Top Dressing Driveway - Gravel or Crushed Concrete

/ Top Dressing Driveway - Gravel or Crushed Concrete #1  

JohnnyMX

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5200
I have a 1/2 mile driveway that I need to do something with. I was thinking about just adding some gravel, but the person at the quarry said they have recycled .5-1" crushed concrete for $9/ton vs $20/ton. I haven't worked with it ever and couldn't find much online.

I have a tractor, loader, boxblade and am considering a land plane for spreading and maintaining. Will a crushed gravel surface allow me to freshen it up with a land plane just like gravel would? Any downsides to that material from anyone who's used it?

/ Top Dressing Driveway - Gravel or Crushed Concrete #2  
.5 to 1 inch is pretty big to get a good finish....as a base, it would work good. If the max was .5", I would jump on it immediately.

Does the concrete have any fines in it? If your using it as a top dressing, it should really have a lot of fines and dust in it to lock in the chunks.

Part of our 1/2 mile drive, on a slight incline, has now lost most of the fines (25 years old) and a bunch of the 1" rocks are now loosening.... talk about a rough ride.... and it's now about impossible to grade it smooth.

I am planning on dropping about 200 tons of 3/4" minus.... about 50% of the mix is 1/4" down to powder. Easy to grade and smooth. Packs in like concrete.

/ Top Dressing Driveway - Gravel or Crushed Concrete #3  
I used crushed concrete for a project last year and did not like it. The fines were more sticky (almost like mud) than the fines in a crusher run material. And there was still a fair bit of metal scraps in the material. We wasted a lot of time with a metal detector and magnet trying to get it all. I went back to regular crusher run for my next project.

/ Top Dressing Driveway - Gravel or Crushed Concrete #4  
I’ve seen it before and it looked ok. I’ve never used it though.

/ Top Dressing Driveway - Gravel or Crushed Concrete #5  
I used crushed concrete for a project last year and did not like it. The fines were more sticky (almost like mud) than the fines in a crusher run material. And there was still a fair bit of metal scraps in the material. We wasted a lot of time with a metal detector and magnet trying to get it all. I went back to regular crusher run for my next project.

I agree, watch out for metal. Asphalt grindings make a nice top.

/ Top Dressing Driveway - Gravel or Crushed Concrete #6  
Another (n) for crushed concrete. Its got wire in it and IMO, doesn’t look as nice as granite of limestone. I did asphalt grindings for a customer last summer and it looked great.

/ Top Dressing Driveway - Gravel or Crushed Concrete #7  
From my experience, you really want to see crushed material that has a good balance of both coarse material and fines. When they are spread on the driveway, and after the first rain, all the fines are washed into the porous spaces between the coarse and makes for a very good solid driveway.

I use crushed limestone, which is about 80% coarse 20% fines, and after the first rain all the fines settle in, and it sets up almost like concrete.

/ Top Dressing Driveway - Gravel or Crushed Concrete #8  
Maybe crushed concrete for a lower layer with a gravel topping?

Bruce

/ Top Dressing Driveway - Gravel or Crushed Concrete #9  
My favourite is crushed limestone, it packs like concrete. Unfortunately its relatively expensive. I used 1" of 1/4 crusher run on 4" of 3/4 crusher over a 12 inch base of cheap B gravel. Takes heavy trucks nicely and no potholes anywhere. Easy to maintain.

/ Top Dressing Driveway - Gravel or Crushed Concrete #10  
This must be a regional thing. Here in East Texas, where rock is a rare thing and there are only a few quarries, and the choice between limestone or crushed concrete is like night and day.

Our limestone is fairly soft, so it wears out the more you drive on it. Over time, it breaks down, and eventually, just disappears into the soil, or washed away in the rain.

Crushed concrete is VERY HARD. You can use half as much to get the same compaction, and it never seems to wear away.

With limestone, 4 inches is the minimum, with more being better. Everywhere that I've added crushed concrete, it's solid no matter how much rain we get. It also doesn't break away and leave loose rocks on the surface like the limestone does. Both come mixed with different sizes from an inch and a half or so, on down to fines. Metal is very rare, but I have seen it in the crushed concrete. I just pick it up when I see it. Cost is about the same.