I am Beta testing Masseys new software

/ I am Beta testing Masseys new software #1  

homesteader13

Gold Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1755M. John Deere 420-c
I should have started this post a couple weeks ago, but winter hit early and have been super busy!
I am beta testing Masseys new engine managment software for high altitude and cold climate, we have been working on it for the last year, and now testing it in real world conditions, 4500-5500 foot elevation and -25° to 40° temps
I will start thread now and update it over the next days and weeks.
Long story short I bought my 2019 Massey 1755 in Nebraska march 2019.
I put about 200 hours on it before I brought it to the Northern Rockies in Montana Nov 1st 2019. It had never missed a beat or had any issue.
When I got it to Montana, the day after I drove it off the trailer it started have starting and drivability issues and couldn't get out of it own way and ROLLING COAL.
It would eventualy clear up and operate normaly, but the minute you stopped or shut it off and started again, it loaded up and would not clear up for several minutes and had to baby the throttle for several minutes before it would even try to act normal.

I documented everything, hours, elevation, air temp, engine temp, fuel type, ect. Took videos and pics and updated Massey on what where how and when, ect. Put about 100 hours on it over the winter.

Took it back to Nebraska in May 2020 and worked on our property there and put about 50 hours on it in 25° to 95° temps at 900 ft elevation and it never fluttered once.

Took it into my Massey dealer in Oct and they gave it a completemcheck up, checked valve lash and injector timing and all was good.
They then installed the new software and asked me to beta test it as I was bringing it back to Montana at the end of the month.
I got it back here and have put 50 hours on it in the last couple weeks and I will update this post with the conditions, type of work, temps, ect in the upcoming days and weeks.

/ I am Beta testing Masseys new software #2  
So out of curiosity in the last 50 hours has it performed better than it did without the updated software?

/ I am Beta testing Masseys new software #3  
Yeah, he kind of left us hanging on that one didn't he!!!!

/ I am Beta testing Masseys new software #4  
Yes, updates on the software results will be interesting. You move to the Northern Rockies in MT to live from November to May? That might be interesting to learn more about that too. :)

/ I am Beta testing Masseys new software #5  
Fur trapper?

/ I am Beta testing Masseys new software
Sorry for the lag time.
I am 100% off grid up here (5 miles from the nearest power lines and only have internet thanks to the satelites) and working feverishley to prep for winter. 7 miles of property owner maintained roads with an elevation climb of over 1500 feet.
I am compiling the data and updates to post. (I have to provide this same info to Agco/Massey as well, but you my friends are getting it first)
But I will throw this out, was looking for at least a moderate improvment over what I had to deal with last winter, that is not the case at all, it is actually MUCH better than I was anticipating!
More updates on the way.

/ I am Beta testing Masseys new software #7  
Sorry for the lag time.
I am 100% off grid up here (5 miles from the nearest power lines and only have internet thanks to the satelites) and working feverishley to prep for winter. 7 miles of property owner maintained roads with an elevation climb of over 1500 feet.
I am compiling the data and updates to post. (I have to provide this same info to Agco/Massey as well, but you my friends are getting it first)
But I will throw this out, was looking for at least a moderate improvment over what I had to deal with last winter, that is not the case at all, it is actually MUCH better than I was anticipating!
More updates on the way.
WOW!! don't you slide down the hill when there's snow or ice on it?. that can be very dangerous!..

/ I am Beta testing Masseys new software #8  
Sorry for the lag time.
More updates on the way.

Nice, sounds encouraging then!

/ I am Beta testing Masseys new software #9  
I believe you are next in line for the Discovery Channel's Homestead programs. Gutsy. I envy you, but at my age ... not any more ! It is fairly surprising that going from Nebraska at maybe 3000 ft or so to MT at 5 or 6000 ft makes much difference, esp. with a turbocharged diesel. With direct injection you got the fuel and with turbo charging one would think that overcomes any marginal compression to cause combustion. I call it strange BUT if Massey is commiserating with you then obviously their software is tuned to some degree for altitude (e.g. air pressure) changes. Very interesting.

About your internet service -- do you have cell phone? If so you might want to try using the wi-fi hotspot capability of your cell phone feeding a laptop for internet purposes. Then there is recharging ....I assume you use a generator. Good luck and keep the info coming !

/ I am Beta testing Masseys new software #10  
A few years back I put a Kenne Bell Supercharger on a 4.0L Jeep Wrangler engine. I was their first sale. Test Dummy. I sent them my PCM and they reprogrammed it. It would white smoke 37" tires on pavement. Drove like it had a very well built V8. In Missouri.

I took it to Colorado. The higher I went the worse it ran. Black smoke and poor performance. While there I called Kenne Bell and talked to the programmer guy. Thinking maybe I could change injectors or something to get thru the vacation. He said nope. When you get back home send me your PCM again and I'll rewrite it.

Sent the PCM to them. 10 days later had it back. The following Summer went back to Colorado. It ran great.

When I got back home I called Kenne Bell and visited with the Tech again. He said he overlooked elevation changes and had the parameters too restricted. In the rewrite he widened them a bit and that took care of the problem.