UTV - Trying to Decide

/ UTV - Trying to Decide #1  

Hysyde

Gold Member
Eastern Ontario, Canada (South of Ottawa)
I've pretty much decided I'm going to buy a UTV but I'm having a hard time taking the plunge, particularly because the price is hard swallow for what your getting in a lot of cases. I doubt I'll buy new, as I don't think I can come in under $25k for what I want and I refuse to spend more than that.

I don't have any particular jobs I intend to put it to work on, just want a general little utility vehicle on the property that I'll also use for recreation. I'm right on the trail network that links to lots of friends/family and I see myself doing lots of that. I'll probably put tracks on in the winter.

I've also decided that I don't really want one unless I get a hard cab with glass windshield and heater. That somewhat limits the options and pretty much keeps me more or less in the utility side of things. I was originally looking at the Honda Pioneer and Yamaha Wolverine 4-5 seaters so I had room for the family, but I don't think those machines are well suited to a full cab (without losing the bed). I do NOT want a long wheelbase (crew) machine. I figured I'll just end up getting the kids a RZR 170 or something so they can tag along from time to time. A large bed like a Ranger or Kubota would be great, but I think I could live with a smaller one like on a Pioneer or Wolverine.

I have a lot of miles in a Kubota RTV X1100C at work, and I absolutely love the cab, ice cold air/hot heat and the solid, tractor-like build. They are SO slow though and not a huge fan of the HST. I might be able to live with one, but with the amount of road/trail running I might want to do, I don't think it's the best solution. Are any of the other RTVs somewhat comparable as far as the cab and solid build, but with a more road friendly engine/tranny?

I'm also looking at Polaris Rangers but my biggest worry with them is reliability, especially if I buy used. I have considered a smaller Ranger (570) as I think they are less prone to tranny problems like the bigger Rangers (and are a lot cheaper to buy new), but I'm worried about power with tracks. The accessories and aftermarket seems huge for the Rangers.

I love most things Honda puts it's name on and I was sure I would go with a Pioneer at one point, but I've heard they are very loud and I don't think the cabs are integrated all that well.

I just started looking at Wolverines from Yamaha. which seem like the cabs are a little better than the Hondas. I don't know how refined they are with a cab on. I'm a big fan of Yamaha too, and might even consider an older Rhino and save some $...

A Can-Am Defender or Commander might be an option, but finding a used one with a cab and heat (especially a Commander) is not easy and new is exorbitant.

The other option I'm considering is a Japanese mini-truck. I really like the looks of the little deckvans and many come with air and they are MUCH cheaper than a SxS/UTV. Not easy to find a ready to buy solution though (in Canada).

Anyway, just looking for general thoughts and insights.

/ UTV - Trying to Decide #2  
I'm in the process of replacing my RTV-900. There's a very good chance I'll replace it with a Kubota RTV-XG850.

A few spec differences (RTV-900 vs. -XG850):

21 hp vs. 48; diesel vs. gas; 28 mph vs 40; better acceleration for the gas (insert "There's a Big Forking Surprise" .gif here); payload 1598 lbs vs. 1435 (this one surprised me); towing 1300 lbs vs. 2000 (another surprise); cargo bed load 1102 lbs. vs. 1000 (cargo bed is same volume 15.3 cu ft.); hydraulic bed lift vs. manual ($850 electric/hydraulic lift as option). Both are four wheel drive. -900 is hydraulic drive (i.e. a small tractor); -XG850 is CVT transmission. Diesel is a Kubota engine; gas is a Subaru (soon to be a Kubota gas engine if it isn't already). Suspension travel is 8" front/8" back vs. 9"/8.5" for Sidekick.

The 28 vs. 40 mph plus the very little, if any, loss of payload/towing capacity has caught my eye.

I am now to the point where I despise the glacially slow -900 diesel/HST powerplant/transmission performance.

ETA:: These guys aren't very far from you:

/ UTV - Trying to Decide #3  
I've been looking as well and wasn't able to find a Yamaha or Honda anywhere near me. Can Am dealer had one I was interested in but there sales department was acting like they were doing me a favor and I couldn't even get them to give me a quote.

/ UTV - Trying to Decide #4  
Have you considered a Suzuki Samurai? For less money you could get one that has been upgraded/restored.

/ UTV - Trying to Decide #5  
i had a Ranger 850 with Cab. I had tracks on it one winter and sold them. Your speed is cut in half with them on and you drive around with the engine screaming away. I also had a RZR 570 and it was fun but useless.

My buddy bought a 570 and sold it after one year. It has transmission issues and was loud.

You will spend a lot of money for what you are looking for so test drive as many as you can and realize you will need to compromise.

Last year, we got the "cheap" Kawasaki Mule SX. Less than $7000 on sale. It is slow (25 mph) but has been very handy. We cruise a lot of old logging trails where speed is too dangerous anyway, visit neighbors, yard work, and run up and down the 200 yard range. We have been happy with it. Kawasaki is the only company to offer a three year warranty.

Your plan to get a RZR 170 for the kids to tag along with may be not work out well. If they are following you, they will be eating dust depending on the type of roads/trails you are running.

BTW, we have snowmobiles for fun riding in the winter. UTV's are not good in the snow and like I said, the tracks suck and add another $4500...get a good winch.

One last thought. If your trails permit, look at a used Jeep Wrangler. It will seat four (cramped in the back but good for kids), and will outlast any UTV. We had one for a couple of years and it handled our trails very well.

/ UTV - Trying to Decide #6  
I've pretty much decided I'm going to buy a UTV but I'm having a hard time taking the plunge, particularly because the price is hard swallow for what your getting in a lot of cases. I doubt I'll buy new, as I don't think I can come in under $25k for what I want and I refuse to spend more than that.

I don't have any particular jobs I intend to put it to work on, just want a general little utility vehicle on the property that I'll also use for recreation. I'm right on the trail network that links to lots of friends/family and I see myself doing lots of that. I'll probably put tracks on in the winter.

I've also decided that I don't really want one unless I get a hard cab with glass windshield and heater. That somewhat limits the options and pretty much keeps me more or less in the utility side of things. I was originally looking at the Honda Pioneer and Yamaha Wolverine 4-5 seaters so I had room for the family, but I don't think those machines are well suited to a full cab (without losing the bed). I do NOT want a long wheelbase (crew) machine. I figured I'll just end up getting the kids a RZR 170 or something so they can tag along from time to time. A large bed like a Ranger or Kubota would be great, but I think I could live with a smaller one like on a Pioneer or Wolverine.

I have a lot of miles in a Kubota RTV X1100C at work, and I absolutely love the cab, ice cold air/hot heat and the solid, tractor-like build. They are SO slow though and not a huge fan of the HST. I might be able to live with one, but with the amount of road/trail running I might want to do, I don't think it's the best solution. Are any of the other RTVs somewhat comparable as far as the cab and solid build, but with a more road friendly engine/tranny?

I'm also looking at Polaris Rangers but my biggest worry with them is reliability, especially if I buy used. I have considered a smaller Ranger (570) as I think they are less prone to tranny problems like the bigger Rangers (and are a lot cheaper to buy new), but I'm worried about power with tracks. The accessories and aftermarket seems huge for the Rangers.

I love most things Honda puts it's name on and I was sure I would go with a Pioneer at one point, but I've heard they are very loud and I don't think the cabs are integrated all that well....

...Not easy to find a ready to buy solution though (in Canada)....

Anyway, just looking for general thoughts and insights.

I pulled the things from your post that you seem to care about.

I still run my 21 year old cabbed Gator and if I would replace it, it would be with this.

AG-5746M GATORTMXUV835R (Model Year 2021) $25,599.00

You wanted to keep it under 25k and I understand you are using loonie and toonies but imagine you figured that in if buying out of US.

You said quiet and I think this fit and finish is the best you can get in a UTV.

My dad burned though 4 Polaris (2 Rangers) in the 20 yrs I have owned my Gator.

My Gator easily and repetitively hauls and dumps 700-1200 lbs.

You said not easy to buy in Canada but this states right on the invoice.
US/Canada. In Base Price Build To Order

https://configure.deere.com/cbyo/#/en_us/configure/109738137/summary

Here is mine plowing snow:

/ UTV - Trying to Decide #7  
“One last thought. If your trails permit, look at a used Jeep Wrangler. It will seat four (cramped in the back but good for kids), and will outlast any UTV. We had one for a couple of years and it handled our trails very well.”

amen, I went w a cj5 over neighbor rtv. He sold that and did the same. More capable for us minus dump but we use our trailers anyway. We have the same room in back for saws, cans etc and it is handy to run to the store

/ UTV - Trying to Decide #8  
I've had my X2 Wolverine for a little less than a year and have no complaints. I use it to run chores around our property and plow snow with a little bit of trail riding and dirt road riding thrown in. It has plenty of power (for me) and the suspension is worlds better than my dad's diesel Mule. There is a FB page dedicated to them and recently saw that a guy was thinking about trading his in for the newer model. His X2 appeared to have a full cab on it. Here is a picture of it:

And also an ad for one with a full cab from the same dealer I bought mine from: 2020 Yamaha Wolverine X2 R-Spec Realtree Edge w/Alum. Wheels

Attachments

• 165594319_4119546278066137_5474940063537314734_o.jpg
    165594319_4119546278066137_5474940063537314734_o.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 231
Last edited: