Just another UDT oil question.

/ Just another UDT oil question. #31  
Cummins, like Kubota don't make their own filters, they are made by a 3rd tier supplier to Cummins specs.

Wonder if Cummins still has their blocks cast in India?
Cummins Filtration is a wholly owned subsidiary of Cummins, so yes, Cummins makes its own filters as well as Fleetguard branded filters.

/ Just another UDT oil question. #32  
Cummins, like Kubota don't make their own filters, they are made by a 3rd tier supplier to Cummins specs.

Possible, they have operations in India, China, Brazil, Mexico etc. Most of the previous blocks were cast in Brazil or Mexico, not sure about where the new CGI blocks are made.

Wish the US would change some regulations to make foundries more profitable here.

/ Just another UDT oil question. #33  

Incorrect. Cummins owns their own filtration company and makes their own filters. It's called Fleetguard these days and I think they still make them in Indiana near their HQ, not sure on that. They're a serious company. World wide manufacturers
No clue where their blocks are cast. I know that there were some bad ones that were cast in Brazil, I think. But that was on the 5.9 IIRC years ago.

/ Just another UDT oil question. #34  
Hey just to tell everyone I was told by my dealer Kubota has a lawsuit against TSC for their oil claim as to being equal to super udt 2 because they had tractors under warranty with the tsc branded oil and the pumps were failing. Don't be cheap just buy their oil. Also to save your oil on filter changes try the old shop vac over the fill hole to create a vacuum and hold the oil in till you get filters on.

/ Just another UDT oil question. #35  
Hey just to tell everyone I was told by my dealer Kubota has a lawsuit against TSC for their oil claim as to being equal to super udt 2 because they had tractors under warranty with the tsc branded oil and the pumps were failing. Don't be cheap just buy their oil. Also to save your oil on filter changes try the old shop vac over the fill hole to create a vacuum and hold the oil in till you get filters on.

Leaving aside the obvious fact that the dealer has his own vested interest in the matter, (in selling you a product that he carries and offers for sale ... at a significantly higher price) what he may be referring to is a couple of (?) class-action lawsuits that were brought against a number of companies (Tractor Supply among them) and at least one refiner, Citgo, over (so-called) "303 tractor hydraulic fluid":

WGBC Team Secures $19M Nationwide Class-Action Settlement

WGBC Team Obtains $1.7M Class-Action Settlement Against Tractor Supply Co.

Tractor Supply no longer sells this particular fluid, AFAIK.

Nor do they claim that their UTF is "equal to Super UDT 2" ...

/ Just another UDT oil question. #36  
$264 for Kubota UDT-2 is an outrageous price. I get it in Arkansas for about $120. I have also read several warnings about NOT using Kubota UDT-2. Your tractor is a good sized investment. The temptation to use unbranded or off brand parts is a big one, especially when a filter cost $70 and there are several of them. But there is more at stake using parts - especially udt-2 (involves steering, transmission, loader, 4wd front and even it you have wet brakes).
I also do all my maintenance and am glad I can save the service cost. But I stay with Kubota parts and fluids. My tractor is smaller than yours L4701 - my manual says (as others have mentioned) - at 50 hours, change or check the filter for any metal and clean magnet ring if needed. Top off is udt if low. The UDT change is called for at 400 hours. Check your neighbors manual or ask him to call his Kobota dealer about the 50 hr service. Best wishes, Larry

/ Just another UDT oil question. #37  
There are a ton of lubricant's that meet or exceed CAT TO-2 fluid (common on a lot of older CAT transmissions). Every Tom, Dick, and Harry offers a premium diesel engine oil meeting todays API standards. But not many fluids that meet or exceed Kubota's SUDT-2 specifications. "Equal to" is just marketing gibberish. Means nothing except deception.

I'm happy to sell you a cup of coffee "equal to" Dunkin Donuts. It will be warm, brown and liquid. And in a cup!

/ Just another UDT oil question. #38  
What I don’t understand is why folks use the manufactures stuff under the warranty period but go to generic stuff after the warranty expires.

Either the manufacturers stuff is best for the machine or it isn’t. Who wants their equipment to break down just because it’s no longer under warranty?

MoKelly

/ Just another UDT oil question. #39  
$264 for Kubota UDT-2 is an outrageous price. I get it in Arkansas for about $120. I have also read several warnings about NOT using Kubota UDT-2. Your tractor is a good sized investment. The temptation to use unbranded or off brand parts is a big one, especially when a filter cost $70 and there are several of them. But there is more at stake using parts - especially udt-2 (involves steering, transmission, loader, 4wd front and even it you have wet brakes).
I also do all my maintenance and am glad I can save the service cost. But I stay with Kubota parts and fluids. My tractor is smaller than yours L4701 - my manual says (as others have mentioned) - at 50 hours, change or check the filter for any metal and clean magnet ring if needed. Top off is udt if low. The UDT change is called for at 400 hours. Check your neighbors manual or ask him to call his Kobota dealer about the 50 hr service. Best wishes, Larry
I could be wrong but I took the $264 figure to be the price for a sufficient quantity of SUDT2 to accomplish the drain & fill on the MX. That would be more in line with typical retail prices per gallon/pail/whatever.

/ Just another UDT oil question. #40  
What I don’t understand is why folks use the manufactures stuff under the warranty period but go to generic stuff after the warranty expires.

That's pretty easy: they fear the manufacturer denying a claim should some failure happen within the warranty period.

Assumption being that once the warranty period is up they won't cover anything (something, to their credit, that is not always the case)

Either the manufacturers stuff is best for the machine or it isn’t. Who wants their equipment to break down just because it’s no longer under warranty?

One would assume no one.