Land Clearing Project

/ Land Clearing Project
Here in East Texas, my neighbor has had the same thing done on his land several times. It looks amazing for the first year, but the next year, the weeds really take off and by the end of the second year, it's thicker then before he had it cleared. He says that he's going to keep it mowed, but he's too busy doing other things, and it gets out of control again. I think we are on the third clearing in a dozen years, and it's starting to turn to weeds again.
That can certainly happen if your not mowing it twice a year. Imagine spending all the time and money on clearing efforts, only to let it grow back again. This picture shows a portion that was selectivity cleared by tractor two years ago. Picture was taken today and is showing no weeds are coming back, and the natural field grass is doing well.View attachment 690286

Last edited:
   / Land Clearing Project #12  
Although your site is within woods - restoring land to native grass is a great endeavor! My 100+ acres is practically all native grass now and is on a management plan that includes cattle, prescribed burns among manual removal of invasive scrubs etc.

I have been doing this for the past 3.5 years. Just love it - quail population is increasing each year. My little slice of heaven on earth.

IMG_2736.jpg

IMG_2735.jpg

IMG_2563.jpg

DJI_0048_Original.jpg

IMG_2534.jpg

IMG_2535.jpg

IMG_2401.jpg

IMG_2407.jpg

IMG_2375.jpg

/ Land Clearing Project #13  
IMG_2335.jpg

IMG_2138.jpg

IMG_2126.jpg

IMG_2023.jpg

All the paths/dirt are the fire breaks for when we do the prescribed burn.

/ Land Clearing Project
Absolutely beautiful. Looks like a lot of thought, planning and consistent hard work and effort went into your 100 acre property. Here, on my property, I am not allowed to burn on my property, because the Texas State Conservation Department owns all the adjacent properties and are my neighbors on three sides, and have posted large signs and notices banning burns with prior permission and expressed consent.

/ Land Clearing Project #15  
Sounds like if you put a burn plan together and hired an experienced burn crew you maybe able to burn with the correct precautions in place which includes the fire breaks which are very very important.

Your land looks great too! All the best enjoying your native grasses. No need to water or fertilize.

/ Land Clearing Project #16  
Absolutely beautiful. Looks like a lot of thought, planning and consistent hard work and effort went into your 100 acre property. Here, on my property, I am not allowed to burn on my property, because the Texas State Conservation Department owns all the adjacent properties and are my neighbors on three sides, and have posted large signs and notices banning burns with prior permission and expressed consent.
Maybe you could burn when they burn?

/ Land Clearing Project #17  
I had my property mulched so we could safely cut the big pines etc and drop them.

Then I've been on my tractor stacking and burning.

If I ever change professions, it'd be buying a huge forestry mulcher

/ Land Clearing Project #18  
Here in East Texas, my neighbor has had the same thing done on his land several times. It looks amazing for the first year, but the next year, the weeds really take off and by the end of the second year, it's thicker then before he had it cleared. He says that he's going to keep it mowed, but he's too busy doing other things, and it gets out of control again. I think we are on the third clearing in a dozen years, and it's starting to turn to weeds again.
It's easy to do Eddie! Cleared about 6 acres 2 summers ago about like rademamj1, interspersed with trees. Was busy all last summer building a shop and never got around to bush hogging it, looked like crap at the end of the summer. Plan on doing better this year.

/ Land Clearing Project
All it takes is two mowings in a single year, and those darn weeds typically won't come back. I left a lot of trees and that slowed down my mowings with tractor and rotary cutter. So I got a very well used commercial zero turn with 1900 hrs, and that made everything easier from mowing perspective. Just make sure your trees are trimmed head high, and all stumps removed.
View attachment 689745

Last edited:
   / Land Clearing Project #20  
Like to old saying..."Equipment only as good as the operator"