Why are people in Indianapolis going postal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Why are people in Indianapolis going postal. #51  
Until you get to the category of mass shootings. An overwhelmingly large number of mass shooters obtained their firearms legally.

Because those gun owners are mentally ill. Mental illness can set in after someone has purchased legally obtained firearms.

/ Why are people in Indianapolis going postal. #54  
That would be incorrect as well. Only 25% of them were proven to be mentally ill.
Depends on who is doing the analysis of mental illness and what politics the statistical sources are.
All the statistics you quote could have pro gun or anti gun agendas.

The report you cite is from 2000-2013. That’s a very small swath of time.

In my opinion, anyone who commits mass homicide IS MENTALLY ILL

Are you telling me 75% of all people who commit mass homicides are perfectly normal people?
Seriously?? I call total BS on that!
I see how you love your little statistics and articles to make you look factually correct. I don’t trust most of them. Therefore your “corrections” mean nothing to me.

Last edited:
   / Why are people in Indianapolis going postal. #55  
Depends on who is doing the analysis of mental illness and what politics the statistical sources are.
All the statistics you quote could have pro gun or anti gun agendas.

in my opinion, anyone who commits mass homicide IS MENTALLY ILL

Are you telling me 75% of all people who commit mass homicides are perfectly normal people?
Seriously?? I call total BS on that!
No. I'm sure it takes someone who is not of sound mind to commit a crime like that. However, the FBI reports that of the ones they have studied, only 25% of them would qualify as mentally ill.

/ Why are people in Indianapolis going postal. #56  
No. I'm sure it takes someone who is not of sound mind to commit a crime like that. However, the FBI reports that of the ones they have studied, only 25% of them would qualify as mentally ill.
So, yes or no, you agree with me that most people who commit mass shootings are mentally ill?

/ Why are people in Indianapolis going postal. #57  
Back in 2002 I was working at the local newspaper. I was the only one in the building around 7:00am. I was walking through the empty newsroom and the police scanner was going nuts. I started listening, and it soon became apparent there was a mass shooting situation going on at a local factory. I started taking notes immediately and phoning some reporters. I followed it as the police chased the suspect. He stopped a couple times and got out and shot at the police and continued on. I remember hearing one of the officers reporting he was hit, but continued the chase. Stopped in front of a local school where kids were being unloaded from buses. Fortunately he moved on. Finally, he shot himself in the still moving van and it rolled to a stop. Coincidentally, he shot himself directly in front of an acquaintance of mine's home. He died at the scene.

It was really hard to listen to it on the scanner as it unfolded in real time. The concerns and heightened tensions in the police officers' voices was intense.

In the end, he'd killed 4 people in the factory.

That was 19 years ago and I still remember it pretty clearly. Several of the reports that worked on the case were pretty shaken up by it as well. Some of them knew some of the victims and their families.

That was the first one that really touched home for me.

/ Why are people in Indianapolis going postal. #59  
That would be incorrect as well. Only 25% of them were proven to be mentally ill.
Which one is it?
You are talking out of both sides of your neck.....

/ Why are people in Indianapolis going postal. #60  
I lived in Indy for 45 years, it's a nice town, I think it's just the outside part of statistics that it happens to have had so many. However, people are, as someone said, looking to be infamous on the way out. If the :mad: media would stop hyping everything and just objectively report the news (remember when news was objective?), we'd have a whole lot less of all of the problems we have.
No, when was the news ever really objective?

Status
Not open for further replies.