Driverless Cars

/ Driverless Cars #561  
IMG_1336.JPG

MoKelly

/ Driverless Cars #562  
   / Driverless Cars #563  
Yep, human drivers only kill about 90 humans per day (annual average) - - Tesla has a count somewhere in the single digits (several years) and having the back-up human watching videos is a bad strategy.

/ Driverless Cars #564  
Two years later and Tesla still does not have Full Self Driving ready but it is 8x safer than a human driven car without the Tesla self driving features.
How did you come up with that "statistic"? Another one you just pulled out of thin air?

/ Driverless Cars #565  
Yep, human drivers only kill about 90 humans per day (annual average) - - Tesla has a count somewhere in the single digits (several years)
Only a miniscule percentage of the vehicles on the road are Teslas making a statement like that statistically irrelevant.

/ Driverless Cars #566  
Only a miniscule percentage of the vehicles on the road are Teslas making a statement like that statistically irrelevant.
Unable to process without a meaningful definition of "miniscule".
There are enough of them about to rile up 57 pages of posts about (semi)autonomous vehicles here.

I have driven one, also put it into auto pilot mode, it drives better than I do - - and I have more decades of "experience" than I care to divuge here.
Yeah, that is probably the biggest problem with humans, gathering experience accumulates losses (lives, property damage, etc) vs blasting rules/knowledge/experience into code - - oh, we said that already.

/ Driverless Cars #567  
Just my opinion but I believe driverless cars will be safer and more efficient.

I spent my career on the road. Ask any pro truck driver what they think about human drivers. Many incompetent coupled with a bad attitude.

And it's far worse here than any other place i've driven.

Something about that....."i'm american and i pay taxes so i can squat in the left lane" ......

that does not happen in any of the other places ive driven.

I think robot policemen are a better solution also.

/ Driverless Cars #569  
Just my opinion but I believe driverless cars will be safer and more efficient.

I spent my career on the road. Ask any pro truck driver what they think about human drivers. Many incompetent coupled with a bad attitude.

And it's far worse here than any other place i've driven.

Something about that....."i'm american and i pay taxes so i can squat in the left lane" ......

that does not happen in any of the other places ive driven.

I think robot policemen are a better solution also.
I guess you've never driven outside the US :eek:

/ Driverless Cars #570  
... probably the biggest problem with humans, gathering experience accumulates losses (lives, property damage, etc)

That statement also applies to humans putting things into coding..... and it's usually compounded by the fact that the coder (particularly at larger corporations) generally has little-to-no knowledge pertinent to what it is they're coding (assuming they even know/understand what it is they are coding). Though even if/when they do, they tend to think about it only from their own life experiences which can be very limited (e.g. a native Floridian or southern Californian who's never left isn't going to know much about driving in snow or on ice).

Add in how so many humans believe their own life experiences are somehow universal or absolute and it makes getting the poorly designed code/systems corrected an absolute pain ....well, until either a sufficient amount of money has been lost due to the ignorance/negligence - or the loss of life has been enough the liable entity/company doesn't want the negative attention anymore.

Automated driving may eventually become more widespread, but any automated system will be limited to executing the instructions/code it's designers implemented. ...and those designers are far from perfect (hence the concept/existence of "recalls").

Really until a lot of humans choose to improve their own behavior creating more tools/automation is just pushing the same old "imperfect humans" problem around.....

- speaking as an engineer who's career is focused on finding (& preferably preventing) the screw-ups of other engineers/scientists/coders (can be rather eye-opening how often designers will ignore the lessons of the past ....with some choosing to do so even after their noses have been rubbed in them)