Stake pocket stabilizers?

/ Stake pocket stabilizers? #1  

tallfreak

Bronze Member
Tractor
na
I need stabilizers on my 20ft 12k trailer. I dont have room for a swivel screw type jack, and I dont want to remove my rear stake pockets.

I was thinking abkut getting some 1.5x3.5 7 guage steel tubing and drilling holes down it so I could pin it through the stake pockets. I would make it with a removable foot so I can pull them out if needed. When traveling I would just leave them in the highest position.

Is there anything wrong with this idea? Are the stake pockets strong enough? The heaviest thing I load at this moment is my ck3510 with loaded rear tires and a 1000lb ballast.

Of course I would have a lot of this tubing left over i would probably use to make some stake pocket D rings and a spare tire carrier.

/ Stake pocket stabilizers? #2  
Do your ramps not have supports on them?

/ Stake pocket stabilizers?
I have slide in ramps. I didnt want folding ramps.

I have been carrying a couple of concrete blocks with me to support the tail of the trailer.

/ Stake pocket stabilizers? #4  
If the load, once on the trailer, keeps some weight on the legs, how will you pull the pin to raise them?

Bruce

/ Stake pocket stabilizers? #5  
If the load, once on the trailer, keeps some weight on the legs, how will you pull the pin to raise them?

Bruce

Bruce,,,, always the thinker..... Good point my friend!!!! :D

/ Stake pocket stabilizers? #6  
mount them in front of the rear pockets. they dont have to be exactly at the rear

Bruce
They don't have to be on the ground. They can be a few inches off the ground and then the trailer will just tilt a little. I havent had any issues with the bricks yet. They are just a pita

/ Stake pocket stabilizers? #8  
You could put a short 4x4 under the leg, crossways. Then if there was any weight on the stabilizer, just pull forward or backwards and it would roll off the 4x4.

Bruce

All I'm asking is about the strength of the stake pockets. I dont see why they couldn't handle it, but I wanted a second opinion.

/ Stake pocket stabilizers? #10  
The stake pockets should be strong enough. Isn't that where most guys anchor there chains or straps to when tying down?