Dealing with leaves on a scut

/ Dealing with leaves on a scut #1  

cperky

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 1025r with 120r front end loader, Hustler zero turn mower
I have been using a backpack blower to to deal with the leaves. It takes me 3 to 4 hours each session as the leaves fall in autumn. I have to repeat these sessions for 3 to 5 weekends to get them moved. Anybody using a sub compact for leaf removal? Is there a rear 3pt rake that works for you? I realize it’s not leaf season but I am considering a scut tractor purchase and I’m looking at leaf removal as one of my considerations in my purchase decision.

/ Dealing with leaves on a scut #3  
I use the ZTR mower with high lift blades late fall to mulch and blow the leaves to the fence/tree lines. Works best when the leaves are dry.

/ Dealing with leaves on a scut #4  
There some tow behind blowers are market.

/ Dealing with leaves on a scut #5  
I mulch them in to the grass each fall with the mower blowing the remaining windrow into fern bed along the brook. The fern bed benefits and no dead grass from being smothered. The organic matter help with the thatch.

/ Dealing with leaves on a scut #6  
I have been using a backpack blower to to deal with the leaves. It takes me 3 to 4 hours each session as the leaves fall in autumn. I have to repeat these sessions for 3 to 5 weekends to get them moved. Anybody using a sub compact for leaf removal? Is there a rear 3pt rake that works for you? I realize it’s not leaf season but I am considering a scut tractor purchase and I’m looking at leaf removal as one of my considerations in my purchase decision.
Deere has a material collection system for their SCUTs. Not sure if the other brands do.

There are 3 point hitch blowers or you can go aftermarket for a material collection system such as Cyclone Rake.

/ Dealing with leaves on a scut #7  
Our church in Whippany, NJ had about 5 acres with LOTS of big, mature oak trees on it. We'd had 2 Sears lawn tractors with underbelly mowers for the grass for a number of years, and they were a PITA to service. For leaf removal, they had an engine that mounted behind the seat and took suction with a flex hose off the discharge of the underbelly mower and discharged to a covered trailer behind.

Well, I got some relief from my work travel schedule in about the mid 80s and told them I'd take it over again (did it a couple years in the 70s) if they'd let me buy a ZT mower. They did. Bought a 3 blade Scag. That thing would mow the grass in half the time. For the leaves, I just discharged everything inside the BIG circle until the machine was about to cough up its guts. Then I reversed for a round and then turned it back around to do the same thing all over again. Worked great. If it was a mulcher like our walkbehind JD and Honda mowers, it'd chop them like a real champ. Don't know why anyone collects leaves unless they want them for compost. I used to collect about 100 bags of leaves that the silly town peopled just put at their curbs. They finally quit doing that, as the company that normally collected the leaf bags just tells them to rake them to the curb now where they suck them up.

Ralph

/ Dealing with leaves on a scut #8  
I blow them into big piles and push the piles where I want them with the bucket

/ Dealing with leaves on a scut #9  
The method of dealing with leaves would greatly depend on how much area you have.

I blow them off the patio into the yard until they pretty much stop falling. Then I sweep with a 42 inch lawn sweeper and spread the piles around my azaleas. By then the leaves aren't falling as much and it's mowing season.

/ Dealing with leaves on a scut #10  
I will tie this into your other thread but I have a mulch kit on my current JD 2025r and had one on my past tractor, a Kubota BX. They both chop up the leaves really well if things are dry and the leaves aren’t matted down. It’s as fast as you can mow.