Fueling tractor

/ Fueling tractor #12  
I've noticed - my five gallon Jerry cans aren't getting any lighter. So... one of these days.

/ Fueling tractor #13  
Or buy a tractor with the tank down low.

/ Fueling tractor #14  
I just bought a 12v oil extractor pump (Ironton from Nothern Tools) on sale at $25. It pumps diesel well at 0.75 gpm.

I had one before but used it to extract hot oil from the Miata. Ruined the seals. They refunded my money.

Even with the leaky seals, it would move diesel.

Wish I'd discovered it before installing a little pump on my generator to move diesel from its underbelly tank for the tractor.

I'd been using a 2 gallon container to transfer from generator belly to tractor to avoid the 5 gallon lift. I don't do the entire lift from floor to tractor hood at once. Lift to above the brake pedals and then step up and lift onto the hood. With 2 gallon container, I pour it right in. With 5 gallon, I use a squeeze siphon.

/ Fueling tractor #15  
Just use an el cheapo HF battery powered pump in the 5 gallon jugs. Sure, it's slow but I am in no hurry.
amazon has these small pumps

I will use a 55 gal barrel with hand pump as I had a vw rabbi;t diesel 53 mpg on highway back ;in the 80's and had a 275 gal fuel tank that I used a hand pump the kind you push the handle back and forth didn't take very long to pump 10 gallons. I am going to
get a set of pallet forks and sit the barrel on it in my shop and then
when its empty put it in the back of my pickup and go get the red
diesel so I don't have to pay road tax as it will not be used on the
road so why pay road tax for cutting grass????

willy

/ Fueling tractor #16  
I'm fortunate enough to be able to fill mine from the ground. The tank is in front of the steps on the left side of tractor. I fill it from 5 gal jugs while standing next to tractor.

/ Fueling tractor #17  
I bought a GPI 12 Volt drum / transfer pump and 55 gallon drums and fitted the pump with Goldenrod filter over 20years ago and it's been a pretty good setup.

Nice to be able to fill up the mower and a tractor without messing with 5 gallon cans & spouts.

You can save a bunch if you buy & store off-road Diesel fuel when the price is low as it was about year ago.
We go through just over one drum-full per year normally, mostly for mowing.

Last edited:
   / Fueling tractor #18  
I have a 55 gal drum I used to pump e85 from. It's a plastic drum with two caps that screw in place on the big lid. I fitted a schrader valve to one of them, and a pex pipe through the other with a hose and ball valve connected at the top. I would connect my 18v compressor to the schrader valve set for about 3 psi and the fuel would start to flow up and out beautifully.

I've wondered if I could use the same thing for the diesel for my new tractor, but I doubt I'll go through it very quickly. I was afraid of it sitting too long. I can make room for it in a 10x12 she'd, but it is not insulated or air conditioned.

/ Fueling tractor #19  
These 5 gal.can breaks my shoulders

Attachments

• IMG_1951.jpg
    IMG_1951.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 384

/ Fueling tractor #20  
I have a couple of 44's (gallons - ours are bigger than yours) which I fill at the local servo, then unload them off the ute (pickup) at home with the help of the bucket or forks. Then an armstrong rotary pump to fill 20 litre oil drums - I have five of those.

Come refueling time, lift one of those onto the floor of the cabin, and siphon the diesel into the tank.

Current tractor tank holds 95 litres, and I've always used a calibrated dipstick before each day's work to check whether the tank will take another 20 litres.

A previous tractor, a Fordson Super Major, with a tank mounted high up level with the steering wheel, was a real pain. Required a balancing act to perch a 20 litre drum on a plastic milk crate balancing on two timber offcuts on the fuel tank to keep it level. I was glad to see the back of that system!