Knockoff Dewlat Batteries won't take a charge

/ Knockoff Dewlat Batteries won't take a charge #1  

JCBinWY

Tractor
JCB
Hello,
I have a bunch of older dewalt 18v tools and was hoping to keep them going for a long time but am struggling to find batteries that will take a charge.

I have purchased 4 different batteries lately as my old 10+ year old original dewalt batteries fail. But these are knockoff batteries since dewalt no longer makes the old style or I would just purchase more of those.

I have 3 of the Dewalt 9310 chargers which are good for all types of batteries. All have the same result with these batteries.

After putting the new battery on the charger after a few seconds I get the fast flashing light which indicates "replace pack". I tested voltages as seen in the pics, all are showing 15-20v.

I am not sure what to do at this point and figured you all might have an idea since many folks still have these older tools. Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• IMG_0178 (1).jpg
    IMG_0178 (1).jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 97
  • IMG_0179 (1).jpg
    IMG_0179 (1).jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 105
  • IMG_0180.jpg
    IMG_0180.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 96
   / Knockoff Dewlat Batteries won't take a charge #2  
You might Google it. It seems like there is some kind of trick but I can’t remember what it is.

/ Knockoff Dewlat Batteries won't take a charge
You might Google it. It seems like there is some kind of trick but I can’t remember what it is.
I have done quite a bit of that. Most were about getting the voltage up to a certain point so they would take a charge, but these all seem to test high enough. Most I saw were for batteries that had dropped below 5v and needed a boost just to take a charge.

I'm thinking I should just try a knockoff charger, maybe the dewalt chargers are the issue.

/ Knockoff Dewlat Batteries won't take a charge #5  
I may be going down the same road, I have an 18 volt drill and grease gun. I thought I saw some kind of rig where you can use the newer 20 volt batteries, some kind of an adapter.

/ Knockoff Dewlat Batteries won't take a charge #6  
Dewalt instead of making more batteries switched to 20 volt lithium. They along with others have also added a battery adaptor to use 20v batteries on the 18v tool line. These will work on 95% of all the 18v tools. There are very few that the adaptor wont have clearance for.

Also if you dont want to upgrade Batteries Plus will rebuild your old 18 volt batteries like new or better.

Lots of choices that work

/ Knockoff Dewlat Batteries won't take a charge
Update,

I went ahead and purchased one of the knockoff chargers from e-bay and it works! I don't know why but the factory dewalt chargers will not charge these new knockoff batteries.

I did see the adapters. That's not really an option IMO as by the time you buy new 20v batteries, chargers, and adapters you might as well just upgrade the tools and forget about 18v. That just does not pencil out for me.

I also checked and Batteries plus was about $50 per battery by the time it was all said and done. That may be an option to consider but you can buy these knockoffs for $20 or less so that's also significantly more expensive unless they last twice as long.

In the end you can keep your 18V dewalt tools running on the knockoff batteries and chargers for the least amount of $. You just need to replace the factory chargers.

/ Knockoff Dewlat Batteries won't take a charge #8  
I’ve bought numerous knockoff batteries that are the newer style flat top ones and my service hasn’t been that great from them. They seem to last 1-2 years.

/ Knockoff Dewlat Batteries won't take a charge #9  
I encountered a similar problem with my 20v batteries. I had always just slid them on the charger and they charged. For some reason that stopped happening. It would start flashing like it was charging then stop flashing indicating full charge but they were dead. Turns out you have to push the battery down on the charger until it clicks for the 20v.

/ Knockoff Dewlat Batteries won't take a charge #10  
I’ve bought numerous knockoff batteries that are the newer style flat top ones and my service hasn’t been that great from them. They seem to last 1-2 years.
Mine are a year old and so far so good, but I doubt that I use them as much as you do. No matter anyways as I didn't pay for them; I placed the order, paying with PayPal, received the confirmation notice but they never finished processing the payment. Actually I never heard one word from the company after I placed my order; the batteries simply showed up one day.