for welding
There you go... I used to use an abandoned (lost) lineman's glove I found along the property line long ago. I then started using a pair of uncomfortable welding gloves when I upgraded. Recently, I was treated to some fancy tight fitting dedicated BBQ gloves but I think I like my looser fitting old welding gloves better.

/ BBQ Lump coal choices! #60  
Maybe I need to get my gas axe out next time I fire up the grill and light my charcoal with oxygen acetylene ????