Best firearm for home protection? I realize a lot is personal choice involved?

/ Best firearm for home protection? I realize a lot is personal choice involved? #1  

coffeeman

Platinum Member
My Grandson likes 20 gauge shotgun or smaller, Also likes 9 mm hand gun ... I know there are a lot of different thoughts? I just thought I'd
Consult with the TBN group.

Thanks in advance.......You all stay HEALTHY & SAFE.......Coffeeman

/ Best firearm for home protection? I realize a lot is personal choice involved? #2  
Something simple enough and familiar enough, for all users, to operate when sleepy, scared, and in the dark.

And not something that will go through three houses.

Bruce

Last edited:
   / Best firearm for home protection? I realize a lot is personal choice involved? #3  
Can a spear gun avoid any of the current laws, hurtles and possible future confiscation?

/ Best firearm for home protection? I realize a lot is personal choice involved? #5  
A shotgun loaded with birdshot has the advantage of it won’t shoot through walls and injury unintended victims. I like defense guns to be simple and reliable like revolvers and pumps.

/ Best firearm for home protection? I realize a lot is personal choice involved? #6  
You can't go wrong with a Mossberg 500 12 ga or 20 ga, probably with Buck. Im not a believer in bird shot. Might want to go with 9mm in a semi auto or 38 spl/357 mag, either in revolver or lever gun. Don't look past 9mm carbines either. I would avoid the pistol grip or ultra short shotguns. They are hard to handle, and imo more of a novelty then particle gun.

/ Best firearm for home protection? I realize a lot is personal choice involved? #7  

Some interesting points for home defense. Current state of affairs, whatever ammo you can find the get the delivery tools

/ Best firearm for home protection? I realize a lot is personal choice involved? #8  
I have a Mossburg 500, with different barrrels, but really always wished I had an R 870. The 500 always struck me as a cheap budget SG. Mix up some nice Malaysian (sp?) loads.

My biggest concern for family members is them being afraid to discharge the weapon for fear of recoil, noise, effect/consequences, whatever.

Last edited:
   / Best firearm for home protection? I realize a lot is personal choice involved? #9  
I initially bought a 12 gauge browning bps stalker. But really like my S&W 40 with a streamlight on the rail in my nightstand.

/ Best firearm for home protection? I realize a lot is personal choice involved? #10  
Long gun? Stoeger semi auto for the home is a nice choice. Mossberg 935 for hunting season.

IMO, the best home defense weapon is a Benelli M-4
It was tested at Aberdeen Proving Grounds in 98 and selected by the Marine Corp as their shotgun. It is a lightning fast 12ga auto loader with low recoil, which improves accuracy.
Would love to own one day.
4750 is right, bird shot will do less damage to others and won’t go through your intruder into a loved one (unless you miss)

Below left is my Stoeger, right are Marines firing the military version of the M4 (M1014) and Mossberg 500's.

Attachments

• 40572527-B704-453B-B9E2-11FDA3116B95.jpeg
    40572527-B704-453B-B9E2-11FDA3116B95.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 182
  • F59EA428-5478-402E-8846-FF67754853CE.jpeg
    F59EA428-5478-402E-8846-FF67754853CE.jpeg
    7.2 MB · Views: 173
Last edited: