What thickness angle iron to weld hooks on bucket?

/ What thickness angle iron to weld hooks on bucket? #1  

MUDONTHETIRES

Gold Member
Tractor
Mahindra 6065 4WD
My bucket is 78 inches wide and loader will pick up 3500 pounds. I want to weld hooks to a full length piece of angle iron to support the bucket. Is 1/4 inch thick enough? Thanks in advance.

/ What thickness angle iron to weld hooks on bucket? #2  
My bucket is 78 inches wide and loader will pick up 3500 pounds. I want to weld hooks to a full length piece of angle iron to support the bucket. Is 1/4 inch thick enough? Thanks in advance.

With your 62HP tractor I would use 3/8" angle.

/ What thickness angle iron to weld hooks on bucket? #3  
1/4" seems plenty to me, but also depends on how far it will span. If it is a short span, then thinner would be OK whereas a longer span would point towards thicker steel. I think mine was 3/16 (maybe 1/4) but the vertical leg got cut down to only 3/4" high or so and the horizontal leg was maybe 3". With only a 3/4" leg it didn't need to be too beefy.

Mine:
DSCN0121.JPG

/ What thickness angle iron to weld hooks on bucket? #4  
I used 2x2x1/4 inch and skipped the hooks...

Eyes-3.jpg

Slots-3.jpg

Bucket.jpg

Slots work with either 1/4 or 5/16 chain...

Dale

/ What thickness angle iron to weld hooks on bucket?
1/4" seems plenty to me, but also depends on how far it will span. If it is a short span, then thinner would be OK whereas a longer span would point towards thicker steel. I think mine was 3/16 (maybe 1/4) but the vertical leg got cut down to only 3/4" high or so and the horizontal leg was maybe 3". With only a 3/4" leg it didn't need to be too beefy.

Mine:
View attachment 684515

Thank you for the info. Nice bucket setup!

/ What thickness angle iron to weld hooks on bucket? #8  
2 x 2 x 3/8 full width with 3/8" plate on the sides.

3900lbs lift capacity to full height

Zero bends in 15 years. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• PC220026.JPG
    PC220026.JPG
    412.3 KB · Views: 196
   / What thickness angle iron to weld hooks on bucket? #9  
Mine is 1/4" x 2" x 2" but I would rather have had 3/8" thick, I just couldn't find any. With that said though, the 1/4" has worked fine and I have put some pretty heavy loads on it. Just make sure the chain is all the way down in the slot.

IMG_0260.JPG IMG_0320.JPG IMG_0321.JPG

/ What thickness angle iron to weld hooks on bucket?
2 x 2 x 3/8 full width with 3/8" plate on the sides.

3900lbs lift capacity to full height

Zero bends in 15 years. :thumbsup:

MtnViewRanch, great to see you! Been years since I've been on here. Thanks for the input, I'm going with 3/8 full width and probably will do the side plates as well since I'm putting on a tooth bar. Thanks again!