Floor heat. under tile

/ Floor heat. under tile #1  

Frankenkubota

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota MX 5800, SkidPro 4 in 1, Ratchet rake, SkidPro pallet forks
Has anyone used the electric mats you install under your flooring, used to heat the floor in your house?

I'm done with laminates etc etc. The big box stores sell a tile that is about 36 inches by 6 inches and looks like wood. I'm sure there are other options. Probably using that.

Tile is cold so I figured i'd put in the floor heating. I will have a heat pump and pellet stove so i'm just interested in taking the chill out of the floors.

I'm on slab and I refuse to have water running around under my floor so it's elec or nothing.

Anyone with experience?

thx

/ Floor heat. under tile #2  
Yes, we have it under our master bath floors going on 7 years now. I highly recommend it.

/ Floor heat. under tile #3  
i actually installed nearly 4,000 SF of mat for a customer that had their entire main floor done in tile (or granite, i forget). i had the mats manufactured in Canada from a company that had me make a paper layout of all floors (not including cabinets, toilets,) i marked on templets where the thermostatic zones were going to be located. i mailed them the templets, they mailed back the pre-made pads. i gave pads to tile installer and was there as they were laid out. fit like a glove. leads were exactly where needed for thermostats. the company supplied all 120 and 240 v tstats and all instructions, including an alarm unit that was installed at each zone while laying tile to alert if there was a breach to the wires.

system has been working trouble free for years. but i would not want to pay his electric bill. but hes rich.

/ Floor heat. under tile #4  
Yep, done it for some clients.
Mostly the wire pattern style that you lay out.
Matts are another style,
Most want a dedicated thermostat that use a probe.

/ Floor heat. under tile
Yep, done it for some clients.
Mostly the wire pattern style that you lay out.
Matts are another style,
Most want a dedicated thermostat that use a probe.

Many thx to all.

I've laid tile plenty of times. I'm sure not a pro but i've screwed up enough to know, this time i hire a tile setter.

I guess my best bet is to find someone who has installed it in the past, nothing like experience.

I've found, if i can keep my feet warm, the rest of me seems ok but the instant my feet get cold, it's over. I Had to give up skiing because of cold feet!

/ Floor heat. under tile #6  
just dont install it under any fixed item such as cabinets, as they will overheat system in that location and damage mat.

/ Floor heat. under tile #7  
I've installed the Schluter brand on a few bathrooms from my tile supplier. It makes me nervous that it won't work after all the tile is installed, but so far, they have all worked fine. I bought the tester to make sure it's installed properly and nothing got cut or pinched before laying tile over it, but it still made me nervous.

/ Floor heat. under tile #8  
I've installed the Schluter brand on a few bathrooms from my tile supplier. It makes me nervous that it won't work after all the tile is installed, but so far, they have all worked fine. I bought the tester to make sure it's installed properly and nothing got cut or pinched before laying tile over it, but it still made me nervous.

Know the feeling.

Did an entry and then along came the floor sanding crew.
Yep, they nicked the heat wire!*
I carefully chipped away the grout/cement and was able to re attach (solder a splice) and get it back to heating.
As they say, All's well that ends well.

*they used a large disk sander that undercut a corner of a tile

/ Floor heat. under tile #9  
My parents have it in their bathroom. I don’t know what the cost is to run, I think it’s like 1500 watts but the warm floor is nice.