Exhaust Mod on my 3725

/ Exhaust Mod on my 3725 #31  
Since your tractor have the A1700 engine like the 2515 does, you could just get the muffler from a 2515 as it doesn't have emissions on it.

While the muffler could be a direct bolt on, the tail pipe may or may not need some work though.

/ Exhaust Mod on my 3725 #32  
Could be a partial blockage in the fuel system. The light should come on if the DPF is clogged. People here have reported the light coming on before there's a noticable performance impact.

You can try working it hard (i.e. on the road in high range) to get the DPF hot and burn off some of the soot.

You can also get the DPF cleaned for a few hundred $$. Lots of places do it.

Thanks Eric. I'd read all the stuff about drilling holes through the element etc but don't remember seeing that the filters could actually be cleaned. That said I'd like to rid myself of the problem completely.

Since your tractor have the A1700 engine like the 2515 does, you could just get the muffler from a 2515 as it doesn't have emissions on it.

While the muffler could be a direct bolt on, the tail pipe may or may not need some work though.
Ooh! I'll call the dealership and ask them about this. Thanks for the idea Pedro.

/ Exhaust Mod on my 3725
I would tend to agree with Eric on this one.

I'm thinking fuel related. Did your neighbor put fuel in it before bringing it back to you?

Only reason I'm thinking this is from my own experience. I never had any rough engine running, either at idle or higher rpms. My biggest symptoms were loss of power and blinking (or steady) light.

Other thing you could try is taking the bypass plug out and seeing if the extra opening in the exhaust improves anything.

You could still have a plugged filter, and maybe the sensor ports are also plugged, which is why the light isn't on.

Did your neighbor say anything about noticing a light blinking on the dash?

/ Exhaust Mod on my 3725 #34  
I would tend to agree with Eric on this one.

I'm thinking fuel related. Did your neighbor put fuel in it before bringing it back to you?

Only reason I'm thinking this is from my own experience. I never had any rough engine running, either at idle or higher rpms. My biggest symptoms were loss of power and blinking (or steady) light.

Other thing you could try is taking the bypass plug out and seeing if the extra opening in the exhaust improves anything.

You could still have a plugged filter, and maybe the sensor ports are also plugged, which is why the light isn't on.

Did your neighbor say anything about noticing a light blinking on the dash?

All good questions Slim. I think I was maybe jumping to conclusions. When I get back out there this weekend I'll be very methodical in checking everything including the air filter which I haven't cleaned out in a little while. I'll keep everyone updated on the progress and outcome.

Thanks Fellas.

/ Exhaust Mod on my 3725 #35  
Hopefully it will be a simple fix Bob. I agree that it most likely is not DPF related. But I fully understand wanting to eliminate the potential issues. Just one less thing to trouble shoot when there is an issue.

/ Exhaust Mod on my 3725 #36  
Bob, In leu of installing a muffler to disable their DPF, some of us have just gutted the dpf canister. It is easy to disassemble and do; takes a hammer, chisel and an hour or so of your time to knock the carbon like material inside the dpf. You want to leave the screen that is in there though. It is a whole lot easier to do than installing a muffler. Hombre made a fairly detailed post on how to do this somewhere in this forum. The obvious disadvantage is that you will have destroyed your dpf. If you plan to resell it your tractor to a government environmental agent, that would probably be bad move, but I figure most potential buyers would probably be happy to have a disabled dpf. My tractor is really not any noisier, and I have not noticed any problems whatsoever with a gutted dpf. I have noticed a power increase and can run the engine at an idle all day if I wish. I do get a small puff of black smoke at start-up (probably true with a muffler install too). I have no regrets about gutting my dpf.

/ Exhaust Mod on my 3725 #37  
Hopefully it will be a simple fix Bob. I agree that it most likely is not DPF related. But I fully understand wanting to eliminate the potential issues. Just one less thing to trouble shoot when there is an issue.

I'm surprised after 4+ years it hasn't been an issue. Probably the gauntlet of 90-100 degree days from June to September help. But yes, I'm definitely thinking I'd like to cross this off the list of things that could go wrong or that reduce performance.

Bob, In leu of installing a muffler to disable their DPF, some of us have just gutted the dpf canister. It is easy to disassemble and do; takes a hammer, chisel and an hour or so of your time to knock the carbon like material inside the dpf. You want to leave the screen that is in there though. It is a whole lot easier to do than installing a muffler. Hombre made a fairly detailed post on how to do this somewhere in this forum. The obvious disadvantage is that you will have destroyed your dpf. If you plan to resell it your tractor to a government environmental agent, that would probably be bad move, but I figure most potential buyers would probably be happy to have a disabled dpf. My tractor is really not any noisier, and I have not noticed any problems whatsoever with a gutted dpf. I have noticed a power increase and can run the engine at an idle all day if I wish. I do get a small puff of black smoke at start-up (probably true with a muffler install too). I have no regrets about gutting my dpf.

I think cost and everything else weighed, this will be my most likely option. Friday I'll pull a nooner and probably start the troubleshooting.

/ Exhaust Mod on my 3725 #38  
The "butt dyno" as it's called in motorcycling is notoriously inaccurate.

The member here who replaced the DPF with a muffler on his new Branson, running it on the dyno before and after, didn't see a significant difference.

It's likely however that there's a real performance difference between a clogged DPF and a gutted one or a muffler.... but only because it's not clogged.

/ Exhaust Mod on my 3725 #39  
There was a change however in torque. About 100 ftlbs difference. Very noticeable climbing hills.

/ Exhaust Mod on my 3725 #40  
I figured if I was going through the trouble to build a muffler adding a turbo would be just as much work.