Why are people in Indianapolis going postal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Why are people in Indianapolis going postal. #61  
In my opinion, anyone who commits mass homicide IS MENTALLY ILL
I think everyone here would agree that if that is your definition of mentally ill then all mass murderers are mentally ill.
But apparently the FBI thinks differently.
The Founding Fathers should have explained:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
better.
I think all citizens should be required to serve in the "armed forces" similar to the Israel system. With a mandatory training in small arms.

/ Why are people in Indianapolis going postal. #62  
So, if the media is to fault, why has the public turned into sheeple? Why do the people let other's think for them and why do they believe them? The media doesn't control me as I can do further research or turn the channel. If I do a crime, I will be the one to blame. Many people seem to think you can always blame someone else for what they do.

/ Why are people in Indianapolis going postal. #63  
So, yes or no, you agree with me that most people who commit mass shootings are mentally ill?

I agree. There is no doubt in my mind.

No human being can do something like this and NOT be mentally ill at the time. (Or mentally altered by drugs).

What no one knows is why? What snapped in the brain? Human being understanding of the brain is not advanced. We know very little.

MoKelly

/ Why are people in Indianapolis going postal. #64  
This is "out there" I understand, but all one has to do is look to see where Jerry Falwell Jr is with the lawsuit HIS university leveled against him per where our society is going.

The reality is due to information and technology, everything is out there.

Personally, I think we probably have the same percentage of screwed up people in our socitey 100 years ago, things are just easier today and information is a lot quicker.

/ Why are people in Indianapolis going postal. #65  
Which one is it?
You are talking out of both sides of your neck.....
No. While you and I agree that someone might have a screw loose, they still might not fit the definition of mentally ill. According to the FBI, 75% of them do not fit that definition.

/ Why are people in Indianapolis going postal. #66  
This is "out there" I understand, but all one has to do is look to see where Jerry Falwell Jr is with the lawsuit HIS university leveled against him per where our society is going.

The reality is due to information and technology, everything is out there.

Personally, I think we probably have the same percentage of screwed up people in our socitey 100 years ago, things are just easier today and information is a lot quicker.
I think you are correct about the percentages. It's been discussed before. Back in 1961, when I was born, the world population was around 3 billion people. If 10% of the population were criminals, perverts, evil, etc., there were 300 million of them. 60 years later, 2021, the world population is 7.8 billion people. If 10% of the population is criminals, perverts, evil, etc., there are now 780 million of them. You're odds of living next to one is now more than 2.5 times more likely, even though the percentage is exactly the same.

So the reason it seems there are more occurrences of bad behavior is because there ARE more occurrences of bad behavior, even though the percentage is exactly the same as it was 60 years ago.

/ Why are people in Indianapolis going postal. #67  
Perhaps this is why the FBI does not want to classify folks as mentally ill.

IMG_1351.JPG

Law enforcement tends not to want to give bad guys a legal escape route or be criticized for being tough with mentally ill perps.

Maybe.

MoKelly

/ Why are people in Indianapolis going postal. #68  
Because those gun owners are mentally ill. Mental illness can set in after someone has purchased legally obtained firearms.
Thanks to Roe v. Wade, people have a right to medical privacy, which extends to psychiatric treatment. Unless a therapist believes their patient is an imminent threat, they are forbidden to contact the police. A history of mental illness rarely shows up on the FBI background check. The only information is provided by the purchaser in a check box. If they say they are not a drunk, druggie, or lunatic, their approval sails right on through.

Not that the United States provides treatment for mental illness. It's an invisible affliction. We have all met our share of crazies. Most of them are harmless. Some are not.

/ Why are people in Indianapolis going postal. #69  
Every case is going to have some differences...but other than personal vengeance (work environment) and family disputes...a large number of these killings are the result of a "bully me now" (say hello to my little friend) reaction...

/ Why are people in Indianapolis going postal. #70  
Mostly stolen. You don’t see a lot of registered firearms being used by their rightful owners to commit crimes.
Most firearms crimes are committed by unlawfully possessed, unregistered, or stolen firearms.
Oh and by the way, If ANYONE (even those related to prominent government figures) fills out a firearms registration form illegally, they should be prosecuted.
I believe you're wrong, but I don't have any data to back my line of thinking.

I think general crime committed with firarms may have the gun unregistered to the actual shooter, but when it comes to "mass shootings", I'm thinking most firearms are legally owned by the shooter or the shooters family that the shooter had access to.

Just thinking out loud with no data again, between handguns and rifles, I'd think you'll find a higher percentage of illegally obtain handguns over rifles per how the weapons were obtained by the shooter.

Status
Not open for further replies.