Talk me OUT of buying a 1025R please...

/ Talk me OUT of buying a 1025R please... #1  

lowepg

Tractor
Mahindra 1640HST
Good friend is selling his 1025R TLB - bought it 6months ago to build a shed- now selling it as his project it done.... offering a nice deal on a nearly new tractor with attachments.

My needs:
We have a cabin we're building at 15 acres in west NC mountains.
I have a brand new, freshly made 3000' gravel driveway that winds up a hill to our cabin. I can already tell (after 3-4 months of use), it will need regular care/maintenance.
So thats one primary use- maintaining a LONG gravel road.
I would also envision using the tractor for helping to move cut logs for splitting.... some over uneven terrain.
Light digging (post holes)
occasional snow clearing (couple times a year)

My GUT tells me the 1025R would be marginal in this application- even though it's somewhat occasional use...

Please feel free to recommend a MORE suitable JD as well...

Last edited:
   / Talk me OUT of buying a 1025R please... #2  
I think the 1025 would be less than marginal for 3000' of uphill driveway maint. Jeff will be along shortly to tell you it doesn't weigh enough, and he'll be right.

/ Talk me OUT of buying a 1025R please... #3  
You can do a lot with a 1025 but I think you will run into limitations because of the small tires, limited ground clearance and light weight. I have a 2320 and regularly find it's limits. I have 4 flat acres.

/ Talk me OUT of buying a 1025R please...
You can do a lot with a 1025 but I think you will run into limitations because of the small tires, limited ground clearance and light weight. I have a 2320 and regularly find it's limits. I have 4 flat acres.
Thank you...

So what WOULD you recommend?

/ Talk me OUT of buying a 1025R please... #5  
Listen to your gut

/ Talk me OUT of buying a 1025R please... #6  
Ground clearance due to larger wheels and tires is the single greatest difference in tractor specs between (all brands) of Subcompact tractors and the lightest Compact tractors. Larger wheels and tires permit compact tractors to bridge holes, ruts and tree debris with less operator and implement perturbation relative to subcompact tractors. One can mow a field faster with larger wheels and tires. One or two mph with larger wheels/tires will significantly reduce field mowing time.

Compact tractors have greater FEL lift capacity than Subcompacts. Compact tractors usually have three-range (3) HST transmissions. Compact tractors generally draw 54" or 60" implements. Allowing for a 6" overlap in use, a considerable improvement over 48" implements.

Five reasons owner/operators trade up from a Subcompact Tractor:
More tractor weight.
More FEL lift capacity.
Greater ground clearance
Three-range (3) HST transmission rather than two-range (2) HST transmission.
(Lower LOW, Higher, HIGH) (Higher ground speed.)
More tractor engine horsepower to operate wider PTO powered implements.

My needs:
I have a brand new, freshly made 3000' gravel driveway that winds up a hill to our cabin. I can already tell (after 3-4 months of use), it will need regular care/maintenance.
I would also envision using the tractor for helping to move cut logs for splitting.... some over uneven terrain.
occasional snow clearing with FEL or front snow push box or front plow (couple times a year)

All above applications require ample tractor weight. If your land is flat, a tractor with a bare weight of 2,700 - 2,900 pounds should be adequate.

Tractors are inherently unstable operating on sloped ground. Tractor rear wheel/tire spread, sometimes adjustable, is a critical factor increasing compact tractor stability working sloped or uneven ground. A 6" to 10" increase in rear axle width substantially decreases tractor rollover potential. Tractor width is an approximation of rear axle width.

If your 15 acres is hilly consider a tractor of 3,500 - 4,000 pounds bare weight. Weight and width will provide a much wider safety margin on hilly land.

When considering a tractor purchase bare tractor weight first, tractor horsepower second, rear axle width third (stability), rear wheel/tire ballast fourth (stability and traction).

Last edited:
   / Talk me OUT of buying a 1025R please...
Ground clearance due to larger wheels and tires is the single greatest difference in tractor specs between (all brands) of Subcompact tractors and the lightest Compact tractors. Larger wheels and tires permit compact tractors to bridge holes, ruts and tree debris with less operator and implement perturbation relative to subcompact tractors. One can mow a field faster with larger wheels and tires. One or two mph with larger wheels/tires will significantly reduce field mowing time.

Compact tractors have greater FEL lift capacity than Subcompacts. Compact tractors usually have three-range (3) HST transmissions. Compact tractors generally draw 54" or 60" implements. Allowing for a 6" overlap in use, a considerable improvement over 48" implements.

Five reasons owner/operators trade up from a Subcompact Tractor:
More tractor weight.
More FEL lift capacity.
Greater ground clearance
Three-range (3) HST transmission rather than two-range (2) HST transmission.
(Lower LOW, Higher, HIGH) (Higher ground speed.)
More tractor engine horsepower to operate wider PTO powered implements.

My needs:
occasional snow clearing with FEL or front snow push box or front plow (couple times a year)

All above applications require ample tractor weight. If your land is flat, a tractor with a bare weight of 2,700 - 2,900 pounds should be adequate.

Tractors are inherently unstable operating on sloped ground. Tractor rear wheel/tire spread, sometimes adjustable, is a critical factor increasing compact tractor stability working sloped or uneven ground. A 6" to 10" increase in rear axle width substantially decreases tractor rollover potential. Tractor width is an approximation of rear axle width.

If your 15 acres is hilly consider a tractor of 3,500 - 4,000 pounds bare weight. Weight and width will provide a much wider safety margin on hilly land.

When considering a tractor purchase bare tractor weight first, tractor horsepower second, rear axle width third (stability), rear wheel/tire ballast fourth (stability and traction).
Thank you.

We are "hilly" for sure.

My contractor nearly got his bulldozer stuck driving up the path from the river... :)

1025R (good deal be damned) is OUT..... not trying to decide which COMPACT is the best fit (for land and pocketbook!)

/ Talk me OUT of buying a 1025R please... #8  
Thank you...

So what WOULD you recommend?
Since it doesn't look like you are going to be mowing, if your budget allows, I would be looking at a 3 series John Deere or the equivalent. The largest 2 series would probably be OK but check out the 3 series. Of course, I'm a JD guy so I don't know about the other brands, but I'm sure they all have similar machines that are capable.

/ Talk me OUT of buying a 1025R please... #9  
Good friend is selling his 1025R TLB - bought it 6months ago to build a shed- now selling it as his project it done.... offering a nice deal on a nearly new tractor with attachments.

My needs:
occasional snow clearing (couple times a year)

My GUT tells me the 1025R would be marginal in this application- even though it's somewhat occasional use...

Please feel free to recommend a MORE suitable JD as well...
JD 1025R is WAY TOO SMALL for your needs!
It would not be a NOT a "nice deal" for you!
No other dealers around?
Kubota? Yanmar? LS? Kioti? etc.
Must it be a John Deere?

/ Talk me OUT of buying a 1025R please... #10  
Have you seen this:

willy