Top Dressing Driveway - Gravel or Crushed Concrete

pjbci

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 4840, Deere 5075e, 450j, Cat D4k2, Kobelco 160, Volvo EC140el, deere 310, komatsu D31px22, IH 1486, MF 135, MHF TO35
I just look for milling projects on local roads. They love to give them away. Cant get rid of them!
Heck, they pay us to haul em off.
4CDC0D20-AF76-4ACF-9E70-31A959F5B036.png

OP
J

JohnnyMX

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5200
I am nervous about millings as I don't think I can re-work them as easy as an aggregate product. My base isn't 100% and we get some heavy tractors on the driveway that work the fields. Here is a shot of the rock placed in the parking area and a shot of that area. Nice and flat area and vehicles are moving slowly here. You can see the driveway start. I have some spots that are still softer than others and I will start with some concrete there. If I have to re-top with crusher it will help build it up a bit.

Attachments

• gravelsize.jpg
    gravelsize.jpg
    380.2 KB · Views: 16
  • parkinglot.jpg
    parkinglot.jpg
    653.6 KB · Views: 16

fried1765

Tractor
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, 8N Ford, Gravely 12 HP "Professional", 48" SCAG Liberty
I am nervous about millings as I don't think I can re-work them as easy as an aggregate product. My base isn't 100% and we get some heavy tractors on the driveway that work the fields. Here is a shot of the rock placed in the parking area and a shot of that area. Nice and flat area and vehicles are moving slowly here. You can see the driveway start. I have some spots that are still softer than others and I will start with some concrete there. If I have to re-top with crusher it will help build it up a bit.
I agree with your assumption.
Asphalt millings will become more difficult to re-work as they firm up over time.
If you have a good solid base, millings are excellent.

zzvyb6

Elite Member
Tractor
jd 1070
I had gravel at first, then crushed concrete, then crushed asphalt. Asphalt was best maybe because it was fresh still with some tar in it. But, my room mate suggested uncrushed concrete and that's been the favorite by a long shot. No more stones, burned dogs feet, black marks on other surfaces, snowplow sidekick, and constant raking. Downside is that now its a racetrack. I installed a police type radar speed display to catch the race drivers. Been caught twice myself. But, I couldn't turn her suggestion down. !