Tractor News Viable Electric Tractor?

/ Viable Electric Tractor? #61  
One thing I’ve learned in my line of work is that battery technology advances at a much, much slower rate than other technologies. So while batteries may be viable in situations where big and heavy makes sense, like stationary electrical backup, it doesn’t make sense where small, light, and space efficient matters, like most vehicles and airplanes.

Simply put, it’s a problem of energy density, there’s a whole lot more energy in a gallon of diesel than there is in a gallon of battery, and it weighs a lot less, and that ain’t changin’ for a long time.

/ Viable Electric Tractor? #62  
In indiana they developed a 21st century task force for energy. This task force was developed bc in my county we were slated to get wind turbines. Nobody wanted them other than the farmers. After a 3 year fight our ordinance was passed and the wind company said they couldn't build. Anyway once word got around about the wind company not building here. Our great governor decided to put together a task force. I attended a meeting. Where several people on both sides talked. A gentleman gave a presentation about battery storage and said that it wasn't a sustainable tech. He did mention I believe flow storage which is suppose to basically revolutionize the industry in energy storage.

BTW the wind company is suing our county as well. Its great having these **** companies trying to get in.

One thing I’ve learned in my line of work is that battery technology advances at a much, much slower rate than other technologies. So while batteries may be viable in situations where big and heavy makes sense, like stationary electrical backup, it doesn’t make sense where small, light, and space efficient matters, like most vehicles and airplanes.

Simply put, it’s a problem of energy density, there’s a whole lot more energy in a gallon of diesel than there is in a gallon of battery, and it weighs a lot less, and that ain’t changin’ for a long time.

/ Viable Electric Tractor? #63  
I used to have one, but kept running over the mile long extension cord with the mower. Baler wasn't too keen on it either...

/ Viable Electric Tractor? #64  
I used to have one, but kept running over the mile long extension cord with the mower. Baler wasn't too keen on it either...
One day in a company meeting somebody tried that "no I in team" thing. I told him " there is no I in smug unless co-worker". Kept the twit quiet for the remainder of the meeting.

/ Viable Electric Tractor? #65  
If everyone buys an electric car, truck and tractor and does away with fossil fuel vehicles the current electrical grid cannot come close to supplying the energy needed. It is pretty close to maxed out now evidenced by brownouts, outages, etc. it would cost trillions to upgrade the electric distribution system to provide the power required. While great in theory, it can’t happen in reality...at least right now.
Is America’s Power Grid Ready for Electric Cars? - CityLab

/ Viable Electric Tractor? #66  
If everyone buys an electric car, truck and tractor and does away with fossil fuel vehicles the current electrical grid cannot come close to supplying the energy needed. It is pretty close to maxed out now evidenced by brownouts, outages, etc. it would cost trillions to upgrade the electric distribution system to provide the power required. While great in theory, it can’t happen in reality...at least right now.

Yep, that's right. The change to electric vehicles will happen over time, just as the current transportation system happened over time.
rScotty

/ Viable Electric Tractor? #67  
No problem charging all those new electric vehicles . Just build some more coal power plants .

/ Viable Electric Tractor? #68  
Solectrac Electric Tractors | eUtility
I am always surprised that there aren't any good electric compact tractors on the market. Hopefully Solectrac will finally change that. I know this won't work for everyone, but it seems perfect for my use case and I am sure many people are in a similar position:
  1. I only use the tractor a few hours at a time, so charging between use isn't an issue.
  2. Its a pain dealing with deisel.
  3. I live on a few acres, and I would like to think of myself as environmentally concious. I would pay a small premium for an electric tractor.
  4. My wife hates the noise of our tractor, and if I had something quieter I would probably get a lot more use out of it.

There is no information about price yet, and short term I expect this to be more expensive, but long term the auto industry is showing that electric drivetrains shouldn't cost any more than diesel. If this was available with a FEL when I got my tractor I probably would have gotten a Solectrac.
Hi - are you still in the market for an E - tractor?

/ Viable Electric Tractor? #69  
I worry when I see proof their marketing department doesn't understand the product.

Battery Charging Time: 4 hours with 220 V and 8 hours with 110 V​

Half the voltage and half the current only doubles charge time? Two times two is four. Should be at least 4 times longer on 110V. More than 4 times because the same overhead powering the BCM (Battery Control Module) is required at either rate. Essentially the tractor has to be powered up to charge and that consumes the same no matter the charge rate.

Another suspicion is how it has a 22 kWh battery and 4 hours * 220 volts * 24 amps = 21.120 kWh. If one states the battery has 22 kWh then one expects there to be 22 kWh of useable battery, no matter how much is really there with reserve to keep user out of damaging deep discharge or excessive charge. Furthermore the math implies 100% efficiency when charging. An honest number is 80% to 85%.
Just amp hours. Use all the time in selecting 2 amps or 6 amps to charge my 12 volt batteries. Voltage doesn't matter.

/ Viable Electric Tractor? #70  
I'd love to have an electric tractor and an electric truck as well. Taking your place off the grid with solar anyway? Now you can run your tractor and truck for free (sorta). War in the middle east? SHTF? Who cares. When it comes to tractors you want torque and an electric drivetrain is far superior in that regard, plus maintenance is far less, there's no need to store or handle toxic chemicals, and the added weight way down low actually becomes an advantage. In 20 years you won't be able to buy a gas/diesel tractor and with fast chargers the electrics will be able to run 24x7 with less downtime than it takes to fuel a diesel. My only fear is it won't get here fast enough for me to afford one.