Premix vs gas station 2 stroke

/ Premix vs gas station 2 stroke #41  
   / Premix vs gas station 2 stroke #42  
I'm guessing pump gas will start to change chemically the minute it leaves the refinery. It'll change sitting in the underground storage tank at the station, and it'll change sitting in a can or machine in your shed.

However, what constitutes 'bad gas'? That's a loaded question.

:ROFLMAO:

What does 'gas going bad' mean? At what point is it no-good? As I've mentioned a bazillion times, I've been using E10 87 octane since the 80's with no fuel-related problems that I know of. I go through about 75 gallons per year, best I can figure. About 50-60 gallons per year on the Kohler in the PT425, and another 25 in the tiller, generator, walk-behind mower, weed eater, log splitter, and chainsaws. Some years more, some years less. I've had one mushy fuel line in a chainsaw. It was under $1 repair. Not even sure if it was ethanol related.

I'm wondering if it's a regional thing, refinery related, climate? I don't know. I store the gas in sealed plastic jugs, if that makes a difference to anyone. I don't drain my tanks of fuel. The exception might be the chainsaws, as when I'm cutting firewood, if it runs out of gas for the 4th or 5th time of the day, I'm usually worn out, so I leave it empty.

I do put Stabil in my generator, but only because I'm paranoid because of you folks here on TBN. I store that unit topped off.

I had a mid 70's IH2500b 50hp 4 cylinder gas tractor for about 10 years. Way over 4000 hours when I bought it in the early 90s. I always left it partially filled with gas out on our tree farm over the winter. I'd always check the fuel bowl each spring and never saw water. It would start right up in spring. It had other issues, but no fuel issues. Again, E10 87 octane.

I'm still convinced (again, no scientific evidence) that the more people mess with their fuel systems (carb adjustments, filters, fuel treatments, etc...) the more problems they probably induce themselves.

Follow your factory manual recommendations. It's just that easy.

/ Premix vs gas station 2 stroke #43  
Anyone use the premix store bought ethanol free 2 stroke fuel? Debating if it’s worth the extra cost for the saws and trimmers.
I just buy the premixed stuff for as long as the warranty is in place. Then I keep the can around and so that others don't put straight gas in the tank(s).

/ Premix vs gas station 2 stroke #44  
Personally if I've got problems with fuel it's more of the "it's loud, stinky, and messy" and the solution there isn't more expensive fuel but to get battery-powered if possible.

We've already gone to a battery powered blower (super good move). I'd like to switch out my small chain saw (14") but I'm not sure if either of the battery lines we're using or likely to use in the future make the right saw (blower is 80v green works - possible, shop tools are 18v ryobi - nope).
This is the way (in my opinion). For all the small equipment that is used infrequently, instead of spending a day and $$ on new fuel lines almost every time I came to use it, I went electric.
I started out with a battery hedge trimmer, and slowly added more of the same brand. My two favorites are the 14" chainsaw (not good for a burly lumberjack spending entire days in the woods, but perfect for those small jobs; firewood, construction waste etc) and the weed whacker. Now my wife & kids are happy to grab a tool, grab a battery and go to work. They did not enjoy the small gas engine struggle either!

I'm now 5 years in, and have Hedge trimmer, chainsaw, leaf blower, lawn mower, weed whacker + a couple of others. They're all the same brand and the batteries are interchangeable. For example, with the big battery, I get around 40 mins on the weed whacker. With the small battery I get around18. But with 4 batteries, it's perfect for occasional work.

FWIW, I have tried Ryobi "one" and it's a joke. My good stuff is EGO, Gas Power, Guaranteed—Browse all Cordless Outdoor Tools | EGO and I've always bought the returns/discounted versions. The batteries appear to be as good today as they always were (touch wood) as modern lithium ion cells don't fail over time the same way the old ni-cads used to.

Sorry for the off-topic. Back the topic at hand, the key is not in pre-mix, the key is in ethanol free (as many people have already pointed out).

/ Premix vs gas station 2 stroke #45  
Anyone use the premix store bought ethanol free 2 stroke fuel? Debating if it’s worth the extra cost for the saws and trimmers.
I have an old Grady White sportsman with a 115hp Yamaha 2-stroke motor. The motor is a 1990. I run pure gas (premixed) from various sources for it, but not all the time. It definitely runs much better with it than pump gas. I have an old Porsche 911 (74), which is the same deal. It requires higher octane pure gas. Today's alcohol mix is not good for the fuel and injector lines. While I sometimes run the car with high octane pump gas. I never let it sit for any period of time with it. Modern oils are also engineered with different additives today than they were in 1974, so I have to use special oil for that car too, and change it frequently. I also have a (4-stroke) snowblower, riding lawn mower, regular lawn mower, packer and generator; a two stroke Stihl chain saw and Husqvarna trimmer, and a diesel tractor and a diesel Bobcat. So I spend a lot of time dealing with various fuel issues. I never leave any of my tanks full, or fuel lines with, pump gas for storage. I run them dry with pump gas first, then fill them with pure gas, either 4 or two stroke, as necessary. I can't get any real gas at the pump unless I go to an airport or race track, and the octane is too high. It's a real pain in the butt in the US. In Canada it's not an issue because they can get Shell V-power and Canada Power 91 pure gas everywhere (and various Chevron, Costco and Irving in different locations) at the pump. So I pay about $65 for 5 gallon containers of pure gas from Sunoco and VP Racing, and try to make sure I drain all cans within a year and don't let even that gas sit in any of my tanks for too much longer than a year.

/ Premix vs gas station 2 stroke #46  
This is the way (in my opinion). For all the small equipment that is used infrequently, instead of spending a day and $$ on new fuel lines almost every time I came to use it, I went electric.
I started out with a battery hedge trimmer, and slowly added more of the same brand. My two favorites are the 14" chainsaw (not good for a burly lumberjack spending entire days in the woods, but perfect for those small jobs; firewood, construction waste etc) and the weed whacker. Now my wife & kids are happy to grab a tool, grab a battery and go to work. They did not enjoy the small gas engine struggle either!

I'm now 5 years in, and have Hedge trimmer, chainsaw, leaf blower, lawn mower, weed whacker + a couple of others. They're all the same brand and the batteries are interchangeable. For example, with the big battery, I get around 40 mins on the weed whacker. With the small battery I get around18. But with 4 batteries, it's perfect for occasional work.

FWIW, I have tried Ryobi "one" and it's a joke. My good stuff is EGO, Gas Power, Guaranteed—Browse all Cordless Outdoor Tools | EGO and I've always bought the returns/discounted versions. The batteries appear to be as good today as they always were (touch wood) as modern lithium ion cells don't fail over time the same way the old ni-cads used to.

Sorry for the off-topic. Back the topic at hand, the key is not in pre-mix, the key is in ethanol free (as many people have already pointed out).

Yes, the key is to buy ethanol free gasoline. Ethanol should have never been put into gasoline.

/ Premix vs gas station 2 stroke #47  
I've had no issues with my mixed gas sitting around from season to season in my Sthil equipment. Use only premium non ethanol fuel. Pre mix might be good for companies / organizations that don't have employees capable of mixing oil / fuel correctly.

/ Premix vs gas station 2 stroke #48  
I Recently started buying premixed for my chainsaws. Im surprised that no one else has mentioned the exhaust smell. It reminds me of my younger days around the drag strip. I guess its just nostalgic, but I like it. I used to be a total "Stihl oil only Nazi" But my friend (who owns the hardware store) talked me into trying premixed this winter. No more than I use a year, it is very convenient. No more knocked over fuel cans in the woods and all of a sudden you are out of fuel at 10 AM. Plus, I sometimes pay others to use my saw and cut wood for me while I am out working. If I had forgotten to refill my 2 cycle can, He would be out of something to do, as I do not let anyone else mix my fuel. Now he can just ride 1/4 mile up the road and put a can on my account if he needs to.
Last year I pulled out my straight shaft Stihl trimmer. It had sat for several years with Stihl mixed from 87oct e10, I put a new primer bulb, Dumped the gas and put fresh of the same kind. She cranked right up. I had already bought a carb kit, I was sure It had sat too long, but It didn't need it.
That Stihl oil must have some decent stabilizers in it.

/ Premix vs gas station 2 stroke #49  
I swear by the Pre-mixed fuels for my chainsaws (husqvarna ), never noticed the smell difference but the stuff is 95 octane. It is expensive stuff, suppose to have a long shelf life which is important to me. My dealer says that husqvarna will extend the warranty on their chainsaws to 5 years if you use their brand of gas.