Beware of Husqvarna Garden Tractors, Front Scoop "Capable"?

/ Beware of Husqvarna Garden Tractors, Front Scoop "Capable"? #21  
There are many of us who buy a GT/TS series for the rear axle.

The term garden tractor today refers to a riding mower with a heavier duty rear axle assembly and powerful engine that can last for years mowing steeply sloped lawns, pulling lawn rollers, pulling aerators, pulling seed spreaders.

Better check the tag on that "heavier duty rear axle assembly". I have a Husqvarna GT2654 with a dead K46 in it. That's right, the same weak azz K46 they put in the lawn tractors. They added hubs for bolt on wheels to make it look heavier duty.

/ Beware of Husqvarna Garden Tractors, Front Scoop "Capable"? #22  
Better check the tag on that "heavier duty rear axle assembly". I have a Husqvarna GT2654 with a dead K46 in it. That's right, the same weak azz K46 they put in the lawn tractors. They added hubs for bolt on wheels to make it look heavier duty.

I think that most know of the turmoil faced by those who bought that "fake GT". They really did an ignorant thing there... they made a large wheel/tire machine that looked like a typical GT, named it GT as if to say Garden Tractor, and stuck a yard tractor grade rear axle under it. There are many posts across many boards with owners dealing with the failure of that weak rear axle/transmission and even some of owners who successfully swapped that axle out for a much more stout unit.

The TS series all have the K66, it actually is what buyers of your model thought they were buying.

That was really low and dirty thing that Husqvarna did. I do hope that they hang their head in shame for pulling that off on paying customers, many who will rightly never buy a Husqvarna product again after being fleeced like that.

/ Beware of Husqvarna Garden Tractors, Front Scoop "Capable"? #24  
It certainly pays to do due diligence prior to making the purchase. There appears to be no industry standards for what constitutes a lawn tractor, yard tractor, or garden tractor today or historically. That said, there's no way I'd want anything smaller than a BX to have a FEL.

/ Beware of Husqvarna Garden Tractors, Front Scoop "Capable"? #25  
   / Beware of Husqvarna Garden Tractors, Front Scoop "Capable"? #26  
   / Beware of Husqvarna Garden Tractors, Front Scoop "Capable"?
There are many of us who buy a GT/TS series for the rear axle.... I bet that about 1/100th of 1% of buyers put a bucket on a garden tractor. Like, in 50 years I have never met or heard of anyone that I know or knows someone I know who has done such. So while almost everyone I have ever met in this suburban/rural area has at least a light duty riding mower, if not some sort of garden tractor.... no one has this unicorn.

So, if I was Husqvarna/Cub Cadet/Craftsman/Troy Built/XXX/XXX I would ignore the few and keep on keeping on. So few do it, so few fail compared to the many thousands sold... it is absolutely within the acceptable range of product failure. There is a price considered for failures and a price considered to prevent failures. A price for warranty work. A price for everything is considered.

In todays modern 2019 world, the garden tractor of 30 years ago is still absolutely represented in the market place. It done by the modern sub-compact tractor.

The term garden tractor today refers to a riding mower with a heavier duty rear axle assembly and powerful engine that can last for years mowing steeply sloped lawns, pulling lawn rollers, pulling aerators, pulling seed spreaders. A modern garden tractor is not what a 1970's-1980's GT was, nor is it pretending to be so. We do not have 3 points, PTO stub shafts or channel frames any longer. That is left to the sub compacts.

You really need to understand the manufacturers intent in the various products. You can not expect a very inexpensive $3500 GT to go out and do SCUT style work. There is a reason a SCUT costs $12,000, a JD X7XX Series costs $8000+..... it is because they ARE built to do the kind of things that you are trying to do. The problem is that you do not want to spend that money and your hung up on naming convention. Once you get over that accept that the naming conventions of yesterday are not applicable today, and you recalibrate yourself to the YT/GT/SCUT product steps, you'll be all set.

YT = General mowing/turf maintenance use on level to mildly sloped property. Limited to very light and infrequent trailer/implement pulling. Lower cost, less robust components. Light weight, very little turf depression in all but the softest conditions. Best for urban style smaller property in flatter areas.

GT (TS) = General mowing/turf maintenance/snow removal use on moderately sloped property. Allows for significantly heavier trailer/implement pulling and frequent use with larger loads. More costly, mid range driveline components. Light weight, very little turf depression in all but the softest conditions. Best for flat to sloped suburban or smaller rural properties, but no 4x4 typically offered. Great for maintaining a manicured and chemically treated lawn year round under adverse conditions.

SCUT = General mowing/turf maintenance/snow removal/front loader work/backhoe options/PTO/3 point/4x4 abilities. Use allows constant running on significant slopes, much heavier trailer/implement options to include true ground engaging abilities including tillers, plows, disc. Cost is significantly higher, driveline is massively heavier built. Heavier built, unless ground is hard this machine can impart depressions in the turf and underlying dirt if the moisture content is not fairly low. This is the homeowners Swiss army knife, like the higher end GT of the 70's. This is the rural property owners "bestest buddy ever"!

Some urban dwellers may need a SCUT. Some rural dwellers may find success with a YT. There is nothing carved in stone. Evaluate your needs and choose a product that appropriately answers that need with ability.

Good luck.

Interesting and lengthy opinion piece.

It seems to be missing some significant facts, but being that this is mostly a forum for opinions, I guess that's to be expected sometimes.

Since you opened your paragraph mocking the use of a "bucket" (should be a front scoop) by a GT, Calling the idea a "unicorn" and making a bizarre reference to 1/100th of 1% wants to do this.... lets look at this quickly before going on to better stuff.

The requirements for using a front scoop on a GT are, interestingly enough, the same requirements for using snow removal implements on a GT. The same capabilities are needed from the chassis.

So... I'm not sure exactly why you would be calling the use of a "bucket"/ front scoop on a GT a "unicorn"?

To quote your own words, approved uses for the GT include,

"GT (TS) = General mowing/turf maintenance/snow removal use on moderately sloped property...."

Moving on,

You also said "The term garden tractor today refers to a riding mower with a heavier duty rear axle assembly and powerful engine that can last for years mowing steeply sloped lawns, pulling lawn rollers, pulling aerators, pulling seed spreaders"

Can you show me the new official industry standard for such little capability?

Furthermore, you said "A modern garden tractor is not what a 1970's-1980's GT was, nor is it pretending to be so. We do not have 3 points, PTO stub shafts or channel frames any longer. That is left to the sub compacts."

No 3 points? Really?
No PTO stub shaft? Really?
No channel frames? Really?

We are still talking about Garden Tractors aren't we?

It seems that your argument was meant to imply that channel frames were strong enough in the past for machines that could accommodate PTO stub shaft's on GT's? and these are the same GT's of the past that you now equate to the Sub Compact Utility Tractor (SCUT) of today? This make me think that you aren't aware that they are currently putting channel frames on the lesser, cheaper, purely grass cutter lawn tractors (such as the YTH1854 or LGT2654, John Deere E100 or L100). I'm not sure how your comments about the channel frame hold up under this reality.

You further said "You really need to understand the manufacturers intent in the various products."

I agree, and last time I checked their "intent" is to be expressed in their written and verbal advertisements of product capability. Period. That is where I should gain my "understanding". So if a GT from Husqvarna is advertised both in writing and verbally as being completely capable of common GT ground engagement implements then use of a front scoop on a GT would fit within the manufacturers "intent".

Garden tractors??? I'm seeing pictures of lawn tractors from big box stores. Who would think hanging a bunch of weight off the front of these mowers is a good idea? Do any of these examples have a cast iron front axle, or do they have one of those stamped steel units?

I'm glad you see the absurdity in it. There are lawn tractors. The point was how absurd a 26lb, stamped steel, 12 gauge, pan style chassis, is represented by Husqvarna as "capable" when the heaviest of Light garden tractor implements (the Johnny Bucket JR) is not recommended on the Husqvarna TS anything, because it's too weak!!!! Not my words, Johnny Products.

If a grass cutter can have a chassis considered strong enough, then how does Husqvarna get away with labeling their TS a GT?

It's just more proof of Husqvarna TS chassis, being weaker than their cheapest grass cutter, yet they call it a GT as if it's "capable?":banghead:

Perhaps a better question is this,

Who would hang all that weight off the front end of the 2006 Husqvarna YT1942T (96043000300)? That's where the TS354D Chassis was originally used.:laughing:

I think that most know of the turmoil faced by those who bought that "fake GT". They really did an ignorant thing there... they made a large wheel/tire machine that looked like a typical GT, named it GT as if to say Garden Tractor, and stuck a yard tractor grade rear axle under it. There are many posts across many boards with owners dealing with the failure of that weak rear axle/transmission and even some of owners who successfully swapped that axle out for a much more stout unit.

The TS series all have the K66, it actually is what buyers of your model thought they were buying.

That was really low and dirty thing that Husqvarna did. I do hope that they hang their head in shame for pulling that off on paying customers, many who will rightly never buy a Husqvarna product again after being fleeced like that.

Agreed!

But is Husqvarna doing anything different by sticking a K66 in a chassis design for LT's?

Then Husqvarna markets ground engagement attachments for "all Husqvarna tractors"?

This is my old TS chassis,

IMG_2737.JPG

the roots of this failed design are seen here in this cheap grass cutter,

IMG_0578.jpeg

And now looking at the 2,

IMG_2768.JPG

IMG_2761.JPG

IMG_2764.JPG

IMG_2767.JPG

The old version gauge,

IMG_2759.JPG

The new version gauge,

IMG_2749.JPG

The old version just had fewer holes and more steel, with an overall length of 56" verses the new style TS at 57", but weighs less.

Simply Shameful, Husqvarna, your still fleecing the customer!

/ Beware of Husqvarna Garden Tractors, Front Scoop "Capable"? #30  
So does anyone know if Husqvarna is planning on changing back to the C - Channel frame / chassis. I am concidering purchasing a TS 354xd for grass cutting and attaching a snow blower to it from my old Craftsman YT4000 (which oddly enough is a lower end riding mower but has the stronger C - Channel chassis/frame). I am concerned the frame will not be able to handle it and will buckle. I think that if it is being called a "Garden Tractor" at this price range with the K66 and Professional grade Kawasaki engine should have a C-Channel frame and be able to handle at least a snowblower but maybe not a Johnny Bucket which would better be left to a SCUT. I have also looked at the Cub Cadet XT2 GX54D which has the C-Channel frame and would be very comparable, does anyone have any thoughts or insights